“The real thing”

Watkins Museum and Store
Ranked #8 of 38 things to do in Winona
Reviewed 10 September 2013

The Watkins Products factory presents the history of the Watkins Company sales, manufacturing and products. Still the primary provider of " white vanilla" in the US, Watkins has produced lintament, snake oil, all sorts of home remedies for almost a hundred years. You can buy their products at the store or just tour. Either way this is a slice of Americana that should not be missed.

1  Thank John H

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was surprised just how much Watkins has been involved in Americanna. Spices, oils, military food packs at the turn of the century, extracts, rubbing compounds, you name it ...
Known (in my family anyway before I even moved in to the area) for pepper and vanilla extract, Watkins has an immense selection of spices. Can get any of them in the musuem store too!

Reviewed 21 August 2013

I had not been to Watkins for over a year. I was impressed with the refreshed look of the overall museum inside and out. I like the new outer sign and the replastered walls on the 2nd floor. My main objective was to see the new 2nd floor exhibit on early Lawrence and Quantrill's raid. I was pleasantly surprised at the eclectic mix of the teller's cages and sleek look of your photos and panels. It was all very informative and put faces to these familiar names in Lawrence history. I also liked the interactive oral map of the raid. My only suggestion would to have more artifacts on display. I realize this takes more time and funding so overall I was very pleased. Keep up the good work.

1  Thank Phyllis B
Reviewed 29 June 2013

This is a free museum!

It was interesting to walk through and see the photos & read the displays showing the history of the Watkins Company. It took me about 10 minutes MAX to walk through the displays, so it is just the right length to get the history and not so long that kids get squirmy and restless :)

The best part for me is that I stocked up on my Watkins products so I didn't have to order them from the catalog! I also got some "Christmas shopping" done :) The bottles of flavorings and spices are great stocking stuffers!

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Don't miss the framed reprint from the Oregonian about the door-to-door Watkins Products salesman with cerebral palsy. It'll bring tears to your eyes. The history of this Winona family company and its products is fascinating.

1  Thank JBPortland