See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I camp mostly as I bicycle cross country. Every now and again I come upon threatening weather and require more than just cloth for protection. I called a few of the chain hotels in the area, got prices, then called here, the Sugarloaf.
The owner, Swati runs a clean motel, that for the price, you can't go wrong.
I've been on the road now for 36 days and have seen the inside of expensive and cheap motels, the Sugarloaf compares to many that I have paid double the price.

Date of stay: July 2014
5  Thank Bretonman
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The Sugar Loaf is a small older motel that is family owned. I stayed 3 days and found my stay to be very comfortable and the price was good. Property has WiFi and is very close to everything and within walking distance to gas station and McDonalds. Staff is very nice and helpful. I would stay again when in town.

Room tip: Rooms to left side of office are away from the gas station and a bit more quiet, I had no issues w traffic noise. Motel shares driveway with Gas station and McDonalds
Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My son is a college student at Winona State and I visit Winona several times a year. Stayed here for the first time and was very satisfied with my stay. Agree with previous posts, motel has no special amenities and isn't too attractive. However, I checked out the room first and it was very clean and comfortably warm. Staff was very friendly. Has everything I need for a short weekend stay and I found the price to be great value for the quality of room I got. I've stayed at a few other places in Winona and will definitely return to Sugar Loaf Motel for the price. No complaints :-)

Room tip: Go check out the room before checking in. It will convince you to stay at the motel.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank John S
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I was visiting my son at college and decided to spend the night. There isn't a large selection of lodging options and the per night rate reflects it. I read about the Sugar Loaf Motel as old, but clean a fair price. I decided to try, checking the room out and if not acceptable ... go next door. Well it is an older building, but very clean and comfortable. It is right by Kwik Tirp, McDonalds and a busy intersection ... yet a quiet room. The linen was clean! The best part was paying a total price of $55, instead of near double or more. The room had a refrigerator, microwave, strong wireless signal and tv. It was a great value!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank DEAN D
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I do a lot of traveling for work. This February, I found myself in Winona, MN. After checking several hotel/motels in the area, I stopped in at the Sugar Loaf Motel. I was quoted a very good price for weekly stays and chose to call the Sugar Loaf my temporary home for two weeks. The rooms are clean and adequate in size. The water pressure for showers is great. There was a fridge, microwave, and desk table in my room. The wall mounted TV had a ton of channels, including HBO. The location is close to fuel and shopping, and within a couple miles of several places to eat. When I have to travel to, or through Winona, Minnesota I will be staying at the Sugar Loaf Motel.

• Trip type: Travelled on business