“Clean and affordable with friendly staff”
Review of Sugar Loaf Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winona
Sugar Loaf Motel
Ranked #3 of 4 Winona B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 August 2014

A very nice, small motel off of highway 61. The room was very clean, the bed comfortable and amenities included a small fridge and microwave. The staff was very friendly and let us check a few rooms before we decided on which room we wanted to stay in. The furniture has seen better days but it is hard to quibble since the price was right! A much better value than the surrounding hotels which were asking for twice the price with not much else more to offer.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JohnnyDeeelite

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I camp mostly as I bicycle cross country. Every now and again I come upon threatening weather and require more than just cloth for protection. I called a few of the chain hotels in the area, got prices, then called here, the Sugarloaf.
The owner, Swati runs a clean motel, that for the price, you can't go wrong.
I've been on the road now for 36 days and have seen the inside of expensive and cheap motels, the Sugarloaf compares to many that I have paid double the price.

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Bretonman
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The Sugar Loaf is a small older motel that is family owned. I stayed 3 days and found my stay to be very comfortable and the price was good. Property has WiFi and is very close to everything and within walking distance to gas station and McDonalds. Staff is very nice and helpful. I would stay again when in town.

Room Tip: Rooms to left side of office are away from the gas station and a bit more quiet, I had no issues w t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My son is a college student at Winona State and I visit Winona several times a year. Stayed here for the first time and was very satisfied with my stay. Agree with previous posts, motel has no special amenities and isn't too attractive. However, I checked out the room first and it was very clean and comfortably warm. Staff was very friendly. Has everything I need for a short weekend stay and I found the price to be great value for the quality of room I got. I've stayed at a few other places in Winona and will definitely return to Sugar Loaf Motel for the price. No complaints :-)

Room Tip: Go check out the room before checking in. It will convince you to stay at the motel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank John S
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I was visiting my son at college and decided to spend the night. There isn't a large selection of lodging options and the per night rate reflects it. I read about the Sugar Loaf Motel as old, but clean a fair price. I decided to try, checking the room out and if not acceptable ... go next door. Well it is an older building, but very clean and comfortable. It is right by Kwik Tirp, McDonalds and a busy intersection ... yet a quiet room. The linen was clean! The best part was paying a total price of $55, instead of near double or more. The room had a refrigerator, microwave, strong wireless signal and tv. It was a great value!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank DEAN D
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I do a lot of traveling for work. This February, I found myself in Winona, MN. After checking several hotel/motels in the area, I stopped in at the Sugar Loaf Motel. I was quoted a very good price for weekly stays and chose to call the Sugar Loaf my temporary home for two weeks. The rooms are clean and adequate in size. The water pressure for showers is great. There was a fridge, microwave, and desk table in my room. The wall mounted TV had a ton of channels, including HBO. The location is close to fuel and shopping, and within a couple miles of several places to eat. When I have to travel to, or through Winona, Minnesota I will be staying at the Sugar Loaf Motel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank zamguy2013
Reviewed 13 September 2013

This motel is a little gem that could easily be overlooked. There isn't a lot of parking and it's right next to a busy gas station, but it is worth getting around those issues. From the outside, it looks old and shabby, but the rooms are just old...and not in a bad way. I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the room and the condition of everything from the bathroom fixtures to the microwave and fridge. The room was very clean, comfortable, and quiet...despite the gas station just outside. The gentleman who checked me in was very friendly and helpful. The room provided a good selection of cable channels and I had strong, reliable internet access all night. My bill totaled an even $50, which was considerably less than the other area properties. The room DID have air condition and was quite comfortable. My bed had clean linen and I slept very well in it. I would not hesitate to stay here again if I get back to the area for a night.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business