“Doughnut-gasm. Pure and simple.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bloedow Bakery

Bloedow Bakery
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Winona
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Parking Available, Takeout
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Doughnut-gasm. Pure and simple.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

In the interest of full disclosure, I must inform you right away that Winona is my hometown. But, before I am accused of an inflated review based on misty-eyed nostalgia, I must also inform you that my long association with this quirky river town is more likely to make my review LESS glowing than it is to inflate it.

Disclaimers aside, y'all, this humble bakeshop in the middle of nowhere offers the best doughnuts I have ever eaten. The recipes, like the wallpaper, have not changed since the place opened, and that is what makes it awesome.

The line of salivating patrons goes out the door and down the block, and it's worth getting there as soon after they open as you can manage it. The pastries, which are delicious midday, are mindblowing at 7:30am. Plus, if you come midday, all the regulars will have snapped up the day's featured pastries, leaving you waiting until tomorrow to repent of your procrastination.

Bloedow's most famous offerings are their maple "long johns" as well as their filled pastries, called Bismarcks, which are produced on a schedule of various iterations on various days. They are succulent! Soft and tasty without any fake overtones or lingering weird aftertaste. The bread, cookies, and buns are fine, but the doughnuts are AMAZING. I was sad on my recent visit that coconut macaroons were not on the schedule for the day I was there. Probably a good thing, as I ate 2 doughnuts myself.

This place has raving fans, for good reason. In a recent statewide vote-for-your-favorite-bakery contest, it obliterated all other entries. (I think I read that it got over twice the votes of the runner up bakery from a major metropolitan area.)

Take it from me - there's a very, very short list of places I'd recommend in Winona, but Bloedow's tops it. I haven't eaten at every bakery in America, but in all the places I have tried, no one even comes close to this little backwater gem.

“Never not a line outside”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Wondering if you ever thought about opening in another location besides the one down on the east end-I know u sell at kwik trips but its something about coming into your shop-consider this? YUMMY maple bars---thank you from my thighs!

Visited September 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“In Winona? This is a MUST stop!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have an excellent doughnut shop in our hometown, so we are hard to please. I went to Bloedow's while my family slept. There was a line out the door, and I had to park a block away. No biggie. The line went pretty fast (it's not that big inside, so don't be scared of a line), and I had my doughnuts fast. There's a few people behind the counter that yell "next," grab a box or bag, put your doughnuts in it, and ring you up. I got a few of each to sample (long johns, plain, sugar, sprinkle, filled), and there wasn't a bad one in the bunch. They really are delicious - believe the hype. It's an old-school, charming bakery with a tasty product. Can't beat that.

• Visited July 2014
Cold Spring, MN
“The glazed doughnuts are the best in the world!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I have never found a glazed doughnut that compares to Bloedows. A unique flavor that I could just keep eating. I only wish I lived closer. The character of the bakery is also wonderful.

Visited June 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just as I ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

... remember, so many years ago (40 years). This place has not changed AT ALL. I was so ready to be disappointed in the bakery products but they are at least as good as they've ever been. If you're in Winona, you really shouldn't miss it. Just one doughnut won't hurt ya, haha.

Visited July 2014