“Negative”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Worthington
Thompson, IA
“Negative”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Last night I was leaving Sioux Falls, SD and couldn't find a hotel any closer. The hotel that booked the room for me was told that it was my son, wife and self and to ask for a military discount as I am a retired disabled veteran. When I got there the desk clerk (very rude) told me that the price I was quoted was no good because that rate was for "1" person and he ran my card for the new rate before telling me the new rate. When I asked him about the new price, he told me that "I had not told them about my wife and son. When I informed him that the reservations had been made through another hotel and that they knew that there were 3 of us, he continued to insist that "I" had lied. Due to the fact that there was a lot going on in the local area, this guy obviously didn't need my business and him and his wife (Both very week in the English language) consistently increased in their rudeness. I never got past the front desk to see the room quality, but the front desk service was ATROCIOUS!!! DO "NOT" STAY HERE!!! You will get better service in your car or a HOMELESS SHELTER!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
worthingtonsuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Worthington Minnesota, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
You never stayed here nor were you a registered guest here. Because of your rude abusive behavior toward the front desk clerk who is female and speaks very clear english you and your family were asked to leave the property. Your credit card was fully refunded. We do not appreciate your comments on this web site that indicated we were in the wrong. When you made the reservations you made them for one person and were given a rate quote for one person with military discount.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Elk Point, South Dakota
Reviewed 29 July 2013

WE were called by hotel to tell us our credit card was being charged $250. for smoking in a non smoking room. Their evidence did not accurately show that what they found in the garbage was the litter bag from our vehicle that we had cleaned out the ashtray into because there was no trash can at the side entrance. Have you ever seen a hotel without with no garbage container at the entrances? I have not. They were not at all reasonable in discussion and would not provide contact info for their corporate office. After reading reviews, it was apparent that they subsidize their income with fraudulant charges. I had to cancel my credit card to prevent the charge being paid and intend to report to any and all authorities that are applicable. On a positive note; we did not get bit by bedbugs which was a pleasant surprise given the general condition of the place. they also did a bait and switch, telling us they had a room with a king bed and then they did not.

Room Tip: Don't stop here
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
worthingtonsuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Worthington Minnesota, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you for your review. I would however like to correct some of your statements. When you made your reservations you made them for a queen non smoking room. When you arrived you asked if you could be upgraded to a king size room. You were told that would be possible but the room rate would increase due to room size increase. You declined this saying a queen room was just fine. You also commented that you noticed all the work that was being done on the motel. I told you that we have been doing upgrades in the rooms and all the rooms have been remodeled and the lobby was now getting a new window. After you checked out Housekeeping alerted me to the fact that the room had been smoked in. There were cigarettes in the garbage. The room reeked of cigarette smoke. The housekeeping staff had to open the windows to air out the room and all furniture had to be removed from the room so the carpet could be shampooed. This is a non smoking floor. When I called you about this you admitted the room smelled of smoke but said that when you were out walking your dogs which you did not tell front desk you had in the room you brought the trash in with you. The fee to have a dog in the room is $10 per dog by not alerting us to the dogs in the room is a charge of $50 per dog. However we have not charged you these extra fees. Since we can verify there were cigarettes in the room that is why we charged you. When I did speak to you on the phone I did give you corporate headquarters address and phone number both of which you declined. I did however contact corporate office about this situation.

Travellers are raving about these Worthington hotels

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 July 2013

My daughters and I recently had the opportunity to have an over-night here on our way back from South Dakota.
This hotel is not fancy and the perks are few, but the clean, comfortable rooms/beds and exceptionally pleasant staff, sure make it a welcome treat after a hard day of traveling.
The standard breakfast fare, along with make your own waffles, got us off to a great start. I generally try to go for a hotel with a pool to give my kids a bit of fun, but as a comfortable over-night with a great breakfast and nearly $50 cheaper sans the hotel, this was hands down the best deal of my vacation!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
worthingtonsuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Worthington Minnesota, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Thank you for choosing Super 8. We strive to make your stay with us an enjoyable experience. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Neosho
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Great rate, clean and really nice king room. Was surprised to see reviews, must have been a different property or someone was having a really bad day. I was greeted and treated great by staff. King room looked new along with everything in it. Was checked in by Jo, very friendly, and helpful. I travel a lot, don't usually stay at Super 8's, but would more often if they were a nice as this one.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. We are glad you choose us for your stay. As you mentioned we have been updating and remodeling our facility. Our housekeeping staff does an outstanding job cleaning and our front desk staff strive to make each guests experience special. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Cromwell
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This super 8 is terrible, i would not recommend this place to any one! First off all the rooms in the hotel were open because their key cards weren't working. so anyone off the street could walk into any room and go in. After we checked in, we were just getting situated into the room so we hadn't latched the door shut, some random guy just walks into our room and after he realizes we were in there he walks out. When we went to get our luggage we used the side door and that locked but you could just pull it a little harder and it would pop right open. The a/c in the room smelled really musty when we turned it on and the rooms had an awful smell to them any ways. The bathroom door wouldn't even latch completely and in order to get out of the bathroom you had to really ream on the door to open it. The towels in the bathroom were full of black spots and had holes big enough to fit your hand through. The people were all rude and really unfriendly. I was so disgusted on how they treated us when we checked in, I would've moved to a different hotel but everywhere else was booked. This doesn't even deserve one out of five stars but i have to put something!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

worthingtonsuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Worthington Minnesota, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
I am sorry you felt your stay with us was not what you expected. As was explained to you when you checked in the key card machine was not operating and a repair service tech could not come out over the weekend. However, the machine was repaired Monday. We recommended that you lock your room once you are in there and pull it closed when you leave. Our front desk would open the door for you as needed. The bath towels are brand new and certainly do not have holes in them. If you would have brought the towel to the front desk we would have been happy to exchange them for you. The front desk clerk advised you to turn the a/c on low for about 15 minutes to begin cooling the room. Otherwise the compressor blows outside air and with the rain we had been having that day the air was musty. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Stayed here on our way back to Denver from the cities. If I could go back I would have just kept driving to Sioux Falls. The location is great but that's about it. The lobby is messy and might double as a storage unit for the employees. I almost had to pick my eyeballs off the floor when they told us the price of their "cheapest" room, it is just a Super 8.... Our room looked okay but I don't think the bedding has been updated in a long time and didn't smell clean. To top it all off our air conditioner just blew slightly cooler than outside air.

• Stayed July 2013
worthingtonsuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Worthington Minnesota, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
I am sorry you felt your stay with us was not what you expected. Our rooms have all been recently remodeled with new beds and new bedding. As was explained to you when you checked in the air conditioner needs to be started on low. This allows the rooms to begin cooling before you turn over to a higher setting. The rates we offer are comparable to other motels and hotels in the area. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Worthington
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Worthington
Sibley Inn, Iowa
Sibley Inn, Iowa
#2 of 2 in Sibley
Holiday Inn Express Worthington

Been to Super 8 Worthington Minnesota? Share your experiences!