La Grande Maison d'Arthenay
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Hotel de la Saulaie(Doue-la-Fontaine)
Le Dagobert(Doue-la-Fontaine)
  • Restaurant
Auberge Bienvenue(Doue-la-Fontaine)
View Hotel
Hotel Le Relais Du Bellay(Montreuil-Bellay)
Rocaminori Hotel(Louresse-Rochemenier)
  • Breakfast included
Les Bacchusiennes(Saint-Georges-sur-Layon)
View Hotel
Le Manoir de Gatines(Pays de la Loire)
View Hotel
All reviewswine tastinglovely hostsfamily roombeautiful loireshort drivebeautiful locationla grande maisonthe main housewine makinglocal villagedifferent winestop classlonger staya real treaton footdelicious foodmany times
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I had first seen La Grande Maison's website in 2011, but they were booked when I wanted to go there. So, I bookmarked them for this year. I just knew this would be a special place, and I was right!

I had a very good feeling about my upcoming stay from the very beginning of my correspondences with Micaela. She and Sue were very accommodating to me, especially my being a solo traveller. Their home is peaceful and beautiful, complete with three beautiful Springer Spaniels...Ella, Humble Pie and Willow.

I stayed an extra night before the tour, with Micaela picking me up late at the Saumur train station. I had a lovely "day off" in the nearby villages. The welcome wine pairing dinner that Sue prepared, with Micaela choosing and explaining the wines, was a wonderful experience, complete with a personalised menu/place mat that came home with me.

My three day tour was very comprehensive, covering many local AOCs and well chosen wineries. And, the "extras"...drives through and to special places each day to give us a real feeling for the beauty and history of the region beyond the wines...special places that we saw and where we picniced, I will never forget.

And did I mention the home? My very large room and bathroom, comfortable bed, beautiful gardens, extraordinary pigeonniere and caves, the vineyards....what a slice of heaven.

Micaela and Sue are very knowledgable about the wines and the region. They also are exceptional hosts who made me feel like a special friend. They went out of their way to show me the best their beautiful area has to offer.

My stay at La Grande Maison and fabulous wine tour were the perfect end to a wonderful vacation. I plan to return to this special place as there is so much more to see and experience in the Loire Valley, especially with the hospitality and knowledge of Micaela and Sue.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Found La Grand Maison on TripAdvisor and a newer EU travel website for great places to stay, Further Afield. I have fair but high expectations and have rarely been let down by TripAdvisor. La Grande Mason met and surpassed every expectation. Initially,I was worried about finding it and that it would be too out of the way. A GPS using coordinates was easy...arrived easily and was greeted with a marvelous glass of wine. Micaela showed us to our room and it was just perfect. Fluffy crisp duvet, beautiful clean marvelous bathroom with terrific shower, magnificent welcoming grounds with terrific nooks & crannies that call you to watch sun setting, grape vines exploding with vintage, birds singing and if you are interested darling dogs to give companionship. Towns are easy five minute drives away...chateaux and caves for wine tasting plentiful less than a thirty minute drive...all from TERRIFIC recommendations from Micaela and Sue. Sue is the chef and provides a magnificent wine tasting dinner. YOU MUST DO THIS AT LEAST ONCE! Breakfast is diverse each day and satiates our American appetites,and needs are met generously. I will upload pictures soon. THis place is TERRIFIC! You are in for a real treat!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Explore_and_Travel
Reviewed 3 July 2012

La Grande Maison is overseen by two wonderful women who embody the French notion of la joie de vie! The rooms are comfortable and private, the grounds have flowers in profusion and are surrounded by vineyards and winding roads that beg to be explored. Miceala and Sue antipathetic your every need, and Sue's morning coffee is a French press marvel. My friends and I totally relaxed and rambled through the villages and vineyards during the day, then came " home" to La Grande Maison for a glass of wine with our hosts. We also enjoyed a gourmet dinner and a tour of their cav. Do not miss this little piece of paradise in the Loire Valley. Totally exceptional!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Deirdre bioethi... N
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This was the highlight of our trip! The place was exactly as it is described in all of these glowing reviews and I really think retiring to a vineyard in France to restore the ancient wine caves is now a new life goal of anyone who visits!! Accommodating doesn't even begin to describe the experience: lending tourbooks and maps as well as phoning for reservations at local restaurants, this is a 5 star experience we will remember always:-)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank LillyFred
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Imaginatively restored farm buildings set amidst vineyards; original cellars carved from the underlying limestone; excellent cuisine and very friendly hostesses with a passion for the local wines - This is a great location in its own right but then add all there is to see in this part of the Loire Valley and it becomes a 'must' for anyone wanting accommodation in the vicinity.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family