“Birthday Luncheon”

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
“Birthday Luncheon”
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Came here for my Birthday Luncheon. Had a wonderful broiled red snapper with with Étouffée pasta. Perfect attentive service delicious food and an excellent friendly atmosphere. Will definitely return for dinner when we are in Biloxi.

Phoenix, Arizona
“A Lady in Genteel Decline”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I remember Mary Mahoney's Old French House from my days at Gulf Park College fifty years ago, a time when life was much gentler and Mary's was at her best. Alas, today Mary Mahoney's is not what she used to be. Perhaps I visited on a bad night; perhaps she's as good as she ever was, but my night was my only chance to find out, and I was disappointed. The service was average, the food was average. Only the atmosphere, the ambiance, was up to my expectations, and that wasn't sufficient. I was frankly shocked at the prices given the quality of the food and service. I had two appetizers instead of an appetizer/entree, and two drinks. My tab was $43 not counting tip. Really? There are so many superb restaurants on the Coast that it's just not worth the crap shoot that a trip to Mary's entails. Try The Chimneys in Gulfport instead, and be glad you did.

1 Thank J Sidney O
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Old World Charm with updated cuisine….”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

LOVED the courtyard appeal , varied menu and well-timed service of this time-honored restaurant. The food, the wine list and the ambience were 100% Southern charm.

Visited April 2014
Montgomery, Texas
“Our Booxi visit.”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at the Beau Rivage which is great. Mary's is just a short walk onlt two blocks. This place has lots of history. You must spend time looking at pictures and doucments on the walls. The food and service is very good. It is a must go.

Olathe, Kansas
“Tired menu, underwhelming food”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were looking forward to spending our only dinner in Biloxi at Mary Mahoney's given the rave reviews and beautiful old house. We quickly discovered what the previous reviewer (cliving549) stated was completely on-point. "You pay for the history and the atmosphere."

My friends and I consider ourselves foodies and were indecisive about what to order. The proffered entrees sounded very 80s quasi-French and heavy. I ended-up with the Shrimp & Lump Crabmeat (St. Patrick) and wasn't very pleased. It's served in an escargot dish with each well filled with soggy, previously frozen spinach that had teeny-tiny pasta shells mixed in, covered with a sauce and lump crabmeat. The crabmeat tasted fine and the sauce was flavorful but sparse. However, the spinach & shells made no sense for the dish in the manner it was served and actually ruined the flavor profile and texture of the entree for me. (Yes, I realize this sounds very pretentious. I'm trying to be diplomatic rather than simply saying, "WTH is with the crap under all the good stuff?!" I also realize what I got was how the dish was described on the menu but for some reason, I envisioned fresh spinach baked or sauteed and mixed with larger or more abundant pasta shells awash in sauce and stuffed with large Gulf shrimp. I obviously thought wrong.) One of my friends ordered the Sisters of the Sea Au Gratin since she is both a big seafood and cheese fan. She complained that it was incredibly way too rich and cheesy (i.e. that's all she could taste). Furthermore, both the crab & shrimp are suppose to be served in the same sauce, but it didn't appear to be prepared that way. Our third friend had better luck. She was very pleased with her gumbo and broiled fish selection. We all had small house salads served prior to the entrees which were rather meagerly average. The only noteworthy item for me was the incredible salted French bread. The three of us could not get enough of the warm, crusty, carbaliciousness.

Overall, I feel I'm being generous with the 3-star rating. The atmosphere was great. The grounds are beautiful and wonderful for a starlit stroll. Service was average. Our waiter was polished and knowledgeable but only visited our table a handful of times. Food was way overpriced, outdated, and underwhelming; if they want to maintain a traditional menu that's fine, but please refine and finesse the dishes for Pete's sake. I do not recommend Mary Mahoney's unless you have conservative views on food (i.e. you are nostalgic for 20th century cuisine from a menu that probably hasn't been changed since the restaurant's inception in the late 1960s).

1 Thank brandsandtob

Been to Mary Mahoney's Old French House? Share your experiences!