“Nice B & B, Private garden room”

Above Bored Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 North Perth B&B and Inns
Leura, Australia
“Nice B & B, Private garden room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

We stayed 2 nights in this B & B and enjoyed our stay in the garden room. Our dog was also welcome and she could play in the garden. Although the room is small it had everything we needed. Having the garage and use of the garden was nice. The owner allowed us our privacy while still providing all the information we needed.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank knhAustralia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

I was staying in the master bedroom a day before CHOGM and everything was good. They gave me choclate with my name on it. and the place really peacfull and convenience since it isn't far from the city.

The room where I was staying was clean and it's not dusty.Because if it is I wouldn't have the best week there since I have allergy to it. It was cute too the way u need to make your eggs. They provide you with small egg poacher and I couldnt believe it was so clean since I know how hard it is to wash the poacher.It's hard to make half-cooked egg using the microwave but it's not impossible. I had my half cooked egg with runny eggyolk n it taste good.

Not only that they provide me with free wifi where I can actually download games and email easily and fast. The TV in the room was not plasma but they what you would expect in a B&B not fancy stuff but relaxing nice stuff and experience it gave you. The antenna was fine and I thought it might glow in the dark because of the bright colour but what do you know it's not.

They also provide me with enough glass and coffee cups that looks really clean as if it's brand new.

And it has lot of interesting restaurants and cafes to go nearby the B&B. Just 5 minutes walk up the Fiztgerald Street to North Perth Plaza, they have this amazing mexican restaurant called That Little Mexican Place and it has an amazing food, plus it's really close to the B&B.

I wasn't dissapointed at all and highlly recommended place!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

I booked this joint because Durack House was taking advantange of CHOGM and was charging a premium over their usual rate. I guess sometimes, in life, you don't get what you paid for.

As instructed, you will be given a code to let yourself in and wonder which one is your room as your name will not be tagged to your room if you know what I mean.

The Master bedroom looked exactly like the picture except with a lot of dust. It does appeared that the room has not been clean for weeks! I am allergic to dust and I was sneezing constantly. I found dust on the ledge of the bed, behind the cupboards and on the dresser. The shower curtain was mouldy and the bath gel in the bottle is half-emptied asif left over by a previous guest. The TV is a box and not the plasma type you might expect. The reception is poor and the antenna glows brightly in the dark. Cover your eyes or switch it off if you are trying to sleep. Although there's wifi, the reception is not strong and I couldn't use it to download my emails at all.

Breakfast was paltry. Bread was mediocre and you have to prepare the eggs yourself. If you are not even a contestant on Masterchef, then you have to make do with microwaved rubbery poached eggs. Mind you, these will be "poached" by the microwave so do not expect the yolks to flow out wonderously a la cafe style. I had to also go through 2 egg cups before I could find clean ones to cook the eggs in. I finally cooked the last 2 eggs and toss it to the birds because I just couldn't bear to eat it.

I was looking for cups for water and I found 2 coffee mugs stained with yester year's coffee. Then I found another cup with dust in it and sneezed a few times more. Since there's no kitchenette and detergent, I had to scald it with water a few times before I dared to use it.

Don't expect interesting places to dine nearby as this is not located in a fancy neighbourhood.

I was utterly disappointed with my stay and never expected such dirty and unhygenic conditions for the price I paid. I stopped sneezing after I left the next morning.

Room Tip: The masterbed room is the only one with your own bathroom.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank matchaspring
SarahRossetti, Owner at Above Bored Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 6 November 2011
Thank-you for taking the time to send in a review. Firstly, I appreciate the reference to other properties putting their prices up for CHOGM (some went as high as 10 times their normal tariffs in Perth at that time) as we NEVER put our prices up to take advantage of holidays or peak seasons because we have so many regular customers and we aim to please them.

I will address all other concerns in the order they were listed. Firstly, we contact all our guests before arrival and offer them a code to get in and ask breakfast questions for provisions. We met the guest who wrote this review within 5 minutes of arrival and this is the only guest who could not get emails on her IPhone as most of our guests utilise our FREE WiFi to do just that, so this is something we have no explanation for and we are sorry that it didn't work out for this phone and we said so at the time, the password to the FREE WIFI is in the compendium for all to use - no matter how short or long their stay.

Each of our rooms has a label on the door with the room name and our rooms are booked using room names so guests always know which is their room once they have booked in. When we call prior to arrival we also say which is the booked room by name and location.

IMPORTANTLY, each of our rooms has its own bathroom, so this is a totally incorrect assumption on behalf of this reviewer.

We are astounded by the amount of references to uncleanliness as we have our rooms cleaned daily, however, right on CHOGM we had a change of cleaning staff which may have resulted in some dust under a cupboard, again we do apologise. All staff have been shown this review and are taking extra care to dust thoroughly. We do not have mouldy shower curtains or dirty crockery, and we were not shown any of these things by the guest at the time. We have always had dishwashing liquid and tea towels in all our bathrooms in case a guest wants to wash out a glass or coffee cup, but we of course take away and replenish breakfast things daily and reset the table with clean crockery and cutlery daily, for the rooms in the house.

The Garden room is self contained with its own kitchenette and dishwasher - another incorrect assumption regarding there being no kitchenette on behalf of this reviewer.

The Garden room also has a plasma television and the others are being updated over time. The guest after this guest stayed found that someone had disconnected the aerial and they told us, so we plugged it back in, resulting in great reception once again. If we had been alerted to this problem by the guest in question, we certainly would have rectified it instantly.

These are our regular breakfast items: Harvey Fresh orange juice which is our local premium freshly squeezed orange juice. Endless tea and coffee (good quality). Biscuits to have with coffee, meusli, yoghurt, fresh fruit, the bread and milk of the guest's choice, a range of conserves, butter, eggs which guests make into poached eggs in the microwave in 30 seconds with clear instructions provided. I have made eggs this way to test them and my eggs came out poached and soft in the middle. if you cook them too long of course they will be hard - as is the way with all egg cooking - which is why the instructions says 30 seconds. An additional word regarding breakfast. Many of our guests fly out early so we decided that a help yourself styled breakfast would be best because many take early planes, and they tell us they appreciate the ability to help themselves to breakfast at any hour rather than miss out altogether if they must depart early.

Kind Regards,
Sarah Rossetti - Proprietor

There are at least a dozen interesting restaurants within a 5 minute walking distance from our place and we provided a walking map in our compendium which lists them for easy reference. We are situated just 5kms north of Perth CBD, and 4kms from the nightlife and multitude of restaurants of Northbridge and even closer are many many restaurants in Mt Lawley which just around the corner also.
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

This is a decent B&B in a particularly stylish house. The free parking and internet are good features, and the breakfasts could be made spectacularly better by some simple modifications - for example use of freshly squeezed juices instead of supermarket orange juice. We liked the way the owner left us very much to ourselves, and appreciated the nice hospitable touches in the rooms. Perth is in redneck territory, so don't be surprised that you have to be packed and out by 10am. By Western Australian standards, the package is good value for money.

Room Tip: King Bedroom has good bed, but bathroom is separate. For ensuite go for one of the other rooms.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
SarahRossetti, Owner at Above Bored Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
Thank-you for your lovely review. We really appreciate all the time people put into writing them.

We would like to let prospective guests know that the King bedroom is the only room with a big three pillow wide king bed, as, whilst out other two rooms have en-suites, they also have queen beds, and the hallway bathroom for the king bedroom has the most amazing underwater fresco ceiling created by way of compensation for the two steps up the hall guests walk to get to it, and this bathroom is for its exclusive use. We also provide fluffy robes and slippers for all guests in all rooms.

With regard to the orange juice, we use the most expensive brand of juice on the market because it is 100% fresh orange juice and pulp free. You can really taste the difference when you compare this juice to the cheap supermarket varieties.
Burnaby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2011

I stayed at Above Bored for few days and I tought I landed in paradise. I stayed in the master bedroom and I had access to the beautiful garden. It was very peaceful and quiet . I met Sarah the owner and she gave me plenty of information about the area. I loved my stay and I plan to stay again in a near future!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Busselton, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2011

I needed to have a break away for a few days and didn't think it possible as I have two adorable pooches i wouldn't leave. What a wonderful suprises to find accomodation that could accomodate myself and my precious pups. From the moment of contact Sarah made herself available to answer any queries I might have concerning my stay. She emailed information and the day we were arriving phoned, messaged me and was there to welcome us. The garden cottage was most enchanting and delightfuly situated at the back of the garden with my own garage and remote controlled roller door making for easy access. It was a stress free stay in the city as the accomodation was a delightful refuge from the hussle and bussle. Loved the situation making easy access to either North or South of the city main roads.
Sarah has very thoughtfully covered every aspect of your needs away from home. The delightful luxuries in the cupboards, the oh so gorgeous bath towells and robes, gourmet coffee, tea and tasty little treats made it a very special stay. What made it simply the best was Sarah's kindness and care of my pooches. Clearly an animal lover she made them very welcome lavishing pats and cuddles on them. The fish pond and water feature added tranquility to a peaceful setting in the garden where I sat and read with a cuppa and pooches playing nearby. Well done Sarah and thankyou for everything.

• Stayed April 2011
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2010

This was our first experience of a B&B after years of hotels and tourist parks.
The accommodation is as described on the website and is historic-property charming. The crockery/cutlery and amenities provided are aesthetically blended in with the decor and are presented so nicely we thought it was a display cabinet until Sarah (proprietor) explained it was all for our use. Her friendly and caring attitude made us feel right at home and adds a special something to the already great accommodation.
Free WiFi Internet , easy nature-strip marked parking for the rental car and great location made this an ideal base for our holiday. Easy car access to Fitzgerald St (Alexander Drive) and from there you're only a few minutes drive to the CBD. If you want to get a bit of gentle exercise she provides walking maps with distance & times to local facilities.
We didn't have time to try all the facilities provided due to many family commitments but the thoughtful touches were evident everywhere, right down to special egg-cups and instructions for poaching in the microwave. We racked our brains to think of any improvements and could only come up with stronger water pressure in the shower (if possible) and a rubbish bin in the bedroom.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Perth CBD
Peppers Kings Square Hotel
East Perth
Fraser Suites Perth

Been to Above Bored Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!