“Great pet friendly B & B close to Perth CBD”

Above Bored Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 North Perth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My latest project brought me to Perth and I was looking for a place that would welcome my little pup. My office found this little B&B in North Perth that has a private garden room for my four legged companion to run around.... One month that I have stayed here has been a pleasant one. Proprietor is friendly and took good care of my dog while I was away at work during the day. Though the room is a bit small, having the convenience of a well sized garage was good.
Just a suggestion, if the microwave can be positioned at a lower height, it would be convenient for not so tall people like me…
Overall a great place with good eating joints within walking distance and city is within 5 minutes’ drive…

- Smita K

Room Tip: If you are bringing your pet along for a holiday, go for this place and remember to ask for the gard...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Perth is very over heated due to the resources boom. Everything is expensive. Out of frustration I tried this place and was pleasantly surprised. I have been back twice at a cost of about $120 per night.

I have tried both rooms. The one on the left is nicer as you have your own large en-suite. The room on the right is also nice and you have your own bathroom, but it is across the hall.

The bed was very large and comfortable, very quiet, good air conditioning and lovely high ceiling. The TV could be upgraded. Rooms were very clean.

The breakfast area is nice with basics provided. You may or may not see the other guest, and you do not see the owners. It is nice to check out by closing the door behind you.

Only challenge is the location. It is suburbia. No issue if you have a car.

In short, great value and a home feel. I sleep very well.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank CGW
SarahRossetti, Owner at Above Bored Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thank-you for your great review, most generous since we did not meet. We have structured it so that I call everybody before they arrive and give them their code to get in and ask breakfast questions, so they can have an exclusive non-intrusive stay here, always with the option of finding me by knocking on the dividing door to my part of the house or by calling me, as I am really happy to chat to guests, if they would like that. To that end, we have a really comprehensive compendium with everything answered in it, from the free Wifi password to walking maps of the local area, including brochures from all the local restaurants and interesting things to do within an easy 5 minute walking distance, as well as 2 pages of things to do in Perth. We are situated just 5 minutes drive (5kms) from the centre of Perth CBD in North Perth. We also have direct and frequent bus routes to the city from both ends of our quiet street, those being the main arteries of Fitzgerald St and Charles St. There is only one thing that I need to correct. The price. We would love to boast that we have prices as low as $120.00 per night, however, that has not been the case for years. However, we do purposely keep our prices well below many of the hotels and B&Bs in Perth in peak times, as it has unfortunately been the case that prices in Perth do get really ramped up, but not here. The disgruntled guests who do not like this practice become our new customers, and that is how we like it. Our prices range from $170-$190 per night including GST, daily breakfast and room cleaning, free WiFi and Parking, depending if there are one or two people and depending upon which room, but please do ask me directly by phone or email or click on our website button at the top of our tripadvisor section for my special offer to all guests who stay a week - they get their 8th night free which brings this daily tariff down considerably. This special is not available anywhere else only through me, as proprietor.
Kind Regards and I do hope you will stay again, Sarah Rossetti

Reviewed 22 December 2011

We stayed 2 nights in this B & B and enjoyed our stay in the garden room. Our dog was also welcome and she could play in the garden. Although the room is small it had everything we needed. Having the garage and use of the garden was nice. The owner allowed us our privacy while still providing all the information we needed.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank knhAustralia
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I was staying in the master bedroom a day before CHOGM and everything was good. They gave me choclate with my name on it. and the place really peacfull and convenience since it isn't far from the city.

The room where I was staying was clean and it's not dusty.Because if it is I wouldn't have the best week there since I have allergy to it. It was cute too the way u need to make your eggs. They provide you with small egg poacher and I couldnt believe it was so clean since I know how hard it is to wash the poacher.It's hard to make half-cooked egg using the microwave but it's not impossible. I had my half cooked egg with runny eggyolk n it taste good.

Not only that they provide me with free wifi where I can actually download games and email easily and fast. The TV in the room was not plasma but they what you would expect in a B&B not fancy stuff but relaxing nice stuff and experience it gave you. The antenna was fine and I thought it might glow in the dark because of the bright colour but what do you know it's not.

They also provide me with enough glass and coffee cups that looks really clean as if it's brand new.

And it has lot of interesting restaurants and cafes to go nearby the B&B. Just 5 minutes walk up the Fiztgerald Street to North Perth Plaza, they have this amazing mexican restaurant called That Little Mexican Place and it has an amazing food, plus it's really close to the B&B.

I wasn't dissapointed at all and highlly recommended place!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I booked this joint because Durack House was taking advantange of CHOGM and was charging a premium over their usual rate. I guess sometimes, in life, you don't get what you paid for.

As instructed, you will be given a code to let yourself in and wonder which one is your room as your name will not be tagged to your room if you know what I mean.

The Master bedroom looked exactly like the picture except with a lot of dust. It does appeared that the room has not been clean for weeks! I am allergic to dust and I was sneezing constantly. I found dust on the ledge of the bed, behind the cupboards and on the dresser. The shower curtain was mouldy and the bath gel in the bottle is half-emptied asif left over by a previous guest. The TV is a box and not the plasma type you might expect. The reception is poor and the antenna glows brightly in the dark. Cover your eyes or switch it off if you are trying to sleep. Although there's wifi, the reception is not strong and I couldn't use it to download my emails at all.

Breakfast was paltry. Bread was mediocre and you have to prepare the eggs yourself. If you are not even a contestant on Masterchef, then you have to make do with microwaved rubbery poached eggs. Mind you, these will be "poached" by the microwave so do not expect the yolks to flow out wonderously a la cafe style. I had to also go through 2 egg cups before I could find clean ones to cook the eggs in. I finally cooked the last 2 eggs and toss it to the birds because I just couldn't bear to eat it.

I was looking for cups for water and I found 2 coffee mugs stained with yester year's coffee. Then I found another cup with dust in it and sneezed a few times more. Since there's no kitchenette and detergent, I had to scald it with water a few times before I dared to use it.

Don't expect interesting places to dine nearby as this is not located in a fancy neighbourhood.

I was utterly disappointed with my stay and never expected such dirty and unhygenic conditions for the price I paid. I stopped sneezing after I left the next morning.

Room Tip: The masterbed room is the only one with your own bathroom.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank matchaspring
SarahRossetti, Owner at Above Bored Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2011

Thank-you for taking the time to send in a review. Firstly, I appreciate the reference to other properties putting their prices up for CHOGM (some went as high as 10 times their normal tariffs in Perth at that time) as we NEVER put our prices up to take advantage of holidays or peak seasons because we have so many regular customers and we aim to please them.

I will address all other concerns in the order they were listed. Firstly, we contact all our guests before arrival and offer them a code to get in and ask breakfast questions for provisions. We met the guest who wrote this review within 5 minutes of arrival and this is the only guest who could not get emails on her IPhone as most of our guests utilise our FREE WiFi to do just that, so this is something we have no explanation for and we are sorry that it didn't work out for this phone and we said so at the time, the password to the FREE WIFI is in the compendium for all to use - no matter how short or long their stay.

Each of our rooms has a label on the door with the room name and our rooms are booked using room names so guests always know which is their room once they have booked in. When we call prior to arrival we also say which is the booked room by name and location.

IMPORTANTLY, each of our rooms has its own bathroom, so this is a totally incorrect assumption on behalf of this reviewer.

We are astounded by the amount of references to uncleanliness as we have our rooms cleaned daily, however, right on CHOGM we had a change of cleaning staff which may have resulted in some dust under a cupboard, again we do apologise. All staff have been shown this review and are taking extra care to dust thoroughly. We do not have mouldy shower curtains or dirty crockery, and we were not shown any of these things by the guest at the time. We have always had dishwashing liquid and tea towels in all our bathrooms in case a guest wants to wash out a glass or coffee cup, but we of course take away and replenish breakfast things daily and reset the table with clean crockery and cutlery daily, for the rooms in the house.

The Garden room is self contained with its own kitchenette and dishwasher - another incorrect assumption regarding there being no kitchenette on behalf of this reviewer.

The Garden room also has a plasma television and the others are being updated over time. The guest after this guest stayed found that someone had disconnected the aerial and they told us, so we plugged it back in, resulting in great reception once again. If we had been alerted to this problem by the guest in question, we certainly would have rectified it instantly.

These are our regular breakfast items: Harvey Fresh orange juice which is our local premium freshly squeezed orange juice. Endless tea and coffee (good quality). Biscuits to have with coffee, meusli, yoghurt, fresh fruit, the bread and milk of the guest's choice, a range of conserves, butter, eggs which guests make into poached eggs in the microwave in 30 seconds with clear instructions provided. I have made eggs this way to test them and my eggs came out poached and soft in the middle. if you cook them too long of course they will be hard - as is the way with all egg cooking - which is why the instructions says 30 seconds. An additional word regarding breakfast. Many of our guests fly out early so we decided that a help yourself styled breakfast would be best because many take early planes, and they tell us they appreciate the ability to help themselves to breakfast at any hour rather than miss out altogether if they must depart early.

Kind Regards,
Sarah Rossetti - Proprietor

There are at least a dozen interesting restaurants within a 5 minute walking distance from our place and we provided a walking map in our compendium which lists them for easy reference. We are situated just 5kms north of Perth CBD, and 4kms from the nightlife and multitude of restaurants of Northbridge and even closer are many many restaurants in Mt Lawley which just around the corner also.

Reviewed 14 August 2011

This is a decent B&B in a particularly stylish house. The free parking and internet are good features, and the breakfasts could be made spectacularly better by some simple modifications - for example use of freshly squeezed juices instead of supermarket orange juice. We liked the way the owner left us very much to ourselves, and appreciated the nice hospitable touches in the rooms. Perth is in redneck territory, so don't be surprised that you have to be packed and out by 10am. By Western Australian standards, the package is good value for money.

Room Tip: King Bedroom has good bed, but bathroom is separate. For ensuite go for one of the other rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
SarahRossetti, Owner at Above Bored Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Thank-you for your lovely review. We really appreciate all the time people put into writing them.

We would like to let prospective guests know that the King bedroom is the only room with a big three pillow wide king bed, as, whilst out other two rooms have en-suites, they also have queen beds, and the hallway bathroom for the king bedroom has the most amazing underwater fresco ceiling created by way of compensation for the two steps up the hall guests walk to get to it, and this bathroom is for its exclusive use. We also provide fluffy robes and slippers for all guests in all rooms.

With regard to the orange juice, we use the most expensive brand of juice on the market because it is 100% fresh orange juice and pulp free. You can really taste the difference when you compare this juice to the cheap supermarket varieties.

Reviewed 18 May 2011

I stayed at Above Bored for few days and I tought I landed in paradise. I stayed in the master bedroom and I had access to the beautiful garden. It was very peaceful and quiet . I met Sarah the owner and she gave me plenty of information about the area. I loved my stay and I plan to stay again in a near future!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Durack House Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 2 in Mount Lawley
Pension Of Perth
#7 of 15 in Perth

Been to Above Bored Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!