“Perfect”

Ranked #1 of 1 North Perth B&B and Inns
Bunbury, Australia
“Perfect”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

My partner and I, along with our little pooch, stayed for a night in the King Room. I am quite fussy with cleanliness etc (having worked in top hotels) and could not fault the high standard in our room, the bathroom, and the kitchen area. Everything we needed was there; the owner (Sarah) was generous with breakfast provisions, and bathroom necessities. Sarah was attentive yet very respectful of our privacy, and made us feel welcomed. We had a very restful night with lovely bedding making for a comfy sleep. It is rare to find such a lovely b&b which allows doggies as well, and also the little touches (hammock in the garden) and outdoor furniture were lovely too. Will choose this as my Perth accommodation.

Room Tip: Either room would be delightful.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
SarahRossetti, Owner at Above Bored Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Thank-you so much for taking the time to write a positive review. Some people only think about writing a review to complain, however, it is really important to other guests to be able to know from independent sources when people are as happy as you were with your experience (as most are here, judging by the majority of our reviews and our visitors book with is brimming with lovely comments). And since doggies cannot talk for themselves, it is doubly appreciated, as we are one of the very few pet friendly AAA rated 4 star places to stay in Perth, where they are welcome, as we love pets and welcome them, along with their lovely owners, of course. Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you and see you again soon,
Sarah Rossetti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The location of this B& B was perfect for me! The room was well appointed with a well stocked little kitchen. The bed was large and comfy (taking up the majority of the room). The room is filled with light (even at 7am - if you need darkness to sleep perhaps choose one of the other rooms)

The glowing reviews this B&B has gotten in the past may have set my expectations high. Unfortunately the cleanliness of the room wasn't up to my standards. The first time I spent real time in my room I kicked off my shoes to find that the floor was gitty and sandy (possibly because that room was serviced after the last guest left, sat for a few days having dirt blow in under the door??), the bathroom and kitchen taps hadn't been wiped and dishes were dirty (photos attached). I washed the dishes in the included dishwasher and found a broom in the garage. I didn't feel comfortable knocking on her door telling her that room wasn't clean.

I had 2 encounters with the owner. Unfortunately the 1st one wasn't a positive one. My flight was delayed an hour making me late. I dropped my bag and headed straight back out. When I left through the side gate Sarah chased me into the street looking at me confused. I explained that I was the guest in the garden room. She then told me to let her know if I needed anything. Honestly after that exchange I felt a little unwelcome and came and went via the garage door so I didn't disturb her. On my final day I saw Sarah again and had a lovely exchange that all other guests seem to have.

This place has great potential let down by the cleanliness. An easy fix for the owner!

Room Tip: The Garden room is private but filled with early morning light
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
SarahRossetti, Owner at Above Bored Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Nicole,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review our room.

I feel there has been some misunderstandings but I hope to rectify at least some things in response. I go out of my way to greet guests who get their code to come in before arrival so sometimes they can be illusive, so I wasn't confused on your first day, just trying to be friendly and greet you, on your way out, and had to rush to catch you, but that was me doing my best to say hi with you on the fly. Then I didn't see you and that is fine as we try to always respect what a guest wants, and if they choose not to be chatty or say hello, we know they want privacy and we do not get in the way of that.

I really wish you could have drawn my attention to those things your were unhappy about and we would have instantly rectified them to the best of our ability right away. For instance, before your stay your floor was both vaccumed and washed. However, our routine sanitisation of the reverse cycle air con happened after that and the maintenance man may had walked a little dust in on his shoes and we didn't think to reclean the floor as he did all his cleaning of the unit outside, he just went 2 steps in and up his 3 step ladder to remove the parts he routinely cleans outside and out again, then back again when they were done, so I guess any grime was in those 2 steps on the way in or out, and we apologise for that oversight. The shower is cleaned thoroughly and the seal they used around the edges has yellowed a bit over time, which is a hard one as we have tried every product to bring it back to white and it hasn't worked, but it was cleaned, just no longer pure white. The fitting inside the shower that holds the glass door wasn't dirty either but it has corroded a bit. We apologise that the kitchen sink tap wasn't sparkling and we have had a change of cleaning staff and we assure all guests that this will be sparkling in future! There were no dirty dishes in the room, the glass in the photo wasn't sparking either, but it wasn't dirty, we added rinse aid liquid to the dishwasher that is provided in the kitchenette as it has run out in the dishwasher and that will not happen again either, so sparkling glasses are assured in future.

Again we try to stay in touch with all our guests during their stays but if a guest goes out of their way to go the other way through the garage provided with this cottage, and not take advantage of our lovely gardens or to say hello, we are sensitive to their needs, but it is always best to speak up, so as not to leave with any feeling of dissatisfaction, which makes us unhappy too. You are the first guest to talk about the stained glass panel in the front door as a source of unwanted light in the morning, although we got the hint when we saw you hung your towel there to block morning light, and we ask our regular guests if it is of concern and if it is, we will install a blind, as it has never been brought up before, so we thank-you for this feedback.

Despite its smaller size than the more spacious rooms in the house, the garden room is really popular, I guess because it is in a stand alone cottage, has a lovely garden setting, and its own kitchenette and remote controlled garage. Anyway, Nicole, you are obviously a gal with an eye for detail, my only regret is that you didn't these things while you were here, as I did ask if you had an enjoyable stay as you were leaving and you didn't bring it up. Most importantly to all guests, please speak up while in residence if anything is not as you would wish and we will do all in our power to rectify it on the spot to ensure that you are happy, as that is our job.

Best Wishes on your travels, Nicole and we hope to see you again. If you would like to try the Master room or King room in the house next time, you will find them more spacious and there will be the opportunity to chat with other guests in the shared lounge dining room then also, if that would suit you.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We have been lucky to find an accommodation on very short notice, which also welcomed our little dog Tiny. It is only 'around the corner' from our home, but we felt being on holidays somewhere else. We had the master bedroom - high ceiling, open fire, wooden floors and beautiful bath-, which has also access to the enclosed front yard.
Breakfast provision were in the fridge designated to out room. A nice host who took my phone call and did the booking for me, which saved me the hassle of the online booking system. We were greeted nicelt and felt very welcome. Enjoyed and still enjoying our stay!!!!

"After all, the best part of a holiday is perhaps not so much to be resting yourself, as to see all the other fellows busy working." Kenneth Grahame

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
SarahRossetti, Owner at Above Bored Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thank-you so much for taking the time to review us. It means a lot, and we always welcome guests and their pets, as we know that pet friendly accommodation is hard to find especially AAA rated 4 star accommodation. Pets who travel with their owners are often adored like a third child, and we love having them around.
Sarah Rossetti - Proprietor
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed in the garden room for 3 nights as it was only around the corner from friends we were visiting. Upon arrival we didn't need to see anyone as we were given instructions on how to enter our room before our arrival which I liked. Breakfast provisions for the next morning were placed neatly in our fridge with instructions on how too cook your eggs. We spoke to Sarah the owner a couple of times during our stay and she was lovely and extremely accommodating. The room had everything we needed including a garage to park our hire car in with a fridge in the garage to store some food we bought from the supermarket. Garden outside was lovely and relaxing and well maintained. Also included is free wifi which is rare these days! This place was also close to Perth and all amenities we needed. Lovely, relaxing stay in a well designed functional room. Keep up the good work Sarah!

• Stayed September 2013
SarahRossetti, Owner at Above Bored Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thank-you so much for taking the time to review our property. We do our best to make sure that our guests feel happy and with their choice of accommodation, and most welcome. Did you know that we have a stay a week and get your 8th night free deal as well as a multiple room stay special not available from any other booking sites - only by coming to us directly? On your next stay we'll say thank-you in person with our return booking Above Bored presentation pen and once again thank-you so much for reviewing us.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We had an unexpected stay in Perth and after receiving a few unpleasant remarks from other establishments about booking before you reach your destination we were so relieved when we phoned Above Bored B&B to hear a pleasant and sympathetic voice on the other end of the phone. Sarah met us when we arrived, showed us the breakfast room and amenities and made us feel like old friends. Our room was luxurious. It was not only warm and clean with crisp, white bed linen; bathrobes and slippers were also provided for our use. 'Banjo' our blue heeler was so relieved he would be staying with us instead of sleeping in the vehicle. I agree with Steve V, Sarah was friendly and ready to have a discussion without being intrusive. .The breakfast was a real surprise and much more than a 'continental breakfast'. Over all a great deal of thought and planning has gone into making staying at this B&B a most memorable one and we most definitely recommend this to any traveller who wants to be pampered by great service.

Room Tip: I believe the Garden room has kitchen amenities but we did bit stay in it so you would have to enqui...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
SarahRossetti, Owner at Above Bored Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 June 2013
It is always such a lovely thing to receive such a positive review. It is what we're here for - to please our guests and to afford them a memorable stay. We look forward to seeing you again.
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I must disagree with the review of the Canberrans and they obviously werelooking for something different. Unfortunately could only stay one night and were welcomed with our young dog by Sarah. We had some great conversational with Sarah but at no time was she intrusive on our space. The room was superb with clean linen and a very comfortable bed. Our room had a gas fire and was very warm all night. In my view the continental breakfast was superior to most well known hotels.
Overall a great stay and will certainly enjoy Sarah's hospitality in the future. I would recommend this B & B to all travellers who may like to experience a well maintained period house close to Perth CBD.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This was not quite what we expected for the money paid.
We arrived late at night and let ourselves in as per instructions which were good.
Unfortunately, our experience then became a negative one as we observed sheets which were stained with grey/black marks, very thick dust on the bathroom floor and window ledges.
Breakfast is nothing special, on a par with what you would get in a motel, very plain and completely self-serve, including cooking eggs in a microwave .We noted that the cloth serviettes had not been washed from the previous day and the tablecloth was stained. The owner only appeared for about a minute just as we were going out. She introduced herself and told us to knock on her door if we had any questions. We stayed another night but never saw her again. We departed after our second breakfast just leaving a key in the door.
It's one thing to be given privacy and for B & B operators to be unobtrusive but in our case we felt unwelcomed and were disappointed at the standards on offer.
In our personal experience (which is quite extensive), this accommodation is definitely not in the "exclusive" category as advertised. Mid-range classification would be more appropriate.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
SarahRossetti, Owner at Above Bored Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Dear Guests,
I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us was a disappointment to you, and I do most sincerely apologise. As our other reviews demonstrate, we have a very high record of cleanliness, and your review has been sternly discussed with our housekeeping staff. My only wish is that you could have drawn these things to my attention during your stay as I live on the premises, and it is I who checks our high quality linen daily, and I am only a door knock or phone call away, after you are greeted on or near your arrival. That way we can rectify anything you dislike on the spot. Ours is a (very reasonably priced for a AAA rated 4 star property in Perth) exclusive non intrusive style of place, designed around the needs of our regular guests, who like letting themselves in and getting that home away from home feeling - some note that they love just pulling the door behind them when they leave, that is what we are all about. I of course phone all guests prior to arrival and give them a code to get in and ask breakfast questions. Our table linen is changed daily, and again, I apologise if you thought that it was not. Best Wishes on your further travels. Sarah Rossetti - Proprietor
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Perth
#10 of 64 in Perth
Alex Hotel
Alex Hotel
#5 of 64 in Perth

Been to Above Bored Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!