In my profession I have to keep traveling across the globe, sometimes staying overseas for a period of few weeks at a stretch. My visit to Melbourne was one such visit. I needed to stay at Melbourne for six weeks but since client was located at Northern Suburbs of Melbourne I had to look out for a comfortable long term stay option up north from the central business district.
Since I was staying long I needed an apartment or hotel with a kitchenette and unfortunately I couldn't find any decent options around Thomastown where my client's office was. There were only two options for me - one that was very costly, and the other was Hume Villa.
I booked Hume Villa for lack of options - this was the only hotel in northern suburbs (at Fawkner - it was about 8 kms from my client's office) that had Kitchenette and fit my budget. The fact that it was well rated on TripAdvisor was a help.
When I reached the hotel, I found it a quaint little place bang on Sydney Road and didn't appear a business class hotel by any chance. However my dealing with David, my host at the hotel, had been very professional and prompt, and I was hopeful. Once I stepped in, the quaintness translated into a bit of a charm giving an old world feel with cosy little restaurant in front of the reception, carpeted wooden stairs with carvings. I was quickly checked in and when I dropped into my room I was pleasantly surprised. Clean, bright, well made and spacious studio room with modern fixtures and furniture and an ambience that can be called fit enough for a business class hotel.
Best advantages for my long stay were -
- no frills accommodation with all basic necessity, comfort and a kitchenette; "no frills" didn't compromise on quality of the room or its furnishings
- easy access to the city (there is a train station at 10 mins walk from the hotel) and couple of bus routes within 15 minutes walkable distance.
- eateries and restaurants at walkable distance
- all basic amenities required for an extended stay available at KMart and a Coles hardly 1 Km away
- free wifi
- guest laundry available (not in room, but in common laundry area at a charge); though guest laundry charges were significantly higher than whatever I have seen across the globe it without doubt was a great comfort and the equipment were very effective
- Room was serviced daily
Few points to note (that are a far cry from a business hotel) -
- the restaurant / bistro operates only monday to thursday
- if you are checking in / checking out after 10 PM you need to make special arrangements as the receiption is attended only from 8 AM to 10 PM
- if you are returning late, you will be given security passcodes and key for entry via the rear door
Overall, I had a pleasant and comfortable 6 weeks stay at Hume Villa and I would definitely recommend it to anybody who is looking for a no frills but high quality hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hume Villa Motor Inn is a family run and family friendly clean and convenient Motel on Sydney Road in Fawkner, just 25 minutes north of the Melbourne CBD by train or car. Our motel is close to Melbourne Airport (MEL) and well suited for anyone needing hotel accommodation near Melbourne Airport - only 14 kilometers away. We are very proud of our service and facilities and welcome you to our establishment. Our Restaurant and Bar is on Sydney Road in Fawkner and we have ample secure, undercover parking. We can accommodate large vehicles, caravans and campers. We are ideally placed if you are travelling on the Hume Highway coming to Melbourne or wanting a great Motel near the Melbourne Airport. Hume Villa Motor Inn is a Member of Golden Chain Motels which means guests with Golden Chain Travel Link cards maybe eligible for discount accommodation prices. Our Motel has 35 suites ranging from Deluxe Rooms, Standard Rooms and Spa Units and a selection of Family Rooms - Standard, Deluxe and Two Bedroom. We also have Disabled Access Accommodation for guests with special needs. Our Melbourne Motel has a Licensed Restaurant available open 4 days a week Monday to Thursday, room service is also available. Other accommodation features include Foxtel, In-House Movies, Wireless Internet, Direct Dial phones, Children's adventure playground, guest laundry, and ample off street under cover car parking. Train to the city is only a 5 minute walk. You'll also find easy access to the Spirit of Tasmania via the Western Ring Road. If you looking for fantastic yet budget priced Motel Accommodation close to Melbourne Airport and Melbourne City, then book into the Hume Villa Motor Inn. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hume Villa Motor Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.