“Poor Management”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Clinton
USA
“Poor Management”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

On Wednesday, May 8, 2013, after driving for 13 hours, I arrived at this hotel expecting a suite (which I had reserved) only to find that they had given it away to another guest. What I got instead was a regular room, at the same price as the suite, with a broken television and hair in the bathroom. When I initially suggested a discount, I was told " You have received the rate for a regular room". I received a $25 discount for my room only after complaining. In all actuality, according to Holiday Inns own advertisement, "Best price guarantee or your first night is free" my room should have been free. The keys to my "new room" even had someone else's last name written on them. I come to this area 2 or more times a year and I guarantee this was my first and last stay at this hotel!

Room Tip: The rooms are ok, if the front desk doesn't give it away.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank imalojack
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Clinton, responded to this review, 25 May 2013
Dear imalojack,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service and for the room confusion. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Fulshear, Texas
Reviewed 30 March 2013

When I arrived late after a long day I was tired. The room I "thought" i reserved was not what I got. Being an idiot I raised a little stink. Turns out I made the mistake and did not reserve the room I wanted but the room I got. No matter to the hotel. I was moved first thing the next morning. They were pleasant and made the change without any hesitation.

When I apologized to the staff for my mistake they brushed it off and continued to work hard to make my stay great.

The hotel itself is nice and clean. The rooms are clean and comfortable The bathroom is very clean and well supplied. The TV had two remotes which took me a minute to figure out. Nice channel selection.

Over all it was very quiet.

The staff is first rate.

When I am in Clinton again, I will certainly stay here, but I will double check that I reserve the room I want to avoid looking like an idiot again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Just needed a place to crash and this fulfilled. Free wireless/free breakfast. Make your own pancake machine was different. Had eggs, ham, yogurt, fruit, bread and cinnamon rolls. It was clean so score!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Javatourist
Port Arthur, Texas
Reviewed 9 March 2013

This was my first time stay at a Holiday Inn and Suites. I was very pleased and satisfied. The rooms are very nice and clean, the staff is nice and friendly. I was very comfortable and relaxed at this hotel, I'm usual always disinfecting and wiping down things over and over again in hotels. Everything looked well kept and clean so I was very satisfied. Well worth my money.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tray D
Calhoun City
Reviewed 11 December 2012

This was my first visit to this property in Clinton, and I must say I was treated with royalty! The customer service specialists were very nice and professional. They made sure all of my needs were met. The room was super nice, with great cable channels and a nice large space to relax when I wasn't working. The breakfast and the evening social were great extras to add to my stay. Ms. Patricia in the food service department made sure that we were taken care of and my overall stay was a success. I absolutely have no complaints!! I felt and was treated with PRIORITY!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank neeky555
Beverly Hills, Florida
Reviewed 29 November 2012

average hotel hard to check in. the man doing check in did not know what he was doing. tried to use my priority club card, he did not know how to use it. had to give him all the information over again

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bev34464
Portland ME
Reviewed 21 November 2012

I've stayed at many Holiday Inn properties over the years and have been generally satsified with what the chain offers. I know exactly what to expect. They're mid tier, located everywhere and good value for the money. The Holiday Inn Express in Clinton, MS, was an exception. I had two issues with this hotel. Had the second issue not occured, I would have overlooked the first and would not be writing this review. However, taken together, I've concluded the hotel's housekeeping and management staff seemed indifferent to their guests and incapable of responding to the simplest requests.

First Issue: I spent three nights at this hotel. When I checked in, I found out that only one lamp, of the three lamps in my room, had a light bulb that worked. Housekeeping staff was off duty so the front desk scrounged around and found a light bulb tucked away in drawer. This was burnt out as well. No problem. I said I would ask housekeeping to take care of it the next day. I unscrewed the burnt out bulbs and left them by the lamps along with a written note for housekeeping to replace the bulbs. When I returned to my room the following day, I found the bed made, the room cleaned and the burnt out bulbs exactly where I left them along with the note. Still one light bulb. Hmmmm. I read my book in semi-darkness with a portable book light. On the third day, I returned to my room to again find exactly the same thing -- burnt out light bulbs and note untouched. Three nights in a hotel room with one light bulb! I wasn't sure what to think. Are light bulbs being rationed? Maybe the hotel can't afford to buy light bulbs? How man staff does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Second Issue: I'm almost certain I left a left a portable DVD player in the room when I checked out because it was not in my luggage when I unpacked. I called the front desk and asked that they check with housekeeping to see if one had been truned in by their staff. She assured me that she would check and call back. No call. Two weeks and no call! I called again and ask to speak with the manager. The manager was unavailable so I left a message. Several days later I got a call from the manager. I explained what the problem was and that I had received no response from my first request. He seemed harried but apologized, and assured me that he would check and call back. Now, again two week later, I'm still waiting for that call. Meantime, I went out a bought another portable DVD.

The light bulb episode is not just weird, it's unacceptable. It means housekeeping is not doing its job. When front desk staff say they're going to call back but don't or worse, when a manager promises to call back but doesn't, then management is not doing its job. The only conclusion I can draw is that both either view their guests with contempt or they just aren't interested in doing their jobs well. I cannot recommend this hotel because of the indifference and sloppiness on the part of hotel's housekeeping and management staff.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank dwp94609
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Clinton, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Dear dwp94609,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Clinton, MS. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.