“Hucks”

Description: downtown columbus
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
“Hucks”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

If for some odd reason I go back there, I will get a steak and keep it simple. I got the boudain balls and they were ok. I ordered spaghetti and it tasted horrible. My girlfriend got a 14oz ribeye steak and it was good. The service was slow and the tax on the food was way higher than 7% for some odd reason. I doubt I ever go back there.

• Visited August 2014

Roswell, United States
“A Steakhouse in the South”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

One would never imagine stumbling upon such a wonderful "steak oasis" in the middle of one of the poorest and oldest towns in Mississippi. In the land of cornbread, black-eyed peas, and "stick-to-me" grits, Huck's Place offers a hearty welcoming of great food, Southern hospitality, and a fantastic value for the dollar. Though the atmosphere is upscale casual, the prompt professional staff makes a guest feel like they are the most important in the house. Spending 10 days in Columbus on business is like spending 6 months there. Huck's Place makes it all worth it. The rib-eye is one of the most flavorful cuts of beef I have ever experienced. Owner and Executive Chef Huck Huckleberry, as he introduced himself, explained the special seasoning he developed that makes this cut so special. All of the accompaniments from the grilled asparagus to the baked potatoes, and even the bountiful desserts make this a dining experience to remember. The wine list is plentiful with just the right labels. The cocktails are the perfect size and priced to fit any budget. If you can successfully avoid the local-yokel cops who sit drooling to stop those out-of-state license plates for the least little infraction, I urge all visitors to Columbus to stop at this downtown oasis for a real treat. Huck's Place opened in 2008 during the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression and has become one of the most successful eateries in the region.

1 Thank Thomas C
New York, NY
“One of the best on our weeklong road trip”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was one of the best meals we ate in the course of a weeklong southern road trip. Everything was delicious and the service was good too. Strongly recommend.

• Visited May 2014
“They made me like steak!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I don't usually eat steak but someone told me it was a must try. I ordered the bone-in ribeye. The best steak I have ever tasted. Cooked medium and to perfection. Went perfect with the mashed sweat potatoes and sautéed mushrooms. The dirty rice was just okay, but overall an awesome meal.

• Visited June 2014
Thank treybro52 .
jackson, ms
“Huck's Place”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

When my son got married, we had our rehearsal dinner at Huck's. There were 45 people who came to the dinner (we were expecting 40), but when there's free food involved, the in-laws tend to come out of the woodwork. (That's a joke, ya'll)

We had a private room, upstairs and it was large enough to accommodate all of the guests. We ordered from the menu and gave our guests three choices. They could have the ribeye, blackened grouper, chicken, or shrimp and grits. Meals came with soda and tea, but we kept alcohol off the choices and individuals could order drinks on their own tab.

The ribeye was a 16oz steak and that was cooked weight. They were large and grilled to perfection, with nice a nice char on the outside and cooked perfectly on the inside. The shrimp and grits were outstanding and I sampled my wife's plate. Yummy. The blackened grouper was great and those who had it raved about their choice. There weren't a lot of chicken dinners, so don't know how good that was.

We had 4 servers attending our needs and there were two extra folks who helped with drinks and getting the food out to the group. We were not rushed and the meal was leisurely and everyone had a great time.

I would recommend Huck's if you are going to visit Columbus and while you are in town, take the time to visit the historic district and see the old antebellum houses. Very nice.