“Privacy Plus Tasty Breakfast!”

Painted Lady of Columbus Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 5 Columbus B&B and Inns
Jonesboro, AR
“Privacy Plus Tasty Breakfast!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

My husband and I and another couple rented the entire Painted Lady for a couple of days and nights. We slept upstairs in very comfortable beds with on suite bathrooms that were very clean and well appointed with wonderful towels and toiletries. We used the library suite downstairs as our joint living space and it was perfect--room to sit and relax and an adjoining bathroom so we did not have to climb the stairs all day. Be forewarned if you rent only one suite--the Painted Lady is a true Victorian with steep (although wide with sturdy rails) stairs. Jennifer cooked us great breakfasts each morning and we enjoyed the privacy of the courtyard as well. Jennifer provided snacks and bottled water for our comfort. There is a large refrigerator and Keurig coffee maker in the community area upstairs and a small frig and another Keurig in the library suite downstairs so we were able to have coffee or tea whenever we wanted. We brought our own wine, champagne, etc and Jennifer provided glasses for us. We even used her orange juice to make mimosas for breakfast. Jennifer was a great hostess--she made us comfortable and then gave us our privacy. Highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank YankeeLynn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Columbia, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Our stay at A Painted Lady was everything we imagined it would be. Our room was clean and quiet and filled with lovely antiques. Jennifer was a gracious hostess who made us feel right at home. Breakfast was plentiful and superb. In a town where luxury hotels don't exist, A Painted Lady fills that need with good old fashioned Southern Hospitality and charm. Do yourself a favor and skip the mid to low end chain hotels.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RozLee2013
Port Arthur, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

Beautiful 1890's Victorian style home that is perfectly decorated. I couldn't get over how clean it was in spite of all the trinkets and whatnots everywhere. We stayed in Dolly's room...slept like a baby in the king bed with ultra soft sheets. It was a little warm on arrival but the ac hadn't been on that long an it cooled down nicely. Breakfast was lovely and our hostess, Jennifer, shared stories about the house. Great comfortable stay.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank SybinTexas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

Wow! Words do not do this historic B&B justice. Innkeeper Jennifer Miller has lovingly restored this beautiful Victorian B&B to its former glory (make sure to ask her about the renovations made to the home on your tour, great for history buffs!). From the home's beautiful multi-colored stained glass and lovely exterior paint colors to the spot-on decor and fresh flowers in nearly every room, The Painted Lady shines in downtown Columbus. Miller has paid attention to the small details that make an impact. Tastefully chosen and period-appropriate antiques fill each room and everywhere you look in the house there is something new to discover. I love a well-appointed and beautifully maintained historical home, The Painted Lady tops my list of bed and breakfasts in the Golden Triangle area - highly recommend!

Room Tip: The Library Suite is the only bedroom on the first floor so those guests who are unable to climb one...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lsaintj
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

My husband and I stayed at this very lovely Bed & Breakfast while in Mississippi on business. The inn is filled with exquisite antiques everywhere you look. Jennifer, the innkeeper, did a fabulous job restoring the home to its original splendor. We stayed in the Library room, which was very spacious and comfortable. There is a beautiful courtyard where you can relax and enjoy the fountain and the flowers and a large front porch with lots of comfortable chairs. The inn is conveniently located close to the main street with restaurants and shopping only a short walk away. We will definitely stay at the Painted Lady again should we return to Columbus.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Clare Z
painted41, Owner at Painted Lady of Columbus Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Thank you for staying with us while on business. We try to accommodate our professionals as much as we can . We are glad you got to enjoy the relaxing courtyard and the front porch. The pollen is finally gone and the roses are in full bloom. Thank you for such a kind compliment and do come back to see us!
Jasper, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

We stayed at the Painted Lady in Columbus MS for the pilgrimage in April of this year. We booked the rooms ahead. We were aware the rooms were upstairs and they really are, all except one room which is nice but you have to go through a palor that is for the use of all the guests to get to the bathroom which also serves as the public bathroom on the bottom floor for all the guests. The stairs were steep and 20 of them!. Our rooms were nice but overly decorated in our opinion. We did not have a drinking glass in our room but did have coffee outside of the room and got a glass there. The screen on the back door where you have to enter was torn, not looking too good. The front porch was beautiful, but it was difficult to get out the front door and there was a ladder out on the front porch!!!!!

There were NO hangers whatsoever in our closet and when we asked for hangers we were given about six of them and two to three of them were for children's clothes....not much good for us. None of the hangers would accommodate pants.!

We are aware a single mother is running this B & B and she has her hands full as she has other properties.

The first day's breakfast was alright except that we had asked to eat at 8:30 since we were starting the pilgrimage at 9. We came into the dining room at 8:30 and the table wasn't even set. She did get it set and served us. The next day we had again requested breakfast at the same time since we were again going on the pilgrimage. Jennifer was busy trying to get her daughter ready to go for some participation in the pilgrimage and did serve us an egg frittata....it was not cooked hardly at all and our friends would not eat it. We were the only guests in the house the second night and there was only one other couple the first night and they ate granola for breakfast.

I have stayed in worse B & B's....this one was clean and had clean towels and linens, but is too expensive for what it is in Columbus. I will be returning to Columbus the end of this month and staying in another B & B there so will be able to compare.

Room Tip: You can hear the trains from any of the rooms...the downstairs room has to share it bathroom with th...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jeannie b
Actually, Painted Lady is not struggling it is alive and doing very well! We are sorry you did not enjoy yourself during pilgrimage and that your standards of a historic bed and breakfast were not met. We try to keep our 1890's home to the period with plush bedding,antiques in every room, custom made drapery, period wallpapers and antique collectibles . Doing otherwise just wouldn't feel right. As for the public bathroom you mentioned downstairs, there is not one. You evidently walked in the Library Suite and used their private restroom! Had you asked me , you could have used the one off of the kitchen in our private quarters. Might I add that all our rooms except Katie's Room have a private bathroom. The parlor that you mentioned having to walk through is a separate room and is off of the main hallway. Yes we do get a workout on those stairs. I am glad you were aware that your room was located upstairs. Wouldn't an elevator be nice in an old house?
Maintaining a B&B/Hotel/Inn is constant maintenance. We were painting the week you stayed with us. We are sorry you had to see the painters ladder on the front porch but I am sure it did not get in the way of you rocking in the antique rocking chairs.
As for your dining experience and not having the table set, we let our guests choose where to sit before we put out all the utensils . We have 2 tables with up to 11 seats. We do hope you enjoyed the candles and lovely flower arrangement that was on the table. As for the food, everyone's taste is different. I serve the most requested recipes and are tested over a 7 year span with no complaints. I am sorry your frittata was not well done. People like them cooked different ways.
Should I clarify the statement you made about the other guests who were staying with us and only had granola? The husband had a fruit course and an egg casserole dish. His wife told me right as I was serving them that she couldn't eat casseroles with eggs in it, so I served her a lovely parfait of layered Greek yogurt, homemade granola and tropical fruit. This is why I need to know in advance of any food allergies or special diets so that I can accommodate our guests.
May I point out that most of the b&b's run in Columbus are by women ,some single and some are widowed. I think to own an establishment and operate it solely by yourself and be successful is a huge accomplishment in life. It's too bad that some people are very negative no matter what you do to make them happy.
TEXAS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

This is without a doubt the best bed and breakfast experience that I have ever had. I took a business trip to Columbus and decided that I didn't want to stay at the cookie-cutter hotels in the area. After performing a search on Expedia I found a profile with photos for The Painted Lady B&B and I was sold. When I arrived I new I made a good choice. Jennifer immediately offered me a cool glass of lemonade and I journeyed up to my room for the night. I was blown away by the ornate antique furniture and paintings. In the morning, Jennifer made me a first class breakfast of prailine waffles, fresh fruit and tea. I would recommend this B&B to anyone!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business