“Fabulous!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Columbus B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed 5 April 2011

My wife and I had the great pleasure of staying at Shadowlawn on our recent vacation road trip. Shadowlawn is both beautiful and comfortable - a wonderful example of an antebellum history and architecture. Burnette (the owner) made us feel so welcome, the most accommodating and gracious host one could hope for. The breakfast was beautifully prepared and a real treat - we only wished we could have stayed longer! We would highly recommend Shadowlawn to anyone visiting Columbus MS.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank betsi61

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
mjremenesk
Reviewed 2 October 2010

I traveled to MS to visit family. I thought I'd splurge and stay in a B&B. What a fabulous find and beyond my expectations. The home is furnished with high end antiques and the southern hospitality is a dream. I'm a traveler for business and pleasure and there is no going wrong here. Will be back and am delighted to call this my home away from home!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Vacaville, California
Reviewed 3 August 2010

We had our wedding at Shadowlawn and then stayed the night in the honeymoon suite as a gift from the owner. The house is incredibly beautiful, fully restored, antique furniture throughout, and a charming yard big enough for our wedding and reception to entertain 70 plus guests. It is a family run bed and breakfast and offers a family feel from the time you make your reservation until the time you leave. The rooms have high ceilings, upgraded bathrooms, and beautifully decorated. Burnette, the owner, is wonderful and makes you feel like family rather than a guest. We awoke that next morning to a wonderful breakfast, served in the formal dining room. Just a really great place to stay if you are traveling through Mississippi.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Starkville, MS
Reviewed 3 July 2010

I was very nervous about my second wedding. Although my future husband and I had already had the large church wedding we still wanted to have an intimate wedding with our closes family and friends. After visiting several possible locations we selected Shadowlawn. It was the perfect decision. Burnette and her family made us feel as if though we were the most important people in the world. Burnette worked endlessly to make sure everything was perfect. We met with her for only a couple of hours and selected flowers, food, and all the finishing touches we wanted. We arrived the evening before and Burnette walked us through everything. My daugters and I stayed the night and the guys stayed at a different location. After a fabulous night sleep we joined each other for a delicious breakfast. I wanted a morning wedding with a brunch reception. Even though it was a holiday weekend, Burnette made it happen. Thirty guest arrived for our family wedding and a short time later we were in the garden have the reception of my dreams. The "Shrimp and Grits" are to die for. This dish is a must have. All dishes were wonderful, the setting was beautiful and my flowers were perfect.

I think it is important that a second wedding is even more special than the first. The blending of families and the celebration should be perfect. If you are busy but still want to have a special day; even in your 40s and 50s, call Burnette. You won't be disappointed and all you have to do is show up, enjoy, and then stay the night in a wonderful bedroom. Finding her, her family, and her home was truly a blessing.

Thank you Burnette. We look forward to sharing our first anniversary in hour home.

• Stayed May 2010
Germantown, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 June 2010

There is not a better place to stay while you're in Columbus! This B & B puts you into the relaxed and restful feeling of the ole south. Between the excellent service, friendly Hostess, and scrumptious breakfast there is no better place to stay in Columbus. Both my husband and I loved the romantic room, the well kept gardens and opulent decor through out the house. In the evenings sitting on the fine wicker sofa, was the perfect romantic place to gaze at the moon. The cooking was amazing, the service was wonderful and the family is the most hospitable hosts we have ever meet! Thanks B for your fine, southern hospitality! Greatest stay ever!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Lebanon, Indiana
Reviewed 27 June 2010

We recently had a chance to stay Shadowlawn where you clearly understand the difference of staying at a hotel and being graciously invited into Burnette’s home. As a consultant I have stayed all over the world and there is no comparison to the feeling that warm and caring person, like Burnette, means to someone where genuine hospitality is experienced even compared to a nicest hotels.

It was truly a blessing to be welcomed into her home and she extended that same welcome to my son , who has just started his pilot training at the Columbus Air Force Base, to join us for a family breakfast. This may seem like a little thing but that is what their bed and breakfast is all about.

I watched Burnette as she talked and helped everyone staying their and you could see that she did not just have guests but instead she see the world as a place where everyone is part of her family.

What a great house, hospitality and memory for my family.

I hope you have a chance to experience the true joy of the Christian atmosphere you will find at Shadowlawn and take a moment and enjoy a conversation because that is what make life worth living.

Chris L Lebanon, Indiana

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Shadowlawn does it all. Burnette took care of everything for my wedding even when the weather didn't cooperate she was able to keep ME calm and rearrange seating so my reception was wonderful. It was everything my husband and I wanted. A fun family bbq with dancing and laughter in a beautiful environment.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family