“This place is heavenly”

Ranked #1 of 5 Columbus B&B and Inns
Dusseldorf, Germany
“This place is heavenly”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

On a two weeks business trip to Columbus, I left my chain hotel room after two nights and moved to Shadowlawn for the remainder of my time in Mississippi. Burnette’s hospitality and the wonderful house just take your mind off work, and the breakfast is quite probably the best I have ever had. Thanks again for everything!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Clinton, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

Shadowlawn is a magical place where all your worries melt away! The house and grounds are gorgeous, the rooms are more spacious than many we have stayed in in the past, the accommodations are wonderful. Anyone who loves southern history, Victorian antiques, or just the charm of the old south should visit here. There is much history both in the house and in the town. The house has many lovely antique pieces of furniture, too many to describe. The dining room is magical with lovely tablescapes and soft music at breakfast. And oh, the breakfast!! Absolutely divine every time we visit! The Monte Cristo is divine and definitely a favorite! In the evening we strolled around the grounds. The back yard is beautiful and your senses will be awaked by the lovely, enchanting smells of confederate jasmine, gardenias, bearded iris and wax leafed lagustrum, just to name a few! They are so lovely and so fragrant! I have a garden myself, but none so nice as this one, so it was truly heaven to appreciate the sights and scents of such lovely flowers! The hostess does many weddings and had created a "Pinterest wall" on her back fence for her own daughter's wedding. She graciously allowed us to take pictures in front of it and since we were celebrating our wedding anniversary it was a very special moment for us. Some of the most lovely photos I have of us are taken at Shadowlawn! Burnette truly goes out of her way to give everyone a wonderfully delightful experience at Shadowlawn! We have been married a year and have returned four more times. It has become our favorite place and one where we truly feel loved, welcomed, and right at home!

• Stayed May 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I was lucky enough to stay at Shadowlawn for nearly a week while on business, and enjoyed every minute! The property is gorgeous and home so full of history and character. My room was incredibly regal, with beautiful antique furniture and drapery. Most of all, Burnette is a fabulous host (and cook!). She epitomizes Southern hospitality at its finest. And - of course - she made exquisite breakfasts for me during my stay. I highly recommend Shadowlawn for short or long stays and for events - such a beautiful setting!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Shadowlawn is perfectly romantic. I had the priviledge of being the photographer for a fairy tale wedding there this past weekend and Shadowlawn has certainly etched itself deep in my mind with such an awestruck first impression. The home, the decor, the antique furniture and the lawn were all amazing! I feel very honored to have hit it off greatly with the owner Mrs Burnette and am still amazed at the charm and graciousness of her and this beautiful place! Mrs Burnette handled my clients wedding from A to Z except for the photography. How can one person be so knowledgeable on all of the wedding planning from catering, decor, flowers to the hosting is beyond me but she did it flawlessly and intricately! I will forever be inspired by Shadowlawn!
Heather Riley,
Owner, heatherrileyphotography.com

• Stayed June 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Hello, I thought I would write a review on this hotel as it has to been one of my favourite places I have been to for a while. We spent just one night here and I wished it had been longer. We were there while annual pilgrimage was taking place.This is a small location of stunning homes in which to visit in this historical area. The home in itself is very impressive with some amazing items hidden around to beautiful rooms. The owner of this house is a lovely lady, extremely kind and takes care of her guests. The gardens are well presented, and a sit on the porch is a must in the early morning just listening to the birds. The attention to detail is lovely and you will feel very much at home. If you tke the time to talk with Burnette you will I am sure leave as a freind rather that just another guest. I would have no hesitation in reccommending her home to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Reviewed 21 January 2013

My wife and I were attending an event at the local university and I booked a room at Shadowlawn based on their proximity to the campus...best decision we could've made. We felt at home the moment we walked in the door. The home is beautiful and Burnette is a very gracious host...it seemed we had known her for years. We had such a great time sitting and talking with her and her daughter (and playing with their Cocker Spaniels).

We stayed for 3 nights and each morning's breakfast was different (and scrumptious) and served in the home's formal dining room. We had also requested a bottle of wine with a cheese tray our first night...a delicious pinot noir accompanied by a warm brie, several different cheeses, fresh strawberries and crackers.

The home also hosts weddings, receptions, parties and other gatherings. Shadowlawn is THE choice!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Victorian Suite, that has a jetted tub and walk-in shower.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We needed a place for two nights during an event at the Air Force Base in Columbus and I looked at several places in town on the internet. Decided to check Trip Advisor which I have found to be very reliable over the years. I stumbled on Shadowlawn and after an email and a phone call was able to secure two rooms. To just say 'two rooms' is an understatement. These were both very elegant and very comfortable. The whole facility was clean - bathrooms are up to date and more than adequate which is often a problem at older establishments. The owner/hostess/cook is a delight and made us a superb breakfast served with style! It indeed made our stay in Columbus a joy. Our rooms were the same price that other family members paid at a new Hampton Inn nearby.... and we were 10 times more comfortable. I would highly recommend Shadowlawn.

Room Tip: Choose one with an in-room bathroom.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
ShadowlawnBandB, Owner at Shadowlawn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Thanks for such a beautiful review. You all were such wonderful guests, it was my pleasure to have you in our home. I especially enjoyed everyone gathering for your large family breakfast! Such fun! Again, Congrats to the graduate! Blessings to you all! You are always welcome back.