“Great Catfish”

Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Huntsville, AL
“Great Catfish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

I was here Labor Day weekend 2013. The Catfish was great. But They only open Thursday -Sunday 5pm-8:30pm. Service was a little slow but once the food got on the table the catfish kept coming all you can eat.

• Visited September 2013

Belleville, Illinois
“Down Home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

It was far enough back from the Gulf to survive "the storm" (Katrina). It's the place you'd want to go if both the catfish catch of the day was fantastic and the farmers' chickens were plentiful--a feast of the top of the season to celebrate the bounty of the Earth.

While you wait for a table (which you most likely will; this place is well-known), you can shell and eat peanuts. Once your name is called, you sit down to all-you-can-eat fried catfish and chicken (the most popular choice) and enjoy.

Truth be told, my last visit wasn't in May '12. I was visiting my parents in Pass Christian to help wherever I could after Katrina took out their power, gas, and the foundations of their house. They'd been eating at "God's Katrina Kitchen", a food kitchen in a tent in their city, Pass Christian, and they took an evening out for a little change.

Down home stuff, folks; and done the way the down-home folks know how. Properly seasoned breading for the properly cooked (just enough to still be moist) fish and birds. Non- or sweet tea (or other beverages) in bottomless mugs. Were they biscuits or rolls? No matter; they were a perfect addition.

Charlie's is the away-from-the-coast equivalent of a seafood shack on the coast. I'd have a hard time choosing between 'em--and I'm a seafood addict.

Visited May 2012
Gulfport
“Been a Regular since nearly the beginning”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

My first visit to Catfish Charlies was back in 1982, and ever since I have returned, usually on my B-Day plus 1-2 times per year, especially whenever family is in town from out of state.

Catfish Charlies is a destination. You plan to go there rather (in part because of the 3 day per week business hours) than a spur of the moment decision or alternative because your favorite chain restaurant is packed to rafters.

Like many destination restaurants, visiting Catfish Charlies needs a purpose... for my family and friends the purpose of visiting Catfish Charlies is to entertain a smallish party of people (4 to 12) with good food.

Catfish Charlies is NOT a romantic get away perfect for two. Catfish Charlies is not to confused with fine dining.

Instead Catfish Charlies is Catfish, Catfish and even more Catfish. Fresh, HOT and perfectly fried every time. Good Mississippi Catfish, non of that imported semi-fish stuff found at the chain restaurants.

The waitresses can be salty and sassy to their regulars, but always professional and I have never had a waitress ignore my table or fail to bring us plenty of refills of Catfish or even Cole Slaw. Yum, Cole Slaw.

That level of professionalism extends to the quantity of food brought to the table.... maybe a point of contention with first time visitors. It is readily apparent that management would rather have small to moderate size portions brought to the table on a frequent basis so that the Catfish and sides are hot and fresh, then bring a monster huge/over sized portion that quickly gets cold (or maybe goes uneaten). Like I previously said, the waitresses will keep bringing servings to the table as much and often as I need to feed my group so I have no complaints about portion control..

Expect a wait if you can't be first in line at 5PM when they open.... warning, waits over 1 hour are not uncommon if they got nailed with a big group ahead of you.. It is obvious the management would rather keep you waiting in the entry hall area eating peanuts then trying to seat groups (even small groups of 4 people) and overload the waitresses trying to handle their current customers.

Unfortunately, they don't accept reservations. Maybe it adds to the flair/flavor of the restaurant, but there are times I don't feel like waiting. That said, in 30 years of visits I have only left the parking lot once without waiting out the wait.

Prices have slowly crept up over time, but have been consistently fair, running 5 to 10% +/- the price of the direct competition.

Complaints?

Other than the occasional wait, I have none.

Visited December 2012
bay st louis
“service is going, going, and gone way down hill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

I try not to review a place till after I have been there a few time. I have been here seveal times over the years. Menu is simple catfish, chicken, shrimp, with sides all fried other than some sides. This place is open three day a week only is a country family style place. The food is very good and you can get lots of it if you can get them to bring it out. We have a few times had problems getting a second order of fish or chicken. The thang that is keeping my family away from here is for what you pay to eat here the service is just Unacceptable to the point when we go out on weekend to eat we no longer eat here over the price/service issues. There is often a line but I have noted the last few times that line is getting smaller so other folks are having the same problem. Also, do not bother to complain it will get you no where, one really feels like you are being milled through the place rather than a night out with the family. I have taken family from 5 to 14 people at a time.

• Visited June 2012
Mississippi Gulf Coast
“Very Poor Customer Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

The food has usually always been very good, but on the one occasion when it wasn't the owners refused to make any allowances for our horrible experience. As a former restaurant operator I know that sometimes things are at their best, and that is the time for the manager or owner to step up and make sure the customer is satisfied. That is not the case at this business, if you get a poor meal, that's just too bad . . . they'll offer you a 'free' coffee or let you take some of the cold food home. I've gone there for years, but after trying to deal with the owners I'll never go back.

Visited July 2012

Been to Catfish Charlies? Share your experiences!