“Birthday Vacation”

Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Gulfport
Dunnellon Fl
“Birthday Vacation”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I recently celebrated my 70th Birthday by a three night stay at the Island View. My entire stay was quite enjoyable the hotel, restaurant and casino staff well very pleasant and helpful. We had excellent food at both the Grill and the Buffet. I even found Birthday chocolates in my room. There is a slight problem with hallway noise but that is more of a problem with the other guest than the hotel. I very much look forward to my next visit'

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Largo60
Jeff T, Guest Relations Manager at Island View Casino Resort, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you for your comments about your recent visit to the Island View Casino. We work hard to provide our customers an exceptional experience and it makes everyone involved feel rewarded when customers send us words of praise. Please be assured I will be sharing your comments with the property’s department managers so they may recognize their team members for making a positive contribution during your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Ooltewah, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We have stayed at Island View twice in the last 3 months and have thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Had 2 free nights and two discounted nights both times. Ate at the Buffett twice for a total of $15.00. (thats 4 meals) Got some perks at C&G Grill also. Had a lot of free play on our Player"s Cards. Housekeeping was excellent. Security staff was pleasant and seemed to go out of their way to help us. Waitresses in the casino area were prompt with drink orders and friendly. I think raging over tea and the pool is a little out of line. We will be back in a couple of months. By the way, it is a 460 mile drive for us but well worth it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank chumpcsy
Erbil
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Tiring of chain motels and interstate highways on a long drive (1800 miles) from New York to Texas, I decided to take a detour and treat myself to a stay at a nice hotel on the Gulf Coast. With the help of the tourist center at the Alabama/Mississippi border, I chose this one.

I'm a chain tea drinker and without a cup of tea before bed, I'm miserable. The introduction of in-room coffee makers in most motels/hotels has been a godsend. In every other state I'd passed through (Virginia, Tennessee, Alabama) tea bags were provided along with coffee packs in far humbler places than this "resort". I knew I had a problem when I ordered tea after a meal at a nice restaurant in Meridian, Mississippi and the waitress didn't know what I meant by "black tea".

When I checked into the Island View, they told me they had coffee makers in the room, but I found there was no tea. I called the front desk and they said they would have housekeeping bring some. Two hours later when I had not received the tea, I called housekeeping. She said she'd told the front desk she didn't have tea bags (!) and would research the matter. She called me back and told me I had to call room service. I called room service and they informed me they did not serve tea in this hotel (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and I should contact the front desk. As my phone did not work, I had to go downstairs through the clouds of cigarette smoke emanating from the casino to speak to them.

They could have cared less. They had never heard of a cup of tea and were not about to find out how I could get one. I persisted and they relented, calling the coffee shop. Yes, they said, the coffee shop had tea, but they did not have tea bags. I then asked how it was possible to make tea if they did not have tea bags and a lightbulb went on in their heads. They called the coffee shop back and asked them how they made tea. Eureka, I had my tea bags, I thought.

However, when I got to the coffee shop and said I was the one who wanted to buy tea bags, as the hotel would not provide them for free, she pointed me to a display of fancy teas. I asked how much a tea bag cost. $2.50 she said. As I was too exhausted after driving for 8 hours to get in my car and look for a grocery store, I reluctantly shelled out $2.50 for a tea bag and was lucky that she threw in a big cup and hot water for not extra charge.

The point is not that it is easier to buy heroin than get a cup of tea in the State of Mississippi, it's that my request was not such an unusual one (or is drinking tea that bizarre a request?) and a hotel of this class could have made more of an effort to keep a guest comfortable (i.e they could have just given me some tea bags!). As it was after spending two hours trying to get a cup of tea, I had to go back upstairs to get my purse as they would not even allow me to charge the tea from the coffee shop on my account without ID.

I was thinking of resting up for two days here, but was so aggravated by the attitude of the staff here I may just get back on the road and stick to chain motels. The staff has been extremely accommodating in those places, but they seem to have a real attitude problem here. The room is pleasant enough, but to get to the upstairs where the rooms are, you have to walk through the casino area with all it's noise and cigarette smoke. I don't know what the rating on this hotel is but it has to be about 4 or 5 star and for that they really should provide tea bags!

Room Tip: I wanted a room with a view of the harbor but all they had were handicapped rooms. Turns out there...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
9 Thank eldelErbil
Jeff T, Manager at Island View Casino Resort, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Thank you for the review of your stay here at the Island View Casino Resort, we truly feel that no one is in a better position to provide us with valuable information on how we can improve our service than our customers. Please know that we have addressed this issue with the appropriate staff to ensure a more positive resolution in the future.
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My fiancé and I decided to have lunch at C&G Grill. We were seated and had to wait 10min for a waiter to come to take our order. It took 15min after we made our order to receive our drinks. Keep in mind the resturaunt was not even busy. So we decided to go to the manager of C&G and let her know of our poor service. She decided to act very rude and was not nice by no means. We then decided to contact the manager over the grill. He listened to are story about what took place and left to speak with her. We waited thinking that he would handle this matter and apologize for her attitude and bad service. Beau Tosh the manager returned and was yelling and cursing at us to leave and said we we not allowed back. This was completely handled the wrong way. I've never in my life been so embarrassed and insulted!!! I don't know why these supposed to be professionals were acting so terrible to us. What did we do???? So uncalled for!!!

• Stayed January 2012
10 Thank Michelle228
Houston
Reviewed 22 December 2011

On our drive to Florida (from TX), we spent a night at the Island View on 12/6/2011. The accomodations were better than expected, and my wife appreciated having a mini-fridge in the room. Most casino resorts ... at least the ones we've visited ... do not off er this amenity.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Illusive333
BEAVERTON
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We used to enjoy this casino ever since it opened. With our level of play we always qualified for 2 buffet dinners on our comps. Also there buffet is not the greatest, especially their meat selection is mediocre, it was nice enough considering it was free. Well since a few months something must have changed. Surely it was not our level of play - actually I'd rather think that increased - but we now at best qualify for a take out sandwich for one or two. As there are many other casinos in this area that offer much better food comps and food for that matter, I suggest gamble somewhere else. We brought this to the attention of players club/VIP desk and sadly they had nothing to say or offer.

Room Tip: Players Club and VIP Desk totally unhelpful.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Lucky1499
Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I have being flying to the The Island View Casino Resort for three years now! It offers first-class amenities and spacious hotel rooms with very comfortable beds! It has the best and most impressive, gaming floor around! They offer fun games where anyone has a chance to win "Free Play" just having your player card turned on!

Their delious diverse range of restaurant choices and first class room service is over the top! The buffett has working food stations and I actually learned how to make "Spring rolls" by watching their awesome food service staff! ( Paul, Pearla, Heather and Sarah are so helpful)) Honestly, I wish they would get a small gym , because I over eat while I'm there! Two elipticals and a few bikes would keep me in shape! Untill then, I run around the property where the security personnel is always abundant!

We have had family reunions there and everyone had a great time! Most of us fly to the Island View, now instead of Vegas! The new pool area is an attractive recent addition! Also, the VIEW bar always has superior entertainment , a good dance floor and plenty of modern lounge couches to fall into! I love to dance to the great bands they showcase!

The bar tenders and waitresses are above all others in the area,. as if they are hand picked! BT: Lee, Brian, Mark, Robbie, Chris, Stu, Rusty, Chad, Joey,Joel and Waitresses : Valerie,Barbie,Niny,Tasha,Jenn, Rose, & many more make my stay pleasent!! They are professional and cordial! If you are a sloppy foul mouthed drunk, they will "not serve you" alcohol but offer you coffee! That sensible move is why I play there! I can't be bothered playing the other casino's that allow customer mayhem and shady dealings going on. I feel safe,secure, comfortable, welcomed , well rested and happy when I am there! I have had nothing but FUN each and everytime I visit, THE ISLAND VIEW!
God bless,
Sincerely, Cathy Coughanour

Room Tip: End rooms are bigger and longer. They have smoker floors if you smoke!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank eatingapplepie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulfport
Wingate by Wyndham Gulfport
Courtyard Gulfport Beachfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Gulfport
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Biloxi
Holiday Inn Express Long Beach
IP Casino Resort Spa - Biloxi

Been to Island View Casino Resort? Share your experiences!