“love this place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Gulfport
orlando, fl
“love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Cant understand the complaints...We love this casino. We used to go to Vegas a couple times a year but with all the airline travel delays, we dont bother anymore. It takes all day to get there because we always have to transfer now .. no more non stop flights. Anyway, we drive from Orlando, fl two or three times a year and always stay at Islandview. We stay because we like the way were treated, the rooms are great and they have a good variety of machines. weve been there twice this year and we will be returning at least one more time. If I ever had one complaint is that we never have the same casino host, but I think in this industry people move around.

Room Tip: Because my husband has some problems we like to be close to elevator. The hotel cant always guarante...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gloria g
Jeff T, Guest Relations Manager at Island View Casino Resort, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Thank you for your kind words describing your experience with the Island View Casino. We work hard to provide our customers an exceptional experience and it makes everyone involved feel rewarded when customers complement our efforts.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

The one thing that sticks out for us is the smoke. We are both non smokers and can put up with it, but this may be the smokiest casino we have ever been in. I don't know if it's the ventilation system, but a casino this new should not be this bad. We made sure and only wore the same clothes when in the casino for both nights we we're there. After that we put them in a trash bag, sealed it and basically quarantied them away from the rest of our luggage. We also found it hard to get served in the casino. The waitresses cover a large area and it may be awhile before they come back. I don't stay in one place very long, especially if I'm loosing. I ordered drinks a couple of times that I never got. The rooms we're nice and clean and the A/C was very quiet at night. But, they could use more lighting and plug in's. We we're allowed to check in a couple of hours eary and that was a big plus. Great bed & hd tv. In room safe was great to have available. We never used any of the resturants, to expensive for us. We don't gamble enough to get much free. But there are many great options within a short drive that you can get 2 meals at for the price of one buffet (Logan's). Also if you are staying and don't like to use the valet, the walk to the hotel/casino sometimes can be quite far, especially when pulling your luggage. Will we stay again? Yes! This is far from the worst experience we've ever had at a hotel/casino. Three star rating is because of the smoke. Enter from the sw corner near the parking garage and you can smell it before the door is even opened.

Room Tip: Go high if your looking for a view of any kind.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ticner58Indiana
Jeff T, Guest Relations Manager at Island View Casino Resort, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Island View Casino. We truly appreciate your feedback, and feel no one is in a better position help us improve our facility than you, our customer.

Please know I have shared your comments with our engineering mangers so they may ensure our air handling systems in our public areas are operating at peak efficiencies, Again thank you and we look forward to your return to the Island View Casino.
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed at this resort three times in the past year. I would say, no, this is not Las Vegas but then there is only one Las Vegas and machines and comps have tightened up there recently too.
We always use our player cards and always eat free at the buffet and get offers quite frequently for free rooms. This casino has almost daily kiosk games to boost your points with minimal play. There are times machines are looser than others and you must schedule your playing time accordingly. I have seen a few hand payouts but I have seen penny slots pay $ 400.00 to $900.00 with not always max bet being played. I have also seen people play $20.00 betting 30 cent and drink for free. Can't beat that for a night out.There are plently of cocktail waitresses but on the weekend it gets very crowded. As for tea, the previous review is not true. The Resort does have tea bags.
I have "black tea" every day for breakfast at the buffet. No it is not in the room and that is inconvenient. Bring some from home because you can make hot water with the coffee maker. If you look hard enough anywhere you can find something to complain about.Staff are friendly and there are plenty of them. Being rude and badgering the help will get you ignored.

Room Tip: End of hall good choice, if you don't smoke they have non smoking rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bubbasgirl13
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We walked in near the casino area to check in. It smelled very smoky. When we walked out of the elevator to go to our room on the sixth floor it smelled like very stinky body order. Our non smoking room smelled of smoke. We told someone at the front desk and they sent housekeeping to try to freshen the area. It improved a little. The next morning the hall area smelled like sour milk.

When we got our bill we were charged $20 more than we were quoted on the phone.

The good points were a comfortable bed and the restaurant where we ate.
We ate at CG's Grill. The food and service were very very good there.

I think we will stay at another hotel next time we are in the area.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank F10blues
Jeff T, Guest Relations Manager at Island View Casino Resort, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you encountered during your recent visit here at Island View. Please know that I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate managers for their review in an effort that proper steps are taken to prevent what you have described from occuring in the future.
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

A good quality choice when visiting the Gulf. Well appointed and spacious rooms. Pleasant staff for the most part and convenient access to GPT airport. This is the third time I've stayed there in the past 6 months and will gladly extend my business to them again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank vialux
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Island View Casino. We work hard to provide our customers an exceptional experience and it makes everyone involved feel rewarded when customers send us words of praise.
Gulfport, Mississippi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Post-Katrina, and as a local, this became the place we went to gamble and we used to love this Casino. It was always fun, got lots of free food and room comps and we took advantage of each and every one as we gambled across the way. However, with the amount of money I have spent there, I have come to realize my Buffet and room wasn't free, I've paid hundreds of dollars for that bed and meal. Feeding me is the LEAST they can do...But, it has gone downhill, fast!
Now, you're lucky if you can find a cocktail waitress (I'm sorry, before the first $100.00 is gone - I'd like a beer please) but, then again, she probably doesn't have the time to get to me in the 15 minutes it takes to lose $200.00 in their tight slot machines.
Locals talk and the View needs to be listening. The comps are harder to earn, you might get lucky for a free meal with the first $500.00. Don't expect too many bonus rounds in your game, I think they have shut them down. It's been more than 4 years since ANYONE, I know, has gotten a "hand-pay".
The Buffet is price is ridiculous for the food value. And, I'm not going to pay $9.00 at the bar, for a drink, when I'm 20 feet from the bar, (without a cocktail waitress in sight), at that slot machine.."right there".
Don't waste your time complaining to anyone, you will be embarrassed or angered by their lack of concern. My LAST visit ended with my electronic slot machine messing up, I had a few surrounding people watch, to confirm my problem, and then hit the service button with absolute certainty. I was humiliated! Not only did the slot tech tell me, basically, I was "full of it" but she REFUSED to even acknowledge the other people (my witnesses) statements that the machine did error. Before I knew it, she had the floor manager and security at my machine. ALL refusing to hear my witnesses, even asking them to "allow the staff to handle the situation"...WHAT??? They should have taken a look at my amount of play before they decided to call me a liar. Because now, me and my money, drive further down the road to other casinos. By the way, my sister, one row over, told me they shut that machine down about 2 hours after I stomped out of there...hummm!
But, let's be REAL, this isn't Vegas, don't expect it to be...they run short staff, with a big turn-over...after 4 years of being a weekend regular, you'd think I'd get to know one of the cocktail waitresses..but no. Emeril's has come and gone from this Casino, and I'm not surprised! The salt-water pool was a nice addition, but no thanks..they no longer offer anything I want or need!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Charlotte0525
Please be assured we realize the impressions the encounters you have described may leave on our customers, and we regret when we fail to meet the expectation you have come to expect from us. Please know that I have forwarded your comment's the appropriate managers for their review. We do appricate your buisness here at Island View, and look forward to your return.
Dunnellon Fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

I recently celebrated my 70th Birthday by a three night stay at the Island View. My entire stay was quite enjoyable the hotel, restaurant and casino staff well very pleasant and helpful. We had excellent food at both the Grill and the Buffet. I even found Birthday chocolates in my room. There is a slight problem with hallway noise but that is more of a problem with the other guest than the hotel. I very much look forward to my next visit'

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Largo60
Jeff T, Guest Relations Manager at Island View Casino Resort, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you for your comments about your recent visit to the Island View Casino. We work hard to provide our customers an exceptional experience and it makes everyone involved feel rewarded when customers send us words of praise. Please be assured I will be sharing your comments with the property’s department managers so they may recognize their team members for making a positive contribution during your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulfport
Wingate by Wyndham Gulfport
Courtyard Gulfport Beachfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Gulfport
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Biloxi
IP Casino Resort Spa - Biloxi
Holiday Inn Express Long Beach

Been to Island View Casino Resort? Share your experiences!