“A Close to home resort”

Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Gulfport
Jackson, Mississippi
“A Close to home resort”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I grew up living on the coast in the summers. My dad loved to fish and we had a place to stay when there. Now being a child at the time, the old coast was just fine to my nephew and I (yes, I have a nephew older than me by 1 month and a half.) Sick isn't it. Mom and Daughter pregnant at the same time. (Sorry I digress) Anyway I was into Superman where we would walk to the corner drugstore and get the latest issues of comics and where we stayed we could walk to the beach and go to the stores or bowling alley close by. (yes it was really safe for us to go by ourselves - this was in the mid 60's -) Our fave thing was the old goofy golf places but the other places that made the coast kind of seedy was the strip joints. Well, anyway after Katrina things changed and I revisited the coast for the first time in probably thirty years and fell in like all over again. The coast is more like a resort and it just makes you feel refreshed to go there.

The place we like to stay is Island View Casino. (yes, here we go again, a good ole Southern Baptist in a casino?)

Island View is clean, staff are welcoming and rooms are generous, and what??? family's all over the place. Children are protected by gambling laws and can not enter the actual casino unless escorted by security to the resturants. What are they being exposed to you gasp in shock? Video games for grown ups, Not drunken slobs hanging on bimbos, They have a swimming pool that stays busy and a good location for other attractions that are appropriate for family along with places to eat for all budgets. I plan to take my grandchildren and choose to stay there over other places which there are plenty of nice ones.

Am I being a terrible grandmother, maybe, but I also take them to Chuck e Cheese where we play games for rewards. too.

So if you have a chance go visit Island View - a really nice get away for grownups - Tastefully decorated, It has a snack bar, two restuarants, and the proverbial buffet. I enjoy getting a cup of tea at the snack grill with a pastry. We ate at C&G grill and is was ok but could improve food on menu but an absolute great salad bar with more than the traditional salad makings. Pastas, all kinds of different salad combinations, like Carrot, Broccoli, Italian, Waldorf's etc. that provide an option other than menu items. Decor is lovely and refined and you actually feel you are somewhere other than the coast. Which is just fine for this Mississippi Loving Woman. If you want a fine dining experience they also have Carter Green Steak House, of which we have yet to try. Then they are remodeling the bar and entertainment area so look forward to that re-opening. Casino's have pretty fair entertainment in the music venue and it is nice to sit and listen to differnt types of music. As far as the gambling - I don't know how to play cards or bet on anything so I couldn't tell you honestly if they are fair but come on its gambling, they are not in the business of handing money over. so just GO HAVE FUN!!!!! and enjoy a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: I always ask if possible for a scenic view and generally our room is further away from the elevator...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Snellville
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I went on a bus trip to this hotel/casino and the weather was horrible but the Service and Friendliness of the staff was Wonderful! Never got to the pool and spent way to much time in the casino...lost a bunch but I am flying in for the 4th of July weekend because I had fun anyway and the friendliness of the staff made it OK. The rooms were comfortable and roomy and had a fridge and coffee maker. I felt very safe in all areas of the resort and it was easy to navigate the whole place. They have a shuttle to pick you up at the airport and this and the easy access of the elevators is a very good thing for some one traveling solo.The buffet was average but the salad bar in the grill was delicious and fresh! I will try the pool this time I hope!!! I could become a regular :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Cyndyga3
, Guest Relations Manager at Island View Casino Resort, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Thank you for your comments and compliments to the staff here at Island View Casino Resort; we work hard to ensure your experience is as pleasant as possible and enjoy hearing that we made your visit a memorable one.

We do look forward to your next visit and hopefully the weather will permit you to enjoy the pool, it is a beautiful addition to our resort and a wonderful place to relax with a cool drink or a light snack.
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I work out of Gulfport in the summer and Island View is close to home. I usually enjoy playing craps. Island View has taken all the fun out of a table game that should be fun. The dealers, "not all" are rude and condescending to the guest spending money. I have been yelled at many times for things I did not even do or other dealers would not care. The dealer actually cussed at me and said "what the hell". I have spent over three thousand dollars at this casino and get treated like they are doing me a favor. One night I asked for a food comp at the 24 hour resteraunt and the table boss told me, I think they are closed... Seriously, I had to beg for a comp after giving them 500 dollars at the crapa table. I had just watched a lady play for thirty minutes and ask for a meal comp and she had no problem getting it. If you are coming down to Gulfport take your money to Biloxi where you can be assured friendly staff and service.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Njanear
Please accept my apologies for the way you were treated during your recent visit to our casino. What you have described is not what we expect from our employees, and I regret the impression this has left on you as a customer.

Please be assured that I have shared your comments to our casino management team so proper steps can be taken to prevent this from occurring again.
Sunshine, Louisiana
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Disappointed in room prices and employees. All employees but one had attitude at players card desk and within the casino floor. Not only were they rude, they appeared annoyed to our asking a question. One from the players card services rudely heard my question and just turned and left. She came back by me and didn't even offer to assist. Then the persons handling the slot tournament were rude and complained rudely at us for entering the supposed area without being at the right entrance. There were roped off areas and one open area we walked through the open area and were rudely jumped on for entering the wrong way. One would think that this was the entrance as it is the front of the area and was not roped off. Maybe it should be closed off too and a host or other signage indicate the entrance. The girl announcing the rules could not be understood clearly and we had to ask her several times what she said and she really appeared annoyed. Then yelled at to raise our hands to record our play. Overall, this experience was disappointing. Resort could benefit training staff in courtesy towards guest. If we are going to visit your property and you take our money with little to no play action, atleast the staff could be pleasant. Our personal visit was very disappointing and don't know that we will be back when there are better options available.

Room Tip: try to find a discount. Room prices higher than many other casinos and not as much to do at this en...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank HabaneraHoney
Jeff T, Guest Relations Manager at Island View Casino Resort, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
Please be assured we realize the impression these encounters leave on our customers, and we regret when we fail to meet the expectation you have come to expect from us.

I have forwarded your correspondence to the appropriate managers for their review in an effort that proper steps are taken to prevent such infractions in customer service in the future.
Vacherie, Louisiana
Reviewed 23 May 2012

we always stay here when in gulfport. This casino hotel is a few miles away from the other casinos and are better in comps in our opinion. The customer service is always the best. I once had a mistake on my bill and they cleared it up right away, the accountant called me at my home to make sure it was cleared. Wow what excellant service. C&G grill is our favorite place to dine. The waiters are very classy. The rooms are clean. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: never had a problem with any of the rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank antna53
Thank you for complementing our staff during your recent visit to the Island View Casino. We work hard to provide our customers an exceptional experience and we truly appreciate you taking time out of your busy day to provide us with some open and honest feedback about our facility. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return.
Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

We love staying at Island View! The rooms are nice and spacious, and always very clean. The beds are so comfortable, and there is even a mini refrigerator in the room. The saltwater pool is nice and well kept. We come about once a month to this wonderful casino, the comps are the best on the gulf coast! Thank you, Island View!

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank FoodieLuv
Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 May 2012

THANK YOU-THANK YOU! Thank you, Island View for Making our birthday vacationS special! Six of us girls flew from Wilmington, N.C. to celebrate our birthday month recently! Rich Lyons, my casino host took care of our reservations and comps!He made the new girls feel very welcomed! The staff were fantastic and the band was great for dancing! We even took a tour to New Orleans.They picked us up at the IV and we spent the day shopping and picture taking! Thanks Miss DeJosne' and Shanea at the front desk.

All of us had a fab time staying up late and trying exotic drinks!The girls loved the bar-tenders and their jokes! We are already planning our next trip and bringing more gals! Two of us won big jackpots,one fell in love,one broke even; while two went away pouting! Thats the way it is! It's a casino folks! I can't help but to respond to the few unsavory reviews on here. I can assure you they are the very people who DO NOT know how to gamble with common sense! They play hard, lose it all and get pissed off; taking it out on everyone and thing around them! Some gotta win-- some gotta lose! We've all seen the sore losers in casinos before! Their rants and attitudes may end up on "You-Tube" some day!Everyone has a camera on their cell phones these days! lol.

Heck, I don't win all the time at the IV, but I still have a relaxing, fun-filled time! Grow up People!

The comment about poor staffing and big turnover is a big lie! Truth being if you're a jerk, I'd avoid getting you a beer also! I've seen the same great waitresses, bar tenders and staff there going on four years now!!I have never had a problem with the service! They keep "good" employee's at the IV. (Lee, Chad, Brian, Joey, Joel, Matt, Robbie, Stu, Rusty,Chris,James,Tasha, Val,Niny,Barbie,Rosie,Jennifer,Lindsey,Perla,Paul,....and the list goes on.

I do have one small complaint! The new pool area is not a babysitting-drop off area!! We watched three(3) women bring down seven (7) kids total to the pool area! One lady drank, slept, sunbathed as the kids ran around. After talking to her, we learned ten of them were piled into the same room. We were just happy they were three floors below us! (Suggestion) Vegas has a rule that each child must pin an ID card to their bathing suits. This card has a bar code which tells what room-parents name- etc on it. This protects everyone on many levels, enforces parental responsibility and is issued at check in!

I can't wait to get back to the IV and enjoy some crab legs, slot games, video poker,good music, play till the wee hours and sleep in! :- )

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulfport
Wingate by Wyndham Gulfport
Courtyard Gulfport Beachfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Gulfport
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Biloxi
Holiday Inn Express Long Beach
IP Casino Resort Spa - Biloxi

Been to Island View Casino Resort? Share your experiences!