“Good value, new, and clean”
Review of Sleep Inn & Suites

Sleep Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Gulfport
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Opened in April of this year and is clean, with a friendly staff, and a good breakfast included in the price. There is a train track behind the hotel so request a room facing the road. Location is good, with several restaurants across the street and a Sam's gas station on the other side of the tracks.. It's a few miles down to the beach, and some of the areas that way are less than desirable, so stay this side of the Interstate and you should have no trouble. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay away from train track side.
1  Thank John P
SIG10393, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey on you recent stay with us. We thank you for the great review and look forward to your return. Have a wonderful day.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Everything was new, the price is affordable and the breakfast sufficient -- it should serve as a model hotel; a level of quality that all other properties should strive to attain.

Cons: Internet was slow and/or not connecting on the top floor corner room. Front desk service is not as friendly as one would hope. The non-smoking property has a designated smoking area immediately at the front entrance door, which allows the smoke to come creeping in. My floor's hallway also had a slight smoke smell.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where the Internet works.
1  Thank honestrealreviews
SIG10393, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

As these problems where brought to me while you where at the hotel, I immediately addressed them, with the staff and called our internet provider to report the problems with the WiFI that you experienced. I thank you for taking the time to share so that I was able to correct the issues at that time. We all care about our guest and their opinions on how we can do a better job in the future for other guest. So again thank you. Have a great day

Reviewed 10 August 2014

From the moment I arrived, there were nothing but problems, problems, problems. The front desk staff had no idea how to process my check-in since I had booked through hotels.com; it took almost 15 minutes for the two of them to figure out not it had already been paid and to collect my info. I ended up in a room that was right next to the elevator; so all night and early the next morning, I had to deal with the sound of the elevator disturbing me.

Got to the room and it was a clean room, what I had expected for being a new hotel. The flat screen TV was kinda small so that was a bummer. The shower was walk-in(ish) but the door closest to the faucet/shower head could not be moved so you had to jump right in without being able to test the water temperature first. The beds were not all that comfortable to be a new hotel.

Breakfast the next morning was good except that the waffle batter dispensers were out of batter. When we asked about getting more, we were told there would be more but none ever came. Also, some of the yogurt in the refrigerator looked weird and grimy when we opened it.

As we were preparing to leave, we locked the door guard swing lock (the upper lock near the top of the door). As I go to put the do not disturb sign on the door, the swing lock would not open when I tried to move it out of the way. When we went to leave, I still could not get it open and we were effectively "stuck" in the room. After some pushing and pulling with the latch, we were finally able to get out. I called downstairs during the time we struggled with it but they really didn't seem to care.

I went to check out but the lady at the desk said "the computer is being slow" and she already had two people ahead of me waiting. She seemed just as clueless as the two girls helping me yesterday. I just gave her the keys and hoped for the best.

The location is good and the room was clean and stylish for a chain hotel but the staff were poorly trained and didn't seem to care. The problems with the room and breakfast make me feel like this place was rushed to be opened and some steps were skipped.

2  Thank pharmacyguyX
SIG10393, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey on your recent stay with us. I can only assume you had room 320 as it is next to the elevator, I just assigned that room to my boss to see how it was through the night, he experienced the noise issue as well and we are looking into getting a machine for that location to resolve the issue with the noise. As for the staff, they are trained and know to offer our guest great service, so anything less is not acceptable to me. I do have a new girl at the front desk that worked this past weekend, however her manager was also working to train her. As for my morning staff they have excellent customer service skills. I can understand your disappointment, after not getting a good nights sleep. Please reach out to me the next time you are in the area, I will personally see to your stay and make sure you have a great one. Thank you for letting me know how your stay was. Hope your day is a good one.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We found a great rate on Priceline, which made this an excellent value. Check in went smoothly and the front desk clerk was friendly and efficient. Our room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. The breakfast staff needs to improve their efficiency as they were having trouble keeping food/coffee/juice on the buffet, and we ate early - around 6:30 a.m. We had trouble finding the entrance to the hotel. You have to turn left at the light and then take a left just before the tracks (where it says "No left turn.") management says they are going to improve this. The location is good and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
SIG10393, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our property. It is appreciated. We are hoping it will be sooner rather than later when the road way is completed making our entrance easier. Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to your return visit. Have a wonderful day.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband, children, parents and friends stayed at this hotel in August, 2014. All of our rooms were perfect, no issues whatsoever. This is a very reasonably priced hotel, which is very surprising considering all that it offers. It is centrally located to the outlet mall, restaurants, the water park and the beach is a 5 minute drive. Definitely choose this place for your trip!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Kim G

Thank you, for such a rave review. I can't tell you how much it means to me and my staff to hear we have succeed in making your stay a wonderful one. That I have our property priced right for my guest to enjoy. I look forward to your next visit. Have a great day.

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We had two rooms, single King bed in each and we brought our dog. Rooms were nice and clean. Staff was very friendly. Breakfast was satisfying... cheeses omelettes, scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits, waffles, as well as the traditional continental type breakfast foods. And all for a very reasonable price. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Michelle B C
SIG10393, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Thank you for such a detailed and great review. We work hard to try and make all our guest happy,
It is nice to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again in the future. Have a great day.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I booked a room from Choice Hotels online site for this Sleep Inn. Our requests were met exactly when we checked in. We had a king room and it was very nice: spacious, clean, and comfortable. However, the website neglects to tell you there is a train track right behind the hotel. The train went by between 7-8 a.m. If you are already up no problem, but if you got in late and wanted to sleep in, not such a welcome thing. The rooms on the other side of the hall face the highway.

The in room booklet provided by this location clearly states breakfast is 6-10 a.m. I went down at 8:45 and their was just about NOTHING left. A delivery truck didn't come in. To her credit, a manager went to the local Sam's and got some yogurt, turkey bacon (ugh) and sausage patties. But there was no cereal, breads were almost gone, no fruit, no batter for waffles. Just nothing. She apologized and said they would keep the breakfast open longer. But it was supposed to be open till 10 anyway, so why the lack of food? The breakfast server did bring out more eggs and breads about 9:30. If breakfast is not supposed to last that long, then change your in-room info! Also, you had to wade through a lot of hotel workers to get to what little food there was.

Normally, I would have cut them some slack on this BUT the same thing happened 3 days before at the Sleep Inn in VanBuren, Ark. No delivery truck. So I have to think that it is a logistical, system problem of Choice hotels and that is not good.

I agree with other posts, there is only one entrance to the hotel and it is BEFORE the hotel otherwise you have to got further on the highway and turn back around. Turn at the street BEFORE the hotel.

For sleep, I would stay again here. But if I wanted breakfast, I would think again.

Room Tip: Rooms on one side of hotel have train tracks right behind the parking lot. Very close
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vicky H
SIG10393, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

I am very sorry you encountered the problem with breakfast. I have bought a new freezer as well as a new microwave and warmer, to ensure this kind of thing never happens again. I have personally been working in the breakfast area myself to keep a close eye on things. As for the breakfast hours we do have our foods out at 6 am and will keep the area open until 10 am if the demand is there for it, which is why it is in our guest directories in the rooms. Unfortunately the truck came very late that day, not a normal occurrence at all. However the steps I have taken will ensure that it will not affect our guest, should it happen again. Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey regarding your stay. I hope you have a great day.