“A Great Value”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Old Athens Grill
Cuisines: American
Description: wonderful dining destination in hattiesburg, brought to you by Ain't life grand investments, the owners of mugshots grill & Bar! wonderful menu, MSU students and families love this place! beautiful bar! outdoor patio with live music!
Reviewed 13 October 2012

The Old Athens Grill, one of my regular hangouts, is undergoing a name change. First-time guests might be confused. The outside sign clearly says “Old Athens Grill,” its original name. Inside, the menu and signs show the current name to be “Glory Bound Gyro Company.”

The restaurant is basically the same as it has been since it opened. It has the same ownership, employees, and basically the same menu (but with some changes).
I’m told that the name change is tied in with plans for franchising.

I visit Old Athens/Glory Bound about once a month. Its casual atmosphere suits my needs perfectly. I’m comfortable dining alone or with a companion. I look forward to visiting this niche restaurant, especially on a hot summer’s day, when a gyro, salad, and cold beer sounds like an ideal combination.

Management describes the restaurant as a “funky, fun place” run by two Southern boys who offer food they describe as “Southern twist on Greek standards.” It is not a genuine Greek restaurant per se.

The restaurant offers value for the money. Definitely a generous amount of food for the price. Authentic Greek or not, the food keeps bringing me back.

On my most recent visit I dined alone and at the bar. I tend to gravitate toward a limited number of menu items when I am in specialty restaurants like this one. I go for gyros, salads, and cold beer. I had the “traditional gyro” (beef and lamb with tzatziki ). I also had a very good Greek salad as a side order and my draft beer in a frosted mug.

Glory Bound offers about two dozen varieties of gyros. Obviously most are local creations. I’ve only had the “original” and have not tried the many variations.

On my most recent visit, I happened to arrive on a Tuesday night and was able to get the gyro for the special $5.00 price. The side salad was an additional $1.50. Total cost for my three items was less than $10.00, including tax. The side salad add-on is an incredible deal. The Greek side salad is much larger—and better—than most “large” salads at other restaurants. (The regular “entrée” salads—for those choosing an even larger salad as their meal—come in very large servings (bucket-sized) and usually require a “to go” box).

Reviewed 12 October 2012

They took the gyro, turned it on its head, and offer it to you in an ambience of awful music pumping over the sound system.

Ugh. If you want good Mediterranean food, try Petra or Aladdin instead. (Petra's within walking distance, which makes it better.)

Reviewed 26 August 2012

We came into Hattiesburg on a Tuesday, so I persuaded my non-adventurous friend to try a gyro for the first time, for the $5 special. She LOVED it, so much so, that she insisted that we come back again for a second visit.

Our GPS had a hard time finding it, but it was worth the scanning. The restaurant has the hip college feel about it, and although we're both well past our college days, we appreciated the energy.

Great place, great food, good service, and reasonable prices - a winner!

Reviewed 18 August 2012

This restaurant was under renovation when we visited so the atmosphere was not great but the food was really good, served quickly and at a good price.

Reviewed 18 July 2012

We went on Tuesday-$5 Gyros day. We were in for a treat! The Philly and buffalo chicken gyros are awesome! The Baklava really was an authentic Greek dessert.