“The atmosphere is absolutely horrendous!”
Review of Old Athens Grill - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Old Athens Grill
Cuisines: American
Description: wonderful dining destination in hattiesburg, brought to you by Ain't life grand investments, the owners of mugshots grill & Bar! wonderful menu, MSU students and families love this place! beautiful bar! outdoor patio with live music!
Reviewed 14 May 2014

When this place first opened, it was great - very neat atmosphere steeped in local history. But it's no longer Old Athen's, but is now Glory Bound Gyro Co., and it is very plastic and very loud and the food isn't nearly as good. The menu is different every single time I go, which isn't often anymore. I can't take the umpteen tv's at high volume in one little room. The only reason I continue to go at all is that the few menu items that have lived through all the changes remain very good. But frankly, it's lost all it's original charm and too many good menu items, and is no longer what I consider a Hattiesburg place. It now seems to appeal to the over-made-up, vacuous plastic barbie clones with straightened, high-lighted hair and their crowd from Oak Grove. In the future, I will only get their food to go.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I ordered a dish with chicken and it was not "real" chicken. It reminded a fast food place where the meat is not real meat. Also the specialty drink was watery. The patio is great though....Just order steak or a vegetarian dish and beer.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

I have eaten here twice since they renamed this restaurant to Old Glory Gyro Company and been very disappointed! The food is so salty, from appetizers to dinners to sandwiches. Even the tzadziki sauce was unedible.

Reviewed 13 October 2012

The Old Athens Grill, one of my regular hangouts, is undergoing a name change. First-time guests might be confused. The outside sign clearly says “Old Athens Grill,” its original name. Inside, the menu and signs show the current name to be “Glory Bound Gyro Company.”

The restaurant is basically the same as it has been since it opened. It has the same ownership, employees, and basically the same menu (but with some changes).
I’m told that the name change is tied in with plans for franchising.

I visit Old Athens/Glory Bound about once a month. Its casual atmosphere suits my needs perfectly. I’m comfortable dining alone or with a companion. I look forward to visiting this niche restaurant, especially on a hot summer’s day, when a gyro, salad, and cold beer sounds like an ideal combination.

Management describes the restaurant as a “funky, fun place” run by two Southern boys who offer food they describe as “Southern twist on Greek standards.” It is not a genuine Greek restaurant per se.

The restaurant offers value for the money. Definitely a generous amount of food for the price. Authentic Greek or not, the food keeps bringing me back.

On my most recent visit I dined alone and at the bar. I tend to gravitate toward a limited number of menu items when I am in specialty restaurants like this one. I go for gyros, salads, and cold beer. I had the “traditional gyro” (beef and lamb with tzatziki ). I also had a very good Greek salad as a side order and my draft beer in a frosted mug.

Glory Bound offers about two dozen varieties of gyros. Obviously most are local creations. I’ve only had the “original” and have not tried the many variations.

On my most recent visit, I happened to arrive on a Tuesday night and was able to get the gyro for the special $5.00 price. The side salad was an additional $1.50. Total cost for my three items was less than $10.00, including tax. The side salad add-on is an incredible deal. The Greek side salad is much larger—and better—than most “large” salads at other restaurants. (The regular “entrée” salads—for those choosing an even larger salad as their meal—come in very large servings (bucket-sized) and usually require a “to go” box).

Reviewed 12 October 2012

They took the gyro, turned it on its head, and offer it to you in an ambience of awful music pumping over the sound system.

Ugh. If you want good Mediterranean food, try Petra or Aladdin instead. (Petra's within walking distance, which makes it better.)