“DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE OUTSIDE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mama Alma's Kitchen - CLOSED

Mama Alma's Kitchen
Cuisines: Mexican, South American, Central American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Description: You can find it on Urban Spoon
United States
“DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE OUTSIDE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Run, do not walk, to this restaurant. The food here is some of the best Mexican food we've had anywhere, and believe me, after traveling around the world and living in California, Arizona, Texas, Utah, Washington, Maryland, New York, Missouri, and Mississippi, I can call it when I taste it. Phenomenal. Don't get your knickers in a bunch about the outside; yes, it used to be a gas station, yes, the decor is old, but who cares? It's clean, has fantastic food, and wonderful owners. I had the spinach and mushroom enchiladas which were heavenly and can't wait to go back. Such a delight to find such fantastic food not that far away from Meridian...totally worth the trip.

• Visited May 2014

“OMG!!!! Soooo Good!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I lived in Texas 25 years and this is as good as I've ever had! Authentic Mexican food and large servings of it. We felt like one of the family and really enjoyed the food and the experience. It was very busy and everyone was having a great time. The prices seem a little high but when you see the amount of food, you realize it is well worth it. And this is not low quality food either! There were three of us and we brought home enough leftovers for three more meals! We had a sampling of a lot of different things. Lengua tacos - authentic with onions and cilantro. Chicken fajita nachos with lots of toppings like guacamole, jalapeños, etc. Steak fajitas with grilled onions and green peppers and a whole plate of toppings like guacamole, sour cream, rice, beans, etc. Don't pay any mind to the outside. It isn't fancy but with food like this, who cares!!!??? We asked and they do have fresh cactus and menudo also which sound weird but we learned to love them. We are trying them next time. The only negative thing I have to say is that I have had better flan but the other desserts we tried were great. We will see you there! Oh, and the chips and hot sauce are also delicious!!!!!!!

Visited May 2014
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
“Ignore the Decor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I've eaten here twice, once at lunch, once at dinner. As everyone notes, it's an old gas station in a rundown area and all the Mexican tchotchkes scattered about don't really disguise that. Hopefully, you're not here for the decor. If you're here to get smashed on margaritas with a little food to soak up the alcohol, you're also out of luck.

However, if you want pretty good-to-excellent Mexican food (depending on what you order), large servings, and friendly service at good prices, chances are you'll want to add this one to your local restaurant rotation.

I have to admit, I much preferred my lunch -- delicious and filling fish tacos. Fresh fried fish with lots of garden fresh toppings on flour tortillas. Big enough four two to share. This was a lunch special and not on the menu every day, but if they have it, I recommend it. There are always several daily specials, and I think this is probably the way to go.

At dinner, I ordered a beef burrito off the menu and was a little disappointed. Again, it was huge and full of good, fresh stuff, but the cook WAY oversalted the beef filling (and I like salt) -- so much so that I wondered if the top of the salt shaker may have come off by accident. A shame, because underneath it I could taste that the sauce had some smoky, complex flavors , but the saltiness ruined it. Hopefully, that was just a fluke.

The tortilla chips and salsa they bring to the table are great -- chips are thin and crispy, salsa has just enough bite. They did not have beer the night I ate there, but I gather they usually have it.

It's a family run business, and everyone is friendly and helpful. The place was pretty empty both times . Too bad, because they're really one of the better Mexican places in the area.

• Visited March 2014
Jackson, Mississippi
“Best Mexican food in Mississippi.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Don't be put off by the exterior. Everything is made from scratch and delicious. Paella had a smokey flavor and full of chicken, sausage and shrimp. pork chop with pineapple had a delicious red sauce and was served with a cheese enchilada, rice and homemade beans. for dessert we split a large slice of chocolate bacon cake with a champagne gelatin filling. moist and delicious. Service was very good and the owner who is from Guadalajara even came out and visited with us for awhile. We will be back.

• Visited May 2014
Gulfport, Mississippi
“"oh my word..."”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Our Apple GPS was off by a mile but a bit more driving was worth the effort. "Oh my word...," is what will come out of your mouth when you drive up and you will be tempted to pass Mama Alma's by. Don't be fooled by the neighborhood or the look of the building; the treasure inside is worth exploring.
The waitress said, "everybody makes Mexican, try our specials." Our order was simple, "surprise us with two specials." I got an incredible chicken based soup, my wife, a very special burrito.
The food was really, really good. The service was personal.
This is a jewel of a restaurant!! Don't miss it.

1 Thank jrmmcejm2