“Camp Shelby Armed Forces Museum is Excellent and now accessible by the public.”

Mississippi Armed Forces Museum
Ranked #2 of 24 things to do in Hattiesburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We are temporarily closed until 2016 due to construction for our expansion project. Please continue to check our Facebook account and website for updates.
Reviewed 4 May 2014

At Thanksgiving I drove up to Camp Shelby with my Dad, a WWII Army veteran who had trained there with his division before shipping overseas. We were really impressed with the Armed Forces Museum and it's staff. The displays were first rate and comprehensive and they have A LOT of military equipment on display outside. Armor, artillery, trucks and a 57mm anti tank gun like my Dad crewed in the war. Camp Shelby was a major training center during WWII and continued that role till this past year when the deployments to Iraq & Afghanistan wound down. Apparently, it currently has a much reduced mission. The positive for the general public is that the gates are no longer manned and you don't need a military ID to enter the installation and visit this most excellent museum. Always has been worth a visit - now it's easily accessible.

1  Thank BPinMEFL
in 5 reviews
"military equipment"
"national guard"
in 4 reviews
"interested in military history"
in 3 reviews
in 12 reviews
"mississippi"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We have been to many military museums along the east coat. The Armed Forces Museum at Camp Shelby was one of the best we have seen. The displays ranged from the civil war through to the current war in Afghanistan. Each conflict was covered with historical stories and artifacts in a thorough and objective manner. As a veteran myself, I was honored with the comprehensiveness of the displays. Outside were helicopters, tanks, howitzers, and carriers. Equipment (both inside and outside) were not only from American forces but also Japan, Germany, Korea, Russia, and Iraq.

4  Thank Melodycthomas
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I was recently aboard Camp Shelby on business and wrapped-up early so I visited the museum; very wise decision! This is a very nice, well-maintained museum and reflects a great deal of attention to detail by the museum staff. First of all, the museum is aboard a military installation...you must enter the base via the South Gate and show a photo ID, Driver's license and proof of insurance. The museum is not difficult to find...from the south gate: continue on Lee Ave W for .7 miles...turn right on 6th St...continue for .2 miles...turn left on Forrest Ave...continue for .2 miles...museum is on the left. The museum personnel are very friendly; I spent about an hour speaking with the curator. There are display cases primarily containing U.S and belligerent weapons from: Spanish American War; Civil War; Mexican War; WW I; WW II; Korean War; Vietnam. There are also displays containing uniforms from each of the wars mentioned above. There are several larger displays (which I refer to as complex displays) that include panoramic backdrops and props, vehicles, crew-served weapons, "period correct" uniforms and small arms. These "complex displays" show: WW I trench life; WW II - North Africa; WW II - Bastogne; WW II training camp life; WW II - Iwo Jima fighting position; Korean War fighting position. There is also a hall of Mississippi Medal of Honor recipients and a very nice scale model (approximately 8 feet long) of the Battleship Mississippi. There are a few displays of more recent wars and operations (Desert Storm, Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan). There are also a few displays that contain donations from a museum benefactor that contain very nice examples of weapons (circa 1800-1900). Outside, there are approximately 25 U.S. and Soviet tracked vehicles and aircraft; these displays are in the open and somewhat weathered but nonetheless well-maintained and in good condition. There is a gift shop inside the museum. It took me about 2.5 hours to make my way through the museum (inside and outside) and I read approximately 85% of the information placards. This museum is due to be expanded (some portions may not be accessible during the upgrade) in 2014...so I would recommend to call prior to your visit.

4  Thank raj0302
Reviewed 2 August 2013

It is not the D Day Museum in New Orleans, but it is certainly 2nd best ... and it right here in the Hattiesburg area, right on Camp Shelby, the largest National Guard Training Base in the United States. The Armed Forces Museum OUTSTANDING ... a great learning experience and very, very well done. I Strongly Recommend!