“Lumpy uncomfortable old beds, old linen and towels.”
Review of Motel 6 Memphis

Motel 6 Memphis
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Horn Lake
Reviewed 21 April 2011

The beds were very old and uncomfortable and the mattress were coming apart at the seams (literally because I checked). The linen was also very old and worn and the towels were small and very thin. We have stayed at other Motel 6 over our 8 week trip in the USA and have found the others quite good. This one was supposed to have been "refreshed" in the last 5 years, maybe the outside but NOT inside. All of the internal areas of the motel were very worn and not "refreshed".

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank wearytraveller90210

Reviewed 11 March 2011

Dirty sheets and bed linen , half empty cups of coffee still littering the room and unfriendly staff , better value elsewhere

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2010

A friend and our 2 nine year olds stayed here one night for the Justin Beiber concert in Memphis. There was a total of 4 of us in a room with 2 beds. There was only 2 towels in the room, so I went down stairs to ask for 2 more towels and was told there was no towels but if I wanted to gather up our towels and bring them down there they could be washed. Not very helpful or pleasant. The carpet in our room was stained and nasty, the hallways and elevators reaked of stale cigarette smoke and the whole place just felt nasty. I know you get what you pay for, but I at least expect cleanliness, courtesy, and a towel for each of us. We will not be staying here again, so no need to leave the light on for us!!!!

Teresa Parsons

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank teresapars
Reviewed 9 July 2010

We have stayed in alot of the motel 6 chain and found them very good. This one is quiet and clean in an excellent location, For visits Graceland, sun studios and lorraine motel(M L King). Free WIFI and helpful staff, good restraunts nearby.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2009

My partner and I stayed Monday - Friday along with two very small dogs to make funeral arrangements for my partner's mother in Horn Lake.

This travel wasn't planned so arranging for doggie care wasn't possible. To their credit Motel 6 is a pet friendly hotel and the primary reason we chose this property.

I called the hotel directly on Monday afternoon. The clerk who took my reservation did a top notch job, and later the checking in process was equally smooth and I used my Bank of America Mastercard for the charges.

The building looked fairly recent and well maintained . Property high points were the landscaping and outdoor pool area. Curb appeal is inviting. Room 321 was assigned. I was happy to see it was near the rear stairway which was handy when going out for "walks" with our four legged companions.

Room 321 looked like a typical Motel 6 room. Functional, a couple of chairs for sitting, microwave and refrigerator. The bath had one of those oddly shaped shower units..triangular and easy enough to shower in. The shower head was not typical...it output streams of water. That was a pleasant surprise. The bathroom was clean, a smell of a strong chemical cleaner lingered.

The condition of the mattress was not bad. The pillows had apparently made many trips through the washing machine and were very misshapen and worn out. A trip to the front desk netted me two more pillows, which were in the same condition as the first. The bedspread also had seen the inside of the washer a few times and there were several large cigarette burn holes in the linning. A trip to the nearby Wal Mart the next day brought two pillows to see us through the rest of our stay.

The first night started out well. Plenty of cool air to combat the high humidity and frequent storms that occured constantly that week. At about 3 A.M. we were awakened to the periodic beeping that was unmistakably a smoke alarm. I arose turned on the light and sure enough the electrically powered smoke detector also had a battery. The room was cold when I got up to silence the detector and take it's battery out. 4:30 A.M. came and the room next door was awakening to the sound of a clock radio. 15 minutes or so later the radio was silenced but it was easy to hear their progress in getting ready, as the walls seem paper thin. We got up for the day at 7 A.M. and the room was colder than cold. I raised the thermostat to 80. We showered and went to the lobby for coffee. I told the desk clerk about the smoke detector. She said she'd have it fixed.

Upon arrival Tuesday afternoon the smoke detector and it's removed battery still lay on the desk. There were no towels, but I spotted a maid down the hall who said she would bring towels just as soon as she got some. The towels, by the way, were always "pool towels"... Always and without exception pool towels! The temperature in the room got colder and colder unless you turned the unit "off. I reported the overly efficient air conditioning to the front desk Tuesday evening.

The week wore on I extended the stay through Friday night and again my trusty Mastercard was used to prepay the room. Here's the kicker though...when the funeral day came on Friday I traveled down to the lobby for coffee and to pick up an ironing board. We didn't need and iron, just the board. This is when the story gets bizarre. The desk clerk, who said she was new, asked the man behind the wall and he said o.k. with a $10 deposit. I repeated that I only wanted to borrow an ironing board, not the iron and that I had stayed in room 321 all week and the hotel had my credit card information. She again consulted the man behind the wall came out and explained there was a $10 deposit, even for the ironing board, and it must be in cash. In total disbelief I said loudly in the direction of the open door that the manager was wanted at the desk. The man appeared and I restated what I wanted, only an ironing board for a few minutes to prepare clothes for a funeral. I told him I had stayed in the hotel all week, had paid rack rate and used a Mastercard for the bill. He stubbornly refused and said cash deposits were "hotel policy" and added further insult when he said "If you steal the ironing board what could I do". I flatly refused, and offended at the idea that I might be plotting to steal an ironing board!

It shouldn't take a terribly bright manager to know if the guest had an iron and no board that the furniture would soon be pressed into service. It was, see the pictures.

I was happy to leave that Motel 6 at the end of the week and here is the rest of the rundown. The manager looks to fill the hotel with work crews. The parking lot was full of tree trimming trucks and dozens of workers milled around inside and used the small lobby.

Linens were stained and worn. At the very minimum I would say the laundry doesn't practice presoaking extremely soiled towels and whatever destaining process being used in the washer has not been effective.

The room was not well maintained. The four bulb light fixture in the bathroom had one burning bulb, the carpeting was dirty and tattered. The thermostat cooled...always. Unless the switch was turned to "off". Setting it on "heat" didn't help, then nothing happened. The microwave had permanent stains and blocked the only outlets for the desk. The "stop" on the window had long since been torn out. The window frame was damaged. Oh yes, I almost forgot..during the entire stay no one repaired the smoke detector and it was still on the desk top when we left Saturday A.M. Check out the pictures, and then stay someplace else!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mpowell
Reviewed 17 December 2008

I stayed in this motel for 7 weeks and you get what you pay for.
No breakfast but clean rooms, free high speed internet and a comfortable place to rest.
Friendly people and a central location.
I had no problems and would go there again.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank The-M0M0
Reviewed 18 July 2008

This place is a must stay for the economic traveler. It has an outdoor swimming pool that is decently sized "good luck getting some alone time in it though, kids dominate the darn thing" and a computer in the lobby from which I'm writing this right now. The rooms are clean and comfortable and have a sense of peace about them. My only complaints would be the housekeeping staff's attitude when you are walking in the halls during their work hours and during the quiet non-busy hours the front desk staff sit in the lobby and watch over you like big brother while you are on the computer "they have a bunch of rules in place for it unlike when I first stayed here exactly one year ago". Other good ammenites include micro-fridges in the rooms, an offbeat but shapley bathroom, and new pillow top mattresses that you just sink right into. I would have to say though that it's rare that a Motel 6 would be this good as Iv'e had many weird and unmentionable situations happen at other locations "lets just say a creep factor was involved". If you have more money on you there is even an apartment room for five-hundred a week "no joke, that could be a months rent for me!" Other than that this place is great for the middle to lower-middle class who don't have buku bucks for hotel accomedations. Peace and stay here if you please! :)

P.S. The rooms have full cable and some rooms have newer LCD TVs!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horn Lake
Comfort Suites
#7 of 17 in Southaven
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Southaven Central - Memphis
Candlewood Suites Memphis - Southaven

Been to Motel 6 Memphis? Share your experiences!