“Nice old zoo”

The Jackson Zoo
Ranked #13 of 55 things to do in Jackson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Enjoy a day of fun for the entire family at this zoo that houses large cats, monkeys and more than 250 other types of animals, including a contact yard for barn animals. Kids can take a ride on a real carousel, the whole family can enjoy miniature train, plus gift shop, and concessions.
Reviewed 3 September 2014 via mobile

The zoo here in Jackson is not as big or as nice as some of the zoos in the bigger cities nearby. This zoo is not in a great part of town and people just don't support it like they would if it were in another location but there is nothing the management can do about that. But the animals here are abundant and healthy and their environments are steadily getting better! There are animals here that most people will only see in a zoo. One of my favorites are the ground hogs in the children's section. They are so cute you just want to take one home with you. I enjoy spending the day at the zoo in a different element of life on earth! Take a trip to the zoo and get away to another part of the world where giraffes roam or see a giant rhino up close and stand only a few feet away from dangerous wild animals!

zoolady3, Public Relations Manager at The Jackson Zoo, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2014

Thanks so much for your feedback! We hope you visit with us again soon!

Reviewed 2 September 2014

We bought a membership before actually walking through the zoo and we regretted it. I will say that our 3 boys loved it and were not a bit put-out by numerous empty exhibits and pathetic "habitats." I don't consider myself an animal activist but these cages and habitats were way too small for these animals. There is a splash pad at the front of the zoo which looks really fun, though we haven't actually tried it out. The zoo itself is small and can be walked through in a couple hours even with little ones...our boys are 7, 5, and 2. The variety of large animals is severely lacking. One redeeming quality about our membership is that it gets us a 50% off rate at other zoos/aquariums around the country, which came in handy when we went on summer vacation.

We are sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your previous membership. We are making a lot of new changes around the zoo, and we hope that you will visit again to see our progress. We are aiming every day to zoo it better! Thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I took my 2 year old to the zoo while my wife was at the spa. Most of the exhibits were empty. The zoo was very dirty and poorly kept. It was not a pleasant experience at all.

1  Thank bullitt2341

During the warmer months some of the animals like to hide out in the shade or in their water pools to cool off, which makes it harder to spot them. We encourage you to visit again, and hopefully the animals will be more active and easier to spot. Thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

You forget your in the middle of Jackson. This place has so much history. I buy a memory's hip every year for me and my boys. We can make our rounds in 2 hours. It is smaller than most zoos. If you want to see something big than this isn't for you. But for locals it's a great way to educate or an afternoon stroll through nature. The staff is nice and really care for the animals. They have special events you can access through membership. Like a Easter egg hunt. There is also a train and a carousel. The children's area needs some work. We will continue to go.

1  Thank Kclimbaugh

Thanks so much for your feedback. Glad you enjoy our zoo and the uniqueness we have to offer. You made some really great points, and we hope that you continue to visit.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have bad back and knee problems so I was unable to go because they have no scooters. I can't walk very far and was hoping to use a scooter to get around but they don't have them. It is also located in a VERY BAD part of Jackson!

While we do not have motorized scooters, we do offer wheelchair rentals and handicap accommodations for our carousel and train rides.

Been to The Jackson Zoo? Share your experiences!