“Local Surprise”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Truly an exceptional restaurant, the old saying 'you cannot judge a book by its cover' applies here. Located in an older section of Jackson the menu is varied and interesting. Suggest reservations (restaurant is small with a annex which is also small). Ate there twice, after an outstanding lunch, made reservations for dinner the next night. The fish selection is great and all prepared to perfection - will go back as often as our schedule allows.

1  Thank joseph j

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I lived in Jackson for a year and never heard of this gem. So on my last visit, my friend took me to Walker's and I was really impressed! I loved that it's a diner during the day and a five-star restaurant at night. We got lucky and got a table without a reservation (we were also there really early).
The service was alright, a little hurried toward the end of our dinner as they wanted to seat the people who were waiting.
I loved the calamari we ordered, but the risotto was not the best I've had.
Definitely a good choice for a fancy celebratory meal.

1  Thank Fatmahal
Reviewed 29 December 2013

My wife and I made our first-ever trip to Jackson and chose Walker's because of Trip Advisor. We weren't disappointed. The restaurant was crowded on a recent Monday night and we had no res, so we were lucky that they were able to seat us right away. Our server was pleasant and helpful, and seemed to enjoy working there. I had the Redfish Anna and my wife the Veal & Lobster Kathy; both great choices with elegant sauces. We split the BBQ Oysters, a small but tasty portion. We also had the Walker's Salad; even a half-portion was large and it was very good. No dessert and an inexpensive bottle of red wine and the total bill was $103 before tip. Very reasonable for a fine-dining experience. Don't expect a lot of elbow room, as it is a tiny place. But we'd definitely return!

2  Thank wbru83
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My husband booked this restaurant after reading the reviews on trip advisor and it turned out to be one of the best meals we ate on our honeymoon. From the outside exterior, you do not expect the elegant fine dining that is offered inside. We had filet steak, with cheesy mash, asparagus tips and red wine jus and it was delicious. The service was great, very helpful and not condesending at all. As we were on honeymoon they even offered us a free dessert but given the amount of food we had already consumed we declined and finished off the wine instead. Great atmosphere and an open kitchen so you can watch the chefs work their magic. The food itself is more expensive than some of the other restaurants we ate at but it was worth it for a special occasion. Very impressed and really glad we made the stop on our way from Memphis to New Orleans.

1  Thank Gemski23
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Second time at Walker's. It was better than last time. We had 2 others couples with us and were treated like KING'S & QUEEN'S by staff. The food was well above average. I would highly recommend!!!!!

1  Thank BSCC11