“Beautiful Hotel - Lousy Service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown

Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Jackson
Tennessee
“Beautiful Hotel - Lousy Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2010

The multi million $ renovation was definitely worth the price. Hotel is beautiful. Wish they could have spent a bit of that money teaching the staff how to deal with customers. Arrived and checked in to a room with a severely buzzing AC unit. The maintenance man came around and they moved us to another room. Nice room, but when I went for ice, the machine was torn apart. Went to another floor and there was a sign "due to water emergency and boil order, ice machines are not working". No indication of this on check-in, and no water in rooms. This is after I drank tap water in room. Went to front desk and was directed to restaurant for ice. The girl there seemed to not want to assist, but got a bucket of ice. Asked at desk for bottled water, but no one ever showed up with it.

Valet parking ($14/day) is the only offered parking. Luckily there are meters across the street.

Next day we were scrambling around to get checked out by the posted 11 am time. On the way downstairs, I noticed the checkout time stated on the back of the keycard folder was 12 noon. I asked the desk lady which was correct. Her answer "I'm not sure".

As I said, nice hotel, but lousy staff and service. Also - no restaurants open on Sunday in downtown Jackson. Had to go to a nearby city for dinner. The desk staff couldn't recommend a restaurant except their own or Domino's pizza.

I'd go again if they could straighten out their people and communicate to guests.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
SByers, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this review, 12 July 2010
TennesseeTraveler123,

Thank you for posting the review of your recent stay with us. I apologize that the service that you experienced did not meet your expectations. Your comments will be shared with the team so that we may continue to improve upon the level of service that we provide all of our guests. I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to show you that we are capable of providing a level of service that matches the beauty of the hotel. Please contact me if I can be of further assistance

Sean Byers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2010

I arrived late at night, tired and weary from a four hour drive. The valet came right to my car and assisted me with my luggage. The front desk clerk Mark Clark was amazing at helping to get best room that met my requests (top floor is great for great view of old downtown) and was extremely courteous. The next morning my tire was completely flat and I was in a big hurry to get to work. Erik the valet, Antonio the bellman, and Kenny the engineer swooped right in like a race car pit crew and aired my tire up before I could even call work and tell them I was going to be late. These guys were amazing and I hope that anyone who stays at this hotel has the opporotunity to meet these guys. Thank you to Paul and Mark as well for making sure the remainder of my stay was as pleasant as possible. I have stayed at many establishments in my life including all inclusive resorts, and the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Jackson is by far the greatest hotel experience I have ever had!!! Don't miss this one.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wes S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this review, 11 July 2015
Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your business and would be honored for you to stay with us in the future. Wes Scrape - General Manager
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

I attended and stayed here for a family Wedding/ reception. I have been to Jackson ,Miss. several times before and always stayed at the Hilton on County Line road. The County Line road Hilton was always an average Airport style Hotel nothing special. I never knew about the Hilton downtown but wasn`t expecting much better.
The King Edward in downtown Jackson is beautiful! It reminded me of a restored "antique automobile from the 1920`s" . A classy Hotel for Jackson was my thoughts in staying here, The old fashioned bar was a great place to hang out with friends and share in a conversation. Service and food were good throughout our stay, rooms were new smelling and the beds were firm.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
tripletail33,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that you were happy with your stay and look forward to serving you again during your next trip to Jackson.
Beaufort, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

We spent two nights in the newly renovated hotel. The renovation is beautifully done except for the carpet in all the halls and downstairs that looks like it came out of the old Las Vegas Hilton back in the seventies. We were informed by the desk clerk when we checked in, that we should valet park because of the area (your only other option is to park on the street) and valet parking is $14 a day, plus tips. The valet parked our car and brought our broken remote keys to our room asking if they had been broken before. When we told him, "No", he told us they fell apart in his hand when taking the key out of the ignition. There was a part missing so I went to the garage assuming it was inside the car. It wasn't. We got no apology and we have yet to find it and the keys are now unusable. $120.

The room was nice and comfortable but the maid service didn't replenish towels or the empty box of Kleenex the next day.

The next morning we went downstairs for the "cook to order" buffet 45 minutes before they were suppose to close it down but they were already taking things off the buffet line. Our very friendly waitress poured us a cup of coffee and told us to go to the window and order. She would bring our plates to us when they were ready. We never saw her again until she brought the $38 check. Our breakfast consisted of well overdone eggs, undercooked bacon and corn beef hash straight out of the can.

For the most part, I considered the entire staff to be downright rude. There were a couple of exceptions but the rest acted like they didn't want to be bothered. They won't be again by us. We won't stay here again or recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
SByers, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this review, 3 June 2010
Thank you for your review. I am dissapointed that your stay with us did not meet your expectations.

Your comments are very important to us and help us to constantly improve upon our service. I sent an email directly to you so that I can learn more about the issues you experienced, and I hope that you'll choose to stay with us again on a future trip so that we may show you that we are capable of providing the type of experience you expect.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2010

I typically travel 3-4 times a month for business purposes. I arrived at the Hilton Garden Inn at about 2PM and was very hungry.

There were three employees there with no other guests around as I checked in at the front desk. I asked if room service was available and was told there wasn't any room service until after 5 when the restaurant opened. I asked what do most guests do for a meal when the restaurant was closed and the person attending to me told me they typically have to drive to find the nearest restaurant. One of the others behind the desk suggested I buy something from their pantry, which contained snacks and microwave food.

Since I didn't have a rental car and didn't want any of the pantry snacks, I asked if they could get a cab for me and they told me I should stand outside and wait for one to drop a passenger off. I hesitated to respond because I thought he was joking, but his demeanor remained serious. I didn't think it would be too much for them to call a cab for a guest like most hotels do. It was May 6 and 93 degrees outside. The last thing I wanted to do was stand in the heat waiting for a cab.

Frustrated with the staff and still famished, I asked if they sold cigarettes. Although I don't smoke frequently, I figured I'd have some sort of oral satisfaction to tie me over (in my smoking room) until their restaurant opened at 5. They told me there was nowhere close to purchase cigarettes and I'd need a vehicle to get some.

I went to my room, dropped off my bags and went downstairs/outside to seek a smoker and ask for a cigarette. The bellhops outside were extremely cordial and asked me if I needed anything. I asked about food and cigarettes. Much to my surprise, they offered me their own cigarettes (but I declined because of the brands), recommended THREE places within walking distance to buy them, AND suggested FOUR different places WITHIN THREE BLOCKS to get food. How can the front desk not be as informative, cordial, and accomodating as those 4 young gentlemen were?

I found a nice seafood/southern restaurant on a corner 2 blocks down, ordered takeout, walked a TWO blocks to the Amtrak station for cigarettes, and then returned to pick up my food to eat in my room. Upon entering the hotel, I asked the front desk staff (all three were still there) why they couldn't have told me the information that the bellhops did and they merely congratulated me for finding food.

There was no room service for breakfast.

When I checked out the next morning, an unfamiliar face behind the desk asked me how my stay was. I told her I didn't like it and wouldn't return. She asked me why and I told her while another female who was behind the desk the previous day listened and shook her head in dismay. I reminded her she was there and didn't try to help in any way at the time. Suddenly, she had to go to the rear office for something with no reply to my statement.

If/when I go to Jackson again, I will definitely not stay at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown. Even if I have to pay more.

Aesthetically, the hotel was very clean and my room was comfortable. The area is obviously going through a major rebuilding phase and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone looking to take scenic walks. My bed was excellent.

My displeasure with the front desk was compounded even more after I left. My business contact asked me if I attended the Blues Festival that took place the previous night at the train station. I recalled asking the front desk if there was anything to do in the area the night before and they told me nothing was going on in.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank itimoteus
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I am very disappointed to hear about your negative experience. The issues you experienced with the front desk do not represent the level of service that we strive for.

Rest assured, your comments will be shared with the entire team. I understand that I may not be able to change the opinion you currently have of the Hilton Garden inn Jackson Downtown, but I want you to know that providing feedback as you have is an important tool for us to continue to get better. I would like to ask that if ever your travels bring you back to Jackson, that you give us another opportunity to show you that we are capable of providing the level of service you expect when staying with any Hilton family hotel.

Please contact me in person if I can be of further assistance regarding your stay.

(601) 353-5464
Starkville, MS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2010

I am 62 years of age, was raised in Jackson, MS and I'm very much aware of the history associated with the OLD King Edwards. First...I must say that it's restoration is beautiful...job well done. However, I was in Jackson to take my mother to the NEW King Edwards for her 85th birthday luncheon...at her request...she has a lot of fond memories of the OLD King Edwards and wanted to go back one last time to see it all cleaned up and shining like the old grand hotel it once was. We arrived for lunch at approximately 11:30 a.m. go inside was met by a guest of the hotel...she stopped to speak (did not know the woman...she was just very friendly)...she informed us that she was heading up Capital Street to go eat lunch at the Marriott Hotel because the Hilton Garden does not serve lunch on Saturdays...we did not want breakfast...we wanted lunch. I went to the front desk and asked to clarify what I had heard and was told..."we do not serve lunch on Saturday." Also, the front desk did not offer any suggestions of restaurants close by to accommodate us. Now on their web site it states..."The King Edward Grill offers Full American Breakfast buffet with cooked to order portion in the mornings. Menu service available for lunch and dinner. King Edward Grill is open for: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner...Saturday 06:00 AM - 9:30 PM."

We left very disappointed, especially my mother...who probably will not have another opportunity to go back due to age, etc. I was disappointed because I was not able to fulfill my mothers very simple birthday request. My husband and I travel extensively and we are HHonor Customers...I'm sure we will be taking a second look before we select or confirm reservations at another HGI...evidently you can not believe what they advertise.

Stayed March 2010
2 Thank Donnas
SByers, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this review, 23 April 2010
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent experience. I am disappointed to hear that you were unable to experience lunch in our restaurant with your mother. Please know that your feedback is taken seriously and will be reviewed with the entire staff. Feedback like yours is a valuable tool for us to continue to improve upon the level of service that we provide to our valued guests.

I apologize that only breakfast was being offered during your visit, and I agree that our staff could have handled their response in a much more understanding manner. I would like to communicate that we do now offer lunch at the King Edward Bar on Saturdays. I understand that I may not be able to change the impression you currently have of the Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, but I would appreciate an opportunity to show you that we are capable of providing the level of service that you expect with Hilton.

Please accept my invitation for you and your mother to join us for Mother's Day Brunch on May 9, 2010. I would cherish an opportunity to hear your mother speak of her memories of the Old King Edward Hotel. Please contact me directly so that I may make the necessary arrangements.

Meridian, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2010

The reopening of the King Edward as a Hilton was great ,after all these years. It is new and very attractive. The room with NO view was small but it was all that I needed for a one night stay. The breakfast on Saturday was super. Staffing for the restaurant was high in number and they seemed to be watching us to close. The down side was the men begging for money both Friday night and Saturday morning. Law enforcement came Friday to shoo them away. I guess that comes with being downtown. This new inn will be a needed asset fot the new convemtion center 1 block away. Valet parking is a bargin at $14.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple