“Food was great but don't upset the Bartender”
Review of 1908 Provisions

1908 Provisions
Ranked #43 of 389 Restaurants in Jackson
Price range: US$25 - US$45
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: North State Street
Description: 1908 Provisions provides a casual and exciting dining experience where guests can enjoy seasonal dishes prepared by Executive Chef Corey Ellison. Nestled in the heart of Jackson's Belhaven neighborhood, 1908 Provisions, is the perfect place to sit, unwind, and enjoy unique cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere. At 1908 Provisions, we attend to the luxury and hospitality of our guests. Our casual atmosphere, friendly staff, and delicious cuisine will make for an unforgettable restaurant experience. Our dishes are a unique,upscale twist on traditional Southern classics. Celebrating fresh, local, and seasonal products, our menus change seasonally, sourcing what is available at its best. Join us for Sunday Brunch that is served 11:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m offering Southern classics like fried chicken and creamed corn, as well as made-to-order omelet and waffle stations. We also offer refreshing drinks such as our specialty Bloody Marys and specialty martinis, designed by our head bartender. Dinner is served from 5:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. and includes a wide variety of delicious entrees. Pair it with a refreshing cocktail or wine from our bar, and you have found yourself enjoying one of the best restaurants in Jackson, MS. Don't forget to end your meal with one of the Chef's wonderful deserts! Come and find out what sets 1908 Provision at the Fairview Inn apart from other restaurants in Jackson, MS. Book your table today and check out our menus to see what Chef Ellison is serving up tonight!
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and had heard good things about The Library and 1908 Provisions. I enjoyed the intamacy of the Library before venturing to the restaurant. We arrived and the restaurant was mostly empty, but being a Monday night I new that that meant we might get exemplary service. We were greeted by a very pleasant waiter who took our drink orders. If you have ever read my reviews, I order the most simple of drinks, bourbon on the rocks. My wife ordered a dirty martini which was delivered with the perfect amount of slushy ice in a cold martini glass. Mine showed up as a bourbon and soda or sprite. I sent it back expecting a very quick correction. The only other guests were a table of 16 celebrating a birthday and two people sitting at the bar. I heard the bartender argue with the waiter as to whose fault it was. Remember not many people were there, so unfortunately whatever the bartender said I could hear. After and uncomfortable wait I stared toward the bar to see if I could get the attention of the bartender to deliver the corrected drink. He noticed but did nothing. Another server noticed me and delivered the drink. Our waiter came back, made sure we had our drinks and explained the specials. My wife odered the salmon special and I ordered the duck confit alond with two salads. Salad were great but before my entree arrive I ordered two glasses of wine. My Murphy Goode red zinfandel was delivered and I had two sips before I noticed detergent residue all over the backside of the glass. I ask my waiter if he could help out and he promptly went to the bar where the bartender ( I believe his name was Josh ) poured the wine out of the dirty glass into a fresh glass. I overheard my waiter argue for a fresh pour and Josh uttered his disagreement but ultimately gave in because he knew I was watching. When my waiter brought my wine I thanked him for "going to bat" for me. We finished our meal and commented to each other what talent the chef had displayed. I paid my bill but noticed as I was paying that the price of my bourbon on the rocks was $3 higher in the restaurant than in the bar, The Library. Not arguing for a refund or adjustment, I mentioned to my waiter that he might want to mention the inconsistency to the owner. We were preparing to leave when the waiter asked the bartender about the pricing difference and because again the restaurant was mostly empty, I heard the bartender say to the waiter,"I am tired of being nice to him!" referring to me. By now I was mad. I approached the bar and calmly asked the bartender did I need to prove to him the pricing difference? Never suspecting that I had heard every negative exchange between he and the waiter, he quickly shifted to blaming Peter the owner. I turned retrieved my wife and left, never to return if Josh is employed there. Peter you have a wonderful restaurant with a talented chef. I wish you the best.

5  Thank John H
There are newer reviews for 1908 Provisions

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Fairview Inn is a small B&B in Jackson. 1908 is the restaurant located inside the B&B. It used to be called Sophias and also used to look a lot like the rest of the B&B. They renovated the restaurant and changed the name. The B&B is absolutely gorgeous, perfect for a bridal shower or wedding. Think old Southern Charm. The restaurant used to match that décor, but now its much more hip and cool. The menu is also much more hip and cool!! I had the red fish with jalapeno cheese grits. Although I was a little nervous about the grits being too spicy, to my surprise they weren't really spicy at all. I honestly would have preferred a little more kick. My Dad got the BBQ quail which was the special. It was 2 pieces fried and 2 pieces grilled. He said the grilled pieces were a little tough. Although I've been here several times in the past, after last night, it'll be one of my favorite restaurants in the city. Kudos to whoever orchestrated the change. Job well done.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Love the small pub feel of the Library Lounge, and 1908 Provisions restaurant is excellent. Had anniversary dinner and busines dinner for four there within the week! And put the two out of staters up at the Inn...they loved it! An elegant, warm, southern neighborhood feel to the entire property.

Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Impressive service, food, and atmosphere. I ordered the duck breast. Perfectly cooked medium. My only complaint is that we lost Sophia's.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

This is our 2nd stay at the Fairview Inn and our 2nd dinner at Sophia's. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner once again and the atmosphere, as well. Abigail was our server, and she was attentive and pleasant. I would not hesitate to recommend the Fairview Inn or Sophia's Restaurant to anyone.

1  Thank BluegrassSue