“Rooms Have Been Updated”

Cabot Lodge Millsaps
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Jackson
SC
“Rooms Have Been Updated”
Reviewed 27 July 2008

Stayed here because it is really close to the Univ. Medical Center.
Yes--you can walk to the hospital from this hotel. (I had a staff member tell me over the phone that you had to cross a major highway to get to hospital, but all it is a 4 lane road and people who work at the hosptial have to cross all the time for parking)
Room had been updated. Bathroom very small as was the double room we had. Air was not that great and still had slightly damp feeling. The hallways were another story. No updating there yet, and very hot/stuffy. The pool area looked very nice--had to go to basement floor to get there and was kind of isolated down there. Common areas are greatest plus of this hotel. Many comfortable sitting areas with couches, tables TVs. Biggest negative of this hotel is the staff. Very unfriendly, seemed liked they were more concerned with socializing with each other than guest service. Was given incorrect directions when trying to find a drug store. Exception was staffer at the reception--he was very professional and service oriented. We had to leave very early for hospital next morning and could not eat breakfast. They said I could come back and eat if I made it before cut-off time.(didn't 'cause of relative's surgery) Thought they might have offered a take-along something when we were talking at checkout, but didn't. Overall the only reason I would stay here again is location to hospital.

• Liked — close to Univ. of MS Medical Center
  • Disliked — Staff attitude, small bathrooms
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Hebrew first
Baton Rogue, LA
Reviewed 27 June 2008

We just got home from an amazing stay at the Cabot Lodge. They are going through renovations, but what they have completed was great! We were booked here for a meeting and YES I read the reviews before going. I was a little worried and unsure, but all of my worries went away when I was greeted by the amazing front desk personell.
Customer Service is #1 at the Cabot Lodge. We would return again. In fact, I booked my next vacation before I left to go back home.
Can't wait to stay again!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
boston
Reviewed 1 March 2008

We stayed here for the Mississippi Blues Marathon and it was okay. The staff was nice, things were clean and there were cocktails and popcorn in the lobby area from 5-7. The bartenders did not seem to be drinkers so some of the drinks were a bit odd but overall everything was okay. We did see signs saying the place would be renovated soon which is good because the rooms were starting to look a bit shabby.

Stayed January 2008
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed 8 July 2007

I highly recommend avoiding the Cabot Lodge. We had to stay here due to a group event, and I'll admit I checked in with a biased view after reading some other reviews. Most of the reviews are accurate. This hotel is sub-par. We had a standard non-smoking king room and paid $89/night.

First the good points: Customer service and hotel staff were friendly and accommodating. Southern hospitality reigns in Jackson. The rooms were spacious and included all the amenities listed on their website. WiFi worked well with great signal. And, they have a full cable TV lineup including HBO.

Now for the bad points: Dirty. This hotel is filthy. It wasn't worth complaining about because all the other rooms we visited were the same. The basics appeared clean, such as the sheets. Many of the towels had faint stains. The two cloth chairs had chip crumbs all over the crevices and surfaces that could easily be cleaned on a daily basis. The furniture seemed very dingy. There was a little bit of mold growing down by the AC. The paint was coming off one of the doors (to an adjacent room) and stuck to our suitcase when the lid was open and resting against the door. We though it was fresh paint, but it was wet from the humidity. The AC did a HORRIBLE job of dehumidifying the room and keeping it cool. Everything was damp. The bathroom was incredibly small. Hot water was inconsistent and the toilet was leaky and did a poor job of flushing. Also, the bathroom had no fan.

The lobby area was nice and the pool seemed ok (we didn't go in). Plenty of parking and a decent location with some nearby restaurants. If you can bare a little grime, this place may be for you. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Jackson hotels

Venice, Florida
Reviewed 18 January 2007

My air conditioning didn't work, in Jackson MS in the heat and humidity. Well it worked, but barely, and very loud. All bark and no bite so to say. I called the desk, but nobody did anything. The bathroom was very dirty, with hairs on the sink, rust stains and what looked like mildew on the shower, and "splatter" on the toilet. I called the desk about this also, and nobody did anything. Even the next day after the maid cleaned the room it wasn't improved. Although I have my own problems with the maid... They really couldn't have cared much less about correcting my problems.

In the morning, the maid didn't even knock on the door, she just walked right in. Fortunately I was dressed and had only just returned to collect some items for a meeting, but still that is very bothersome in a hotel.

I travel a great deal, and don't expect perfection from a hotel (even the Greenbriar in WV has problems) but it would be nice when there are problems to have them dealt with and not just ignored.

I really didn't like this hotel.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The staff, the room, most everything
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank VeniceFlFlier
Oxford, Mississippi
Reviewed 16 January 2007

I stayed here as part of a conference. The breakfast, conference rooms, and evening social hour are great. The rooms are in desperate need of a renovation-- ripped bedspreads, loud a/c, musty towels, flat pillows--Yikes! The shower was a game of skill because there was a millimeter range between scalding hot and freezing cold. It took forever to get it just right. Again, loved the breakfast and common rooms, but they need to shell out some cash before you can find a comfortable room here.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank sarah2280
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 July 2006

I recently stayed at Cabot Lodge Millsaps while visiting my child at Millsaps. This was my first visit to the Cabot Lodge and I was so disappointed. I got to my room around 7:00 p.m. and was tired and hungry. I was surprised to find there was no room service. One would expect a facility of this size to have some sort of room service even it only included sandwiches, deserts, snacks, etc. The web site does not say there is room service, but the guest services book in my room had a room service page. The front desk said there is no room service. I looked through the material in the room including the back of the door for an ice machine location and couldn't find it. I called the front desk; the woman told me there was an ice machine on each floor to the left of the elevator. When I got to the elevators, another guest was getting off with an ice bucket filled. She asked if I was going to try to get ice from the machine on my floor and told me not to bother. She said it had been empty for two days and that she had called the front desk and was told there was ice in the machine on the Lobby level. She also told me that was the only machine that worked in the hotel. I schlepped to the Lobby, got my ice and returned to my room on the 6th floor. Of course, after waiting for elevators, making stops on two floors and 98 degrees outside, my ice was already melting. During my ice odyssey, I was able to direct other hotel guests to the appropriate source for ice. The walls in my bathroom were rusted, the mat in the bottom of the tub was ragged, the tiles on the wall looked like they had been replace by a three year old. the air conditioner was loud and ineffective and the water waned to a mere trickle during mid-shower. It seems for the same amount of money I could have gotten a room at a real hotel with room service and working ice machines.

Stayed July 2006