“Avoid” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Jackson
San Antonio, TX
“Avoid”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2007

I highly recommend avoiding the Cabot Lodge. We had to stay here due to a group event, and I'll admit I checked in with a biased view after reading some other reviews. Most of the reviews are accurate. This hotel is sub-par. We had a standard non-smoking king room and paid $89/night.

First the good points: Customer service and hotel staff were friendly and accommodating. Southern hospitality reigns in Jackson. The rooms were spacious and included all the amenities listed on their website. WiFi worked well with great signal. And, they have a full cable TV lineup including HBO.

Now for the bad points: Dirty. This hotel is filthy. It wasn't worth complaining about because all the other rooms we visited were the same. The basics appeared clean, such as the sheets. Many of the towels had faint stains. The two cloth chairs had chip crumbs all over the crevices and surfaces that could easily be cleaned on a daily basis. The furniture seemed very dingy. There was a little bit of mold growing down by the AC. The paint was coming off one of the doors (to an adjacent room) and stuck to our suitcase when the lid was open and resting against the door. We though it was fresh paint, but it was wet from the humidity. The AC did a HORRIBLE job of dehumidifying the room and keeping it cool. Everything was damp. The bathroom was incredibly small. Hot water was inconsistent and the toilet was leaky and did a poor job of flushing. Also, the bathroom had no fan.

The lobby area was nice and the pool seemed ok (we didn't go in). Plenty of parking and a decent location with some nearby restaurants. If you can bare a little grime, this place may be for you. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Venice, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2007

My air conditioning didn't work, in Jackson MS in the heat and humidity. Well it worked, but barely, and very loud. All bark and no bite so to say. I called the desk, but nobody did anything. The bathroom was very dirty, with hairs on the sink, rust stains and what looked like mildew on the shower, and "splatter" on the toilet. I called the desk about this also, and nobody did anything. Even the next day after the maid cleaned the room it wasn't improved. Although I have my own problems with the maid... They really couldn't have cared much less about correcting my problems.

In the morning, the maid didn't even knock on the door, she just walked right in. Fortunately I was dressed and had only just returned to collect some items for a meeting, but still that is very bothersome in a hotel.

I travel a great deal, and don't expect perfection from a hotel (even the Greenbriar in WV has problems) but it would be nice when there are problems to have them dealt with and not just ignored.

I really didn't like this hotel.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The staff, the room, most everything
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank VeniceFlFlier

Travellers are raving about these Jackson hotels

Oxford, Mississippi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2007

I stayed here as part of a conference. The breakfast, conference rooms, and evening social hour are great. The rooms are in desperate need of a renovation-- ripped bedspreads, loud a/c, musty towels, flat pillows--Yikes! The shower was a game of skill because there was a millimeter range between scalding hot and freezing cold. It took forever to get it just right. Again, loved the breakfast and common rooms, but they need to shell out some cash before you can find a comfortable room here.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank sarah2280
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2006

I recently stayed at Cabot Lodge Millsaps while visiting my child at Millsaps. This was my first visit to the Cabot Lodge and I was so disappointed. I got to my room around 7:00 p.m. and was tired and hungry. I was surprised to find there was no room service. One would expect a facility of this size to have some sort of room service even it only included sandwiches, deserts, snacks, etc. The web site does not say there is room service, but the guest services book in my room had a room service page. The front desk said there is no room service. I looked through the material in the room including the back of the door for an ice machine location and couldn't find it. I called the front desk; the woman told me there was an ice machine on each floor to the left of the elevator. When I got to the elevators, another guest was getting off with an ice bucket filled. She asked if I was going to try to get ice from the machine on my floor and told me not to bother. She said it had been empty for two days and that she had called the front desk and was told there was ice in the machine on the Lobby level. She also told me that was the only machine that worked in the hotel. I schlepped to the Lobby, got my ice and returned to my room on the 6th floor. Of course, after waiting for elevators, making stops on two floors and 98 degrees outside, my ice was already melting. During my ice odyssey, I was able to direct other hotel guests to the appropriate source for ice. The walls in my bathroom were rusted, the mat in the bottom of the tub was ragged, the tiles on the wall looked like they had been replace by a three year old. the air conditioner was loud and ineffective and the water waned to a mere trickle during mid-shower. It seems for the same amount of money I could have gotten a room at a real hotel with room service and working ice machines.

Stayed July 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2005

First the highlights. The Cabot has a really nice common space that is large and varied. It really is a kind of old lodge feel. Wood paneling everywhere, huge fireplace, etc. They have a computer with internet access you can use, a few TV's, and other areas that aren't subject to direct TV noise.

They serve popcorn and drinks in the early eve and breakfast in the morning. I didn't really use them but they looked decent enough.

Now for the bad. The room was rather damp and musty smelling. The bathroom didn't vent well enough to keep from having steam all over everything after a shower. The tiles had a nice helping of mildew.

And the worst...the air conditioner was so loud as to be unusable. The a/c compressor shook the whole unit and vibrated lots of metal. Every time it kicked on it filled the room with a surging sound that was impossible to sleep to, and really too loud to have a calm conversation near. Our solution was to freeze the room in the day (the temps were in the 90's day and 70's night, so not using it wasn't an option) enough so that we could turn the thermostat down when we went to sleep so that it wouldn't kick on.

I would have complained but the hotel was completely full due to Katrina so a move was likely impossible. Regardless, as you walked outside it was easy to hear that every single a/c had the same problem. Apparently some rooms have unadjustable a/c's with the same problem--a friend in another room was unable to turn it off or pull the plug, so she slept with earplugs.

I certainly can't recommend the Cabot if you care about sleeping much.

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Booneville, MS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2005

I recently stayed a couple of nights at the Cabot - Millsaps. I have stayed here several times in the past since I often have business downtown and the hotel is in a convenient location. As usual, the room was nice and the amenities are above average. I would reccomend it, but it would surely be nice if the desk clerks would smile every once in a while and treat you more like a guest instead of a nuisance!

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business
3 Thank luckyt
St. Louis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2005

I stayed at this hotel on my way down to Florida for a vacation. I don't even know where to begin! Let's see: Our first room was old looking and had brown water coming out of the shower faucet. Complained at front desk and were moved to second room. Second room had holes in the dirty-looking pillowcases, there was a glob of shampoo (or maybe conditioner) on the shower faucets, there was hair in the tub, something sticky on our room keys, pubic hair on the nightstand, bath towels that smelled curiously like maple syrup, expired soda in the vending machine, and VERY unfriendly staff. The only good thing was the chocolate iced donuts in the morning. BIG rip-off. If you must stay at a Cabot Lodge in Mississippi, stay at the one in Ridgeland. At least that one is clean and staffed with friendly people.

• Stayed June 2005