“Poor Service, Left For Another Restaurant, Will Not Return”
Review of The Penguin Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

The Penguin Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 14 May 2014

A friend and I decided to dine/drink and I arrived at the restaurant around 7:30pm. I arrived immediately behind a group of about 5. The restaurant was not even half full and the group, although I hate to say this, where younger whites who were seated immediately. I am a 34 year old professional black male and I promise I stood there for at least 15 minutes in awe that NOBODY acknowledged me. A gentleman came over and asked if I would like to be seated as if there was some other business I would be there for. I asked for a table for two and he sat me somewhere around a corner where the bartender nor the servers could see. My friend arrived and sat with me for at least 10 minutes. My friend was upset that nobody had acknowledged us and he got the attention of a server who was adjusting the lights. My friend asked for the manager and to my surprise it was the manager who had seated and ignored me. His excuse was he thought I was waiting for someone, but after my friend had been sitting there for 10 minutes we didnt buy it. The apology was so lackluster and none sincere I had made up my mind I didnt want to eat or drink there and would not return. My friend didnt want his day ruined so he encouraged me to go to the bar. We sat adjacent and he ordered a mixed drink. The class was dirty and he complained. The bartendered brought another dirty class to which my friend complained and he said, its the dishwasher and they will all look like that! He wipes the glass with a random rag that was probably not clean then displays the glass asking if that was clean enough. My friend ordered a glass of wine and that glass was dirty as well. The bartender was the worst of all, because he NEVER asked me if I would like to order. The Penguin came highly recommended, but I now know, its because a lot of people in Jackson have unfortunately never left the state and have not had a chance to experience customer service excellence. I wanted to love and support this place because it was in the boom around JSU, but I will never return.

2  Thank M L

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I visited the Penguin for the 1st time last night, during happy hour. I loved the ambience from the moment Iwalked through the door. It reminded me of a place from the Midwest or East coast.

Even with it's open concept, the design made it feel as if there were seperate rooms. We satcatvthe bar, which I typically don't do, but it was a comfortable spot. The bartender, Mike (?), was very nice without being pesty and attentive. You neverchad to ask for anything except the check.lol

The music was a nice of all genres and you didn't have to compete with it to have a conversation. The food selection was a pleasant surprise. Albeit tasty, the egg rolls were a little over done. My salad was fresh and the chicken on top was as tender as mine.

I have heard about this place, from several people, but never gone. I'm glad the opportunity presented itself last night. I will definitely return and recommend it.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

If it's a night out on the town for great food, drinks and dancing to a live band, or a burger and beer after the football game, or Sunday Brunch. A great time to be had by all. John E. Hardy (OWNER) is the best. He even cooks the ribs outside on Fridays. Go JSU.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

It is not the Penguin of my youth and college days, but a great place to eat. I ordered an apple martini, which was bland and tasteless. Nothing like the great ones that were served at the former Crystal's Lounge down the street. I ordered catfish which came with fries and coleslaw. The slow was not as cold as I like mine, but it was good. The order came with two large, flaky, delicious fillets. They were piping hot and cooked to perfection. The fries were very good. My companion had a Tiger Burger. It had a very thick beef pattie. He said it was a very good burger. We had wanted the ribs but even though they were on the menu, they were not available. Service was excellent. We were seated immediately, and the waitress arrived immediately. My only complaint was I had to ask for cocktail sauce for my fish.

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

First time back at The Penguin in about a year. Was pleasantly surprised that we did not have to wait for table (party of 7) and even more surprised that the place wasn't packed. Since it's been a year, first thing I noticed was the menu had changed drastically. There was an abundance of new items that was befitting the establishment. I ordered the crawfish egg rolls and sausage stuffed mushroom caps. Caps came out first and I waited another 15 minutes for my crawfish rolls. They tasted great, even if I had to wait to so long. The food was good but the service is still lacking. I had to ask my server several times for a take out box for my crawfish rolls.

Since the food tastes better, I will consider going back again.

2  Thank TravelingMomma73