“The Absolute Best Ribs”

E & L Barbeque
Ranked #61 of 388 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, French
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Finger lickin good is all I can say. Every time I come here I get the rib tips with sauce on the fries. Oh my gobbly gooo! I'll tell you this, if you order this, make sure you are near the bed. The last time I ordered this was during lunch. I came down with a bad case of the ittis! LOL. I don't care for the location but the food can't be beat!

Reviewed 25 February 2012

I love this place, the rib tips are delicious, and I love their famous sauce on fries. Unfortunately it's located in a place I'd rather not visit often, even though they provide security. Therefore I rarely get to eat it but when I do it's amazing, wish they would relocate!

Reviewed 6 January 2012

I had been here about a year ago and neglected to review it. My wife and I just went back and felt obligated to review it, primarily b/c not only was it as good as I remembered, but it was as if I was eating it for the first time. I live in Memphis and have tried every place in Memphis and many in the surrounding states and other parts of the country. E&L is currently my favorite place for ribs. My review is focused on the ribs b/c that is my focus when I eat bbq. My wife gets the pulled pork sand and that was fine, but not GREAT like the ribs. The sauce is on the sweater side, so if you're looking for spice, you may not like it. Even two days later and cold, some left-over ribs were still GREAT!

As a suggestion, I recommend taking exit 98A off of I-55 (Woodrow Wilson), which is the exit just North of the restaurant (as opposed to the exit just south of the restaurant).

Most importantly, don't let the "bad neighborhood" comments scare you. The good bbq place with table-cloths does NOT exist. That is called a chain restaurant and they have average or below average bbq. This neighborhood is fine. If your idea of trying new places, however, is visiting the Outback or Texas Roadhouse while you're on vacation b/c it's not the one you're used to frequenting, then this place is not for you.

Thanks E&L.

1  Thank willr6
Reviewed 19 November 2011

When you walk in past the barred windows, you see a security guy in uniform sitting at his "station." The food wasn't that good and it just kind of gets thrown at you from the counter. Dirty and plain. And it's a scary, run-down part of Jackson. Pass

Reviewed 15 September 2011

Was in town briefly for work and wanted the best BBQ in town.

E&L came up on a number of sites and so we decided to visit. Three "crackers" loaded up in the minivan and we soon found ourselves on the other side of the tracks. Honestly, a scary neighborhood. The armed guard, yes, armed guard, out front did little to assuage our concerns about the area. Inside the cracked linoleum and very bare bones rooms, we were greeted coolly. But then the food arrived. HUGE portion of amazing ribs and sausage in a crazily good sauce. So if you are up for an adventure, go.