“Timing is the key”

Ranked #11 of 380 Restaurants in Jackson
Price range: US$15 - US$15
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Keifer's is a popular Mediterranean restaurant serving Jackson, MS since 1980. We serve hot pita wraps, hummus, felafel, salads, homemade creamy feta dressing, and the best gyro in the country as seen on the Food Network!
Jackson, Mississippi
“Timing is the key”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My Wife and I regularly consider stopping in at Keifer's for Lunch, but parking can be a real problem at certain times of the day (read downtown Lunch crowd). That alone speaks to the popularity of this Restaurant (been this way for at least the last decade or so). We have adjusted our timing recently to 1 hour later and have been able to really enjoy 2 visits in the last couple of weeks. The gyros are consistently delectable, but we skip the Fries (which are also very good) and go for the Cucumber Salad (this preparation is worth the visit by itself). The Staff is always attentive and friendly. Now that OUR timing has been adjusted, we'll be there even more often (Wife says she wants to try everything on the menu).

• Visited July 2014

Daytona Beach, Florida
“Good gyro, but service and value not quite as good”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I was craving a good gyro, and I had read the reviews on here as well as from Food Network's On The Road app. I got there at the lunch rush. It was packed, and I was lucky to find a parking space. Once I went inside, I was told I could sit anywhere I wanted. I chose to sit outside, and the server quickly took my drink order. I did specify water WITHOUT lemon, but he brought it with a wedge of lemon anyway. I appreciate when a server actually listens to my preference and pays attention to that detail, so I was disappointed that he brought it with lemon. I ordered the gyro, and it didn't take very long for him to deliver it to my table. He checked on me just once, but that's okay with me. I don't like to be checked on several times during the meal. As others have said, the wait and bus staff were constantly moving and busy. I did have one of the bus boys ask how I was doing as well, so I appreciated that not just my server was making sure my dining experience there was going well. As I finished my gyro, the outside patio was empty and I was the only one left. My server stopped by, and I asked him how big the piece of baklava was. Instead of him telling me an approximate size, he said, "Sure, I can bring you one, sweetie." Again, that wasn't what I had asked. Maybe he was in too much of a rush to really process what I had asked? The food was definitely good in my opinion, but it did seem a bit pricey for what I got. It cost $13-$14 for a gyro, a piece of baklava, and a glass of water. (Was the lemon extra??) No chips or fries with the gyro. Because I love gyros, I would definitely come back again if I'm in Jackson, but I couldn't afford to eat lunch there every day, that's for sure!

• Visited June 2014
Saint James, Missouri
“Wonderful surprise!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We were not expecting a lot from a "Greek" restaurant named "Keifer's." Shallow, I know... but there it is.

The Greek salad was large and well made; the falafel wrap was simply amazing. Wow. Great flavor and texture - and the sauce wasn't crazy strong with cucumber flavor.

We'll be back when we're in town - love this place!

College Station, TX
“Not a great salad.”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I was only in Jackson for one night and I got a recommendation from the lady at my hotel for this place when I asked, 'where do the locals eat?' She named off a slew of fast food joints first and then said Keifers. She said it's Mediterranean and I was sold.

After a day of driving, I was eager to get off my feet and eat something light, this seemed perfect as she mentioned a patio and with the weather still nice enough to sit outside, I felt I'd hit the dinner jackpot.

Was not impressed with service. The ladies at the front were nice enough to say, sit wherever and when I did I waited a long time to order a beer, waited more to get it and order my salad, waited a bit longer to get salad. Then waited more for check after finishing salad. Guy was super nice and I was ok just chillin on the patio after being in the car all day but I can see how others could be easily turned off by the amount of waiting.

So, the salad. Huge chunks of lettuce and I'm one who HATES having to eat a salad with a knife but there was simply no other way to eat it. There were just a few tomatoes, no cucumbers and big chunks of chicken which was actually quite tasty (dang! I prolly should got a wrap, which is what pretty much EVERYONE ELSE was eating). The killer for the salad though was the feta. There was sooooo much feta and then when you add a feta based salad dressing, holy crap, like eating forkfuls of feta. I picked out most of the chicken and just ate that.

I bet this place has killer gyros! Skip the salad, get one of those. Have a tasty beer in a frozen mug while you wait. ;)

Visited June 2014
Jackson, Mississippi
“If gyros are your thing...”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We have eaten here 1-2 times a year since 2004. Don't expect too much out this place and you won't be disappointed. Can get pricey for what is essentially fast food. Gyros are pretty standard fare. If you don't like Tzatziki sauce, make sure to mention or ask for it on the side.

Waitstaff is always in a hurry, but take your order quickly. I have never seen a manager in this establishment in 10 years. Not sure they have them here. They may be working in the kitchen. They certainly don't interact with customers.

You may want to pass for dinner as value is not there. A popular local lunch spot.

• Visited June 2014