“Some good ole southern soul food”

Two Sister's Kitchen
Ranked #13 of 380 Restaurants in Jackson
Price range: US$8 - US$8
Cuisines: American
Good for: Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mattoon, Illinois
“Some good ole southern soul food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

The terminus of our travels this day was Jackson, Mississippi’s capitol city. We arrived about 11:30. We pulled into a shopping center parking lot to select a place to have lunch. It turns out that many of TripAdvisor’s top picks are not open on Sunday. However, we found a highly rated place called Two Sisters Kitchen which is downtown, within sight of the capitol building.

Two Sisters Kitchen is a big old clapboard sided house - a little over a hundred years old we were told. Three of the four rooms on the main level and all four on the second floor are smallish dining rooms. We did not know it in advance but there is no menu - it is strictly a buffet. There is a salad bar - which was good but not noteworthy. The main buffet line contained an ample variety of very tasty southern soul food. I tried a little bit of nearly everything they had, including: fried chicken, salisbury steak, creamed corn, blackeyed peas, collard greens, grits, butter beans, succotash, iced tea and, for dessert: bread pudding with bourbon sauce. Those items I would put into the excellent category: fried chicken, creamed corn, collard greens and grits. The bread pudding, however, scored a notch above excellent (regardless of whatever you want to call it). It was powerful sweet - my glucose level probably hit a new record - fortunately, the serving was quite small.

Lunch’s bottom line: I can’t think of a better Sunday dinner in the south than what they serve up at the Two Sisters Kitchen. Thirty-eight bucks with tax and gratuity.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank joan&mike

Jackson
“Excellent down home cookin'”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

The food and two sister's beats almost any other lunch venues in Jackson. The fried catfish and the bread pudding are simply wonderful.

• Visited January 2014
Mobile, Alabama
“Like eating at mama's house”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I'm so glad they do not have a restaurant like this in Mobile, AL. I would weigh 500 lbs.

Delicious, home cooked, southern meal at its finest! Tasted like my mother's southern cooking and man could she cook!

My seven year old said that the bread pudding with chocolate sauce was the best dessert he had ever tasted.

Must try restaurant if you are in Jackson. We went on a Sunday, ten minutes before they opened. It's a good sign when there is a line at the door before they open. The crowd didn't stop pouring in either.

Delicious food, great service!

1 Thank Rsavell
Greenwell Springs, Louisiana
“Some home style cooking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Greeted by friendly staff upon entering the rustic home converted to restaurant. There were lots of locals.
Since everything is non traditional to what one expects at a.restaurant, the cashiers greet and briefly explain how the buffet works, so there was little confusion to how things worked.
After reading reviews, I tried every item in the buffet. The fried chicken was interesting...No skin, but it still had a crispy texture to it. The cream of corn was thick and corny, as it should be. The biscuit, simple and nothing special. The greens and blacked eye peaswere cooked to the correct tenderness. Not much seasoning, if any at all, but that's alright. The fried okra was perfect. The country fried steak had a nice crunchy exterior with a tender juicy interior. The mashed potatoes and white gravy were pretty bland, but ultimately was my favorite compared to the fried chicken. Before we headed out, we had dessert; bread pudding with a bourbon sauce and a peach cobbler. The peach cobbler was way too sweet..enough to turn me into a diabetic.
Great atmosphere, food is simple, yet made with love to be comfort food.

Palm Beach, Florida
“Jackson's Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

My boyfriend and I are driving cross country and wanted to stop in Jackson for the culture and amazing food. We read the reviews for the best local southern food and this was the by far the place to go. We stumbled upon it right when they opened around 11, and good thing we did, because twenty minutes later it was packed!! It is the local lunch spot for both blue collar workers and senators from across the street at the capital building. The owners and the staff could not have been nicer. My boyfriend said it was the best fried chicken he's ever had. I am a vegetarian and there were plenty of amazing dishes for me to eat and enjoy. The Mac and Cheese was by the far my favorite. Everything was divine, from the sweet tea, to the unlimited southern buffet, to the apple crisp and banana pudding for dessert. If you're anywhere near Jackson you must stop at two sisters' kitchen!!! We paid $25 + tip for an incredible lunch. Can't beat that! What a gem!

• Visited March 2014