“What a trip!”

Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Bradenton, Florida
“What a trip!”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The hostess at our hotel recommended this place. I had said after traveling 11 1/2 hours from FL we needed a nice steak/seafood restaurant and have a cocktail. She gave us a coupon for Crechale's ... not an easy place to find and we nearly drove by it. We saw two children chasing each other out of the front door, and the general appearance was not welcoming. But always keep an open mind, as we say. We stepped into a place from the 1950s with music from even before that, which is OK. Since we were in a very small diner-type restaurant, we expected moderate pricing. By the way, there is NO cocktail lounge or bar. We were seated promptly (just a few tables were occupied), and then we opened the menu. When we saw those prices, we were both in sticker shock. Over $32.00 for prime rib??? Over $17.00 for chicken livers? I think spaghetti and meatballs were around $17.00. Our server was friendly, and I think she has heard other customers having a hard time breathing after reading those prices. Onion rings were over $9.00!! Well, I ordered a vodka martini straight up, and it came in a small water glass (think it was around $7.00). My husband ordered frog legs (over $23.00, I believe) which were nicely prepared but WAY overpriced. And I did have fried chicken livers for $17.95 with small and dull iceberg lettuce salad and small baked potato. The bleu cheese dressing was good. Our server told us the place has been in business since the mid 1950s, which is amazing considering those prices and the average preparation. It's a trip we will never forget.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Nancy M

Phoenix, Arizona
“Umm, uhhh”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Well, I had the opportunity to eat this place on a Thursday evening. If I wasn't told it existed I would have never gone. It sits back off Highway 80 a bit incognito. From the moment I walked through the door and was seated by the young lady I had a clue that what was next to come was not going to be the best dining experience.

It was way too dark. I have 20/20 and had a hard time viewing the menu. I settled on the seafood platter, which consisted of stuffed shrimp, fried shrimp, scallops and oysters and some type of fish and stuffed crab. First came the salad imposter. There was 1 piece of Jullianned, imitation white cheese, 1 cherry tomato, a old tomato wedge cut 3 times and maybe 10 tiny pieces of lettuce. The salad dressing choices were slim...Kumback sauce, Blue cheese, oil and vinegar. Wow! Really? Not even the tried and true Ranch. I settled on the oil and vinegar, but after the first bite quickly realized it was the wrong choice. So, I made a concoction and added the Kumback sauce. Which, despite popular belief is not good on everything. It's better for dipping shrimp and fish. Next came the meal which was luke warm at best. The stuffed shrimp was so, so. The regular shrimp was excellent and it was obvious they at least clean their grease because the shrimp were golden. Unfortunately, someone in the kitchen has no clue how to make cocktail sauce. What they call cocktail sauce was more like a kid science project. It had chopped dill pickles and some red stuff. I gagged. The baked potato was decent and the fries were good. But you can't really mess that up, can you? But, then again, they messed up a simple side salad.
The music was too loud and was a genre that finally wreaked havoc on my psyche. The highlight was the birthday song. I've never heard that version before. Luckily, there were two tables celebrating a birthdayvthat evening which was 1 too many.lol There was no dessert menu. When I inquired, the server advised they had a tart with a few filling choices. I passed and ALWAYS have room for dessert.smh
Oh, the see through meat case was also a place where a server placed a bottle of beer in for whatever reason. I'm surecthat can't be very sanitary. How can one be sure her hands were clean? Also, if the bathroom got any smaller a Smurf could use it. I'm a petite lady and I felt very claustrophobic. At least there is one. Every inch of that place is being used.

To Crechale's defense, the staff was friendly & professional. Even Mr. Crechale himself visited every table to say hi. He also doubles as the cashier. He held us hostage talking about a colder than usual family trip to Disney World. But he was very pleasant.

All in all, there is DEFINITELY room for improvement. Especially for the prices they charge. I wouldn't recommend this place nor visit again.

1 Thank Tonya B
Tallahassee, FL
“Family owned - family feel”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Small, but quaint family restaurant. You can tell it is where the locals eat! Owner mingles and knows a lot of the customers, special birthday greetings, etc. the price has gone up since I was last there - more than you would expect from a family restaurant. But our friend is local and it was a fun night!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank LBevan
Florence, Mississippi
“Hidden treasure ”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

We love seafood and decided to try this highly recommended place. The food was very good and super fresh. The wait staff was attentive and pleasant. The atmosphere was dated (70's) BUT I felt like I was in my grandmothers house . Very causal and laid back. Stuffed shrimp, scallops, soft shell crab .. Yum!!!

1 Thank Redcurls875
“Like eating in a honky tonk”
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

On Dec 21, we went there for a family Christmas Dinner, there were eight in the party. We had reservations, the tables were not set up as requested. The music was so loud you could not hear, we asked them to lower the volume, they didn't. The food: stuffed flounder and beef kabobs were great, the fried seafood platters were awful. Will not return.

Visited December 2013