“I love these sandwiches” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #119 of 379 Restaurants in Jackson
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Oak Lawn, Illinois
“I love these sandwiches”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

My Mother and I went to Jackson, Mississippi about two weeks ago to visit family...This is my mother's home town...I had not been there since 1997....and I Love the sausage sandwich hot..that was our first stop when we arrived off the train..and we got some more a couple of days later and I had plans to take some for my dinner on the train but they were closed on Monday...I was disappointed.....I wish they would open one in Chicago

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Denise G

Florence MS
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

I know the owner of this resteraunt & the food is very good there. They go out of their way to make the people comfortable when they come in and eat. Everybody owes it to theirself to go there to either location.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank Angie M
Flora, MS
“The only thing better than the food is the friendlness.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

Just think about someone seeng a shrimp or lobster and saying "You're going to EAT that?"
Pig ear sandwiches are tender and completely yummy! They're served on a Krystal-styled roll adorned with coleslaw and mustard. You can add cheese or egg if you like. You can choose Not Hot (my favorite), Mild, or Hot (my husband's pick). Ask them about their tie to good old time Blues or watch the TV on the counter for background info. Do Not Miss!!! It's a priceless experience that will leave you like everyone else-smiling! And for only $1.10!!!!

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank Skeptic123
Madison, MS
“There is nothing like a hot smoke (sandwich) and coffee on a cold morning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

I've been going to Big Apple Inn for several years now, mostly in the cold months. I go to the one off State Street between Northside and Meadowbrook. I like the hot smokes. Chopped Red Rose sausage, a sort of mustardy/vinegary slaw and hot sauce on a small bun (sort of the size of a Crystal sandwich). The food is fantastic and inexpensive. I took some home once and toasted them in the oven briefly (if you don't eat them immediately they get very soggy very fast, it isn't health food) and they were fantastic with the light crunch. They are best fresh and hot and in my opinion a hot smoke and a cup of black coffee is the perfect thing for a cold morning. The place is spartan and it adds to the experience. Real atmosphere.

• Visited February 2011
2 Thank keepinitlocal
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
“Great Red Rose Sausage Sandwiches”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2011

This is a great restaurant for red rose sausage sandwiches. I no longer live in Jackson, but this restaurant was one of two places that I visited when I flew back home last week for a short visit. That's how great the taste of these little sandwiches are. This restaurant is also popular for their pig ear sandwiches. There are two locations for this restaurant (Downtown Jackson on Farish St & North Jackson on State St). If you don't mind a bit of extra grease on your meat, this is well worth the tasty sausage or pig ear treat!

• Visited January 2011