“Dorothy Moore likes pig ears & me "smokes"”
Review of Big Apple Inn

Big Apple Inn
Ranked #140 of 386 Restaurants in Jackson
Jackson, Mississippi
“Dorothy Moore likes pig ears & me "smokes"”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I manage Dorothy Moore who started singing on Farish Street at the Alamo Theater about age 12. We often stop for lunch or dinner at Big John's as it is known locally. Big John started the business selling from the street. I think, in the 4th generation now, it's still good and a great experience. White folks in Jackson don't know this place but it's great, atmosphere, food & price although word is getting out. Take out or stay in you'll have the real deal. My choice is the NO HOT sausage sandwich (smokes) but they have tamales too. Once when Dorothy was away I sent her a dozen for a special holiday! The carrier said everyone on the plane asked her about the package.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank ppinn

Milton, FL
“Pig Ear Paradise”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My husband saw this restaurant on TV and was dying to go. I was nervous about going in but we were treated great. Not only are the pig ears good but the sausage sandwiches are fantastic. The guy at the counter asked hot or regular. I asked how hot is hot? He said "it will light you on fire!" The regular has peppers that are pretty warm. The price was astounding, $5 for 4 sandwiches. Drinks from a machine but they have flavors you don't often see like peach. We will return.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank teachosc
Oak Lawn, Illinois
“I love these sandwiches”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

My Mother and I went to Jackson, Mississippi about two weeks ago to visit family...This is my mother's home town...I had not been there since 1997....and I Love the sausage sandwich hot..that was our first stop when we arrived off the train..and we got some more a couple of days later and I had plans to take some for my dinner on the train but they were closed on Monday...I was disappointed.....I wish they would open one in Chicago

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank Denise G
Florence MS
“Great food”
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I know the owner of this resteraunt & the food is very good there. They go out of their way to make the people comfortable when they come in and eat. Everybody owes it to theirself to go there to either location.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank Angie M
Flora, MS
“The only thing better than the food is the friendlness.”
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Just think about someone seeng a shrimp or lobster and saying "You're going to EAT that?"
Pig ear sandwiches are tender and completely yummy! They're served on a Krystal-styled roll adorned with coleslaw and mustard. You can add cheese or egg if you like. You can choose Not Hot (my favorite), Mild, or Hot (my husband's pick). Ask them about their tie to good old time Blues or watch the TV on the counter for background info. Do Not Miss!!! It's a priceless experience that will leave you like everyone else-smiling! And for only $1.10!!!!

• Visited October 2011