“It Ain't What it Used to Be”
Review of Big Apple Inn

Big Apple Inn
Ranked #121 of 388 Restaurants in Jackson
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I ate a lot of 'smokes and ears' during my many years in Jackson, MS. On my recent trip there I decided to go back to what the locals call "Big Johns" I ordered two smokes and one ear. The sandwiches are wrapped in wax paper and put in a brown bag. Therefore, I didn't know my order was wrong until it was too late. Back in the day they used a delicious, spicy sauce and put mustard on the sandwiches. You could also get them with really, really hot sauce. This time there was no mustard, the sauce was watered down and tasteless. And it really was NOT hot to me. I just had some sticky, gummy tasteless nothing. They no longer sell beer, so I had to wash them down with a soft drink. There is a vending machine there with various soft drinks and Hawaiian Punch. I went during the day and there was not a long wait. My aunt, cousin, and I went the next evening about: p.m. This time there was a looooong wait. We got them to go. We had to microwave them since they had gotten cold. I was disappointed again. My smoke was soggy, greasy and tasteless. Another of my cousins said she tried to eat one, but it was so soggy and nasty that it made her throw up. Sorry, Mr. Lee, but "Big Johns" just doesn't make the grade, in my book, anymore.

2  Thank lindilou

Reviewed 14 December 2013

My wife and I drove here specifically to have the pig ear sandwich, 262 miles one way.
It was easily worth the drive! She ate 4 of them at the restaurant and took 2 to go. I had a smoke sandwich, a bbq bologna, and an order of tamales (6 in the order). All were superb!
Service was friendly and fast, prices are fine, all sandwiches are $1.25, our entire bill was $16.00
Don't be put off by the location, it is a great place to eat and everyone there was extremely friendly and nice.
Gotta have a pig ear sandwich when you go!

3  Thank ChineseYankee
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I manage Dorothy Moore who started singing on Farish Street at the Alamo Theater about age 12. We often stop for lunch or dinner at Big John's as it is known locally. Big John started the business selling from the street. I think, in the 4th generation now, it's still good and a great experience. White folks in Jackson don't know this place but it's great, atmosphere, food & price although word is getting out. Take out or stay in you'll have the real deal. My choice is the NO HOT sausage sandwich (smokes) but they have tamales too. Once when Dorothy was away I sent her a dozen for a special holiday! The carrier said everyone on the plane asked her about the package.

3  Thank ppinn
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My husband saw this restaurant on TV and was dying to go. I was nervous about going in but we were treated great. Not only are the pig ears good but the sausage sandwiches are fantastic. The guy at the counter asked hot or regular. I asked how hot is hot? He said "it will light you on fire!" The regular has peppers that are pretty warm. The price was astounding, $5 for 4 sandwiches. Drinks from a machine but they have flavors you don't often see like peach. We will return.

4  Thank teachosc
Reviewed 20 May 2013

My Mother and I went to Jackson, Mississippi about two weeks ago to visit family...This is my mother's home town...I had not been there since 1997....and I Love the sausage sandwich hot..that was our first stop when we arrived off the train..and we got some more a couple of days later and I had plans to take some for my dinner on the train but they were closed on Monday...I was disappointed.....I wish they would open one in Chicago

3  Thank Denise G