“Decent BBQ”

Hickory Pit
Ranked #186 of 389 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We were looking for some good, inexpensive, Mississippi BBQ while in Jackson for the afternoon. It's a small place with just a few tables in side and out, nice guys behind the counter on early Saturday evening. There were three tables full of people inside and a constant flow through their drive trough.

One chopped pork and one chopped beef sandwich plate. Three different sauces on the table, Hot was good, mild was tasty the sweet was too sweet for me. Sandwiches were decent sized...with a but of lettuce/cabbage on top of the meat. The meat was tasty but nothing terribly exciting. The 2 table spoons of beans were good...but too small a portion. The mustard potato salad was wonderful, Sour pickle and yellow mustard just like my mother-in-law's! Just not enough of it.
Bottom line is not bad BBQ...just a little under portioned...for $10 each.

There are newer reviews for Hickory Pit

Reviewed 8 February 2013

this was an excellant stop for our family. The chopped pork was incredible and the slaw was perfect. The staff was friendly and the place was clean.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

I had lunch at the Hickory Pit today, January 8, 2013. I had the Rib Plate (1/2 rack), and tea. I had the dry ribs. They have a rub on them, and I found them to be very good. The rub was good, but not overpowering, and the plate was more than I could eat. The price was reasonable. Having said that, however, there really isn't anything to set the Hickory Pit apart from most Bar-B-Q restaurants. I will certainly go back, and I would recommend it to anyone, but I can't find any reason to rate them more than average.

Reviewed 26 December 2012 via mobile

I stopped here while traveling through Jackson. Very easy access as it only a very short distance off of I-55.
The menu is full of choices, actually hard to decide which to choose. I finally decided on pork ribs w/dry rub. GREAT CHOICE!!! The ribs were ready quickly and the smoke ring was very visible when they arrived. Three sauces were available at the table, but it was really not necessary. Very good smoked flavor, for the meaty ribs that I selected. The potatoe salad and cole slaw sides tasted homemade and were excellent as well.
When I finished my meal, I was full and very satisfied. I also understood the sign by the front door that said they were Mississippi's best Q.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

Went here for lunch and I was ravenously hungry. I ordered the pulled pork plate with beans and cole slaw which came with Texas toast. The pork was flavorful with a good smoke flavor and the texture was good. It was better than the pulled pork I had in Memphis a few months ago. They had 3 types of sauce on the table but for some reason I didn't care for the sweet sauce.

The beans were outstanding and had a spicy flavor. The cole slaw was crunchy which was good and the dressing was good. I had to try a piece of Hersheys pie and it was good. I wish I had been able to have a cup of coffee with the pie. Good barbecue IMHO.

1  Thank trbeer