“Local flavor, comfortable and satisfying” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #43 of 379 Restaurants in Jackson
Price range: US$6 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Bar, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Shreveport
“Local flavor, comfortable and satisfying”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

My friend and I like to walk here from the Old Capitol Inn. It's an easy stroll in good weather. It's a comfortable environment with good food, large portions, and an easy and comfortable atmosphere. Service is excellent and you will leave satisfied!

• Visited October 2013

Jackson, Mississippi
“Locally popular/ unique”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

This is one of those restaurants that is hard to rate. It is an institution in Jackson. Many of the locals love it. Yet it can't be a five star or else where would you rate a real five star? It just doesn't measure up to that. The food can be very good, as was the red beans and rice was today, but then the bread was stale. The service was good and the staff was very friendly. There is plenty of parking and it is downtown. The atmosphere is sort of funky. It is a fun and lively place to eat or have a few drinks.

• Visited October 2013
starkville
“I have to have the bisque”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

I come to Jackson once a month and if it's on a Friday, I WILL eat at Hal and Mals just to get the seafood bisque and tamales. The bisque is food for the Gods and the tamales are some of the best around here. The staff are also very friendly, even when they are swamped. I have never had a bad experience there, Friday or any other day. Hal and Mals is an oldie but goodie.

• Visited August 2013
illinois
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

My husband and I ate here while traveling thru Mississippi. I only wish I could bring this restaurant home with me. Outstanding atmosphere and food. I had the red beans and rice and loved it! We were there June21, 2013 and there was a band there that played wonderful classics and made our dining experience even better. Loved loved loved it!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank DominoIllinois
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Monday Blues Night..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

We had one of the warmest welcomes of our road trip at Hal and Mals, and enjoyed some amazing music and good beers.. I would highly recommend trying this place out especially if its the Blues night.

Visited April 2013