“Very Different Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Jackson
Gary, Indiana
“Very Different Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed at Old Capitol Inn and it felt a little spooky. Walked into the hotel it had an old smell to it. The carpets were visibly dirty.The receptionist was nice.There was one other guy seem like he was there to make sure you got everything you needed for the night. Those were the only people we saw. Felt like we were the only ones in the entire hotel. You could sit and eat in the courtyard with tables and chairs also had a garden with a very small bridge to walk across. The rooftop was a little scary, furniture was old and worn out especially the floors. My husband enjoyed the wine and cheese. The room we stayed in was the Mississippi Delta. Good bed very comfortable. Shower was excellent. When we used the Jacuzzi the jet stream blew out black trash. Had to wash out 3 or 4 times before we felt safe to use it. Breakfast was nice, we were the only ones there. The Old Capitol has the right ideal but need to be renovated to update and it could be a very nice B & B hotel. I gave it a 2 only because it was gated, the breakfast was good, great shower, and comfortable bed. but I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jar57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

We spent the night at the OCI after the Jackson Restaurant Week Kick-off party. It was, as usual a fantastic experience. The clerks and staff were helpful with questions, and the views and food were wonderful.

I prefer a place with a little personality and history to a chain hotel, and this is what you get with the Old Capitol Inn. The themed rooms vary in decor and taste but they are all great. I stayed in a room with 5 shower heads and it was great for after a long day of being on my feet.

Room Tip: I really liked #9 - great shower.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights for my 30th birthday. Arrived and check in was simple. The room was average. My husband & I have never stayed at a B&B. Honestly this is more like a regular hotel with a continental breakfast. Our room had a small bathroom. The toilet was very close to the shower. The room had 2 TV's... Honestly the sitting area is a waste of space with the other TV. Only used the "sitting room" to iron clothes. -Pickens room-
Our view of the courtyard was obscured by a tree. One morning someone decided to take down a tent that was in the courtyard area, and instead of placing the metal poles on the ground the person decided to toss them causing the poles to make an annoying clang sound. This went on for several minutes. So much for a nice relaxing morning drinking coffee.
Another morning I was wanting to mail a post card, I went down to the front desk... Waited for quite a while until the lady sitting at the desk in the back decided to acknowledge me.. Asked here if they could mail my postcard and she just waned me to leave the post card on the counter. I would have rather performed my post card be placed in some type of tray or box so that it wouldn't get tossed to the floor. So I decided to mail it myself at the post office. She just rubbed me the wrong way, like I was an inconvenience to her and she didn't want to get up.
I'm from Texas and I guess our southern hospitality is different.
Over all the room and stay was just ok. I made the reservations over the phone and secured it with a card (normal) but my card was charged after the first night and on checkout day they had slipped a receipt under the door. I was wanting to pay cash, but my card had already been charged. Not that big of a deal, but it would have been nice to tell me that they charged my debit card instead of letting me pay cash.
All in all it was was ok. This is my personal experience. It wasn't bad, but just ok.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

This was my first time in Mississippi and I couldn't ask for a better visit. The Old Capitol Inn was cozy and beautiful. The staff is extremely accommodating (the owner gave my party and I a ride in her own personal vehicle to our conference). Beds were turned down every night, clean towels every day, delicious breakfast every morning, lovely lunch served on the adorable patio. I could go on and on. I felt at home and will definitely be returning. Great hotel in a great city!

Room Tip: Check out all the historic places surrounding the hotel. Staff was very informative regarding thing...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Strathclyde, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

stayed here as part of our driving tour of southern states. The hotel is fantastic, we had designer suites as booked, and they were just perfect - except that coffee taken in the room is charged ( not a huge expense but one I feel is unnecessary ) the amenities were all there with everything thought of. The free cheese and wine are a nice touch, and the breakfast is excellent. You can eat outside on the lovely terrace if you so wish. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for anyone looking to stay in Jackson, there is secure gated parking at no extra charge right beside it.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank G1asgowk1ss
Boulder, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

I was in Jackson for just one night, for a business meeting, and chose this place because it seemed to have more charm than a chain hotel, for about the same price. I'm glad I did. It's quaint and very pleasant, and the staff were relaxed and helpful. The room was a nice blend of old-South (e.g., charming French windows overlooking the little garden out back) and appropriate updates for the modern traveler.

It's not right downtown; expect about a 15-20 minute walk to restaurants (such as they are in downtown Jackson - only a few). But I found the walk pleasant. It takes you past the rather imposing Gov's Mansion and a lot of fragrant boxwood.

It is a short cab ride to the Eudora Welty Home, which I highly recommend if you're a fan of literature. Well conserved, delightful docent, lovely garden. Eudora lived there recently enough (she passed in 2001) that you can still feel her vibe.

Breakfast was solid and featured a few Southern items - grits, tomato gravy (new for me), beignets, biscuits, etc.

All in all, a pleasant, comfortable spot. I would stay there again without even bothering to look at other options.

Room Tip: Probably quieter on the courtyard side, though I didn't experience the streetside rooms personal...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Oxford, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Had no idea anything like this existed in Jackson. A wonderful B&B in the middle of downtown. Rooms are spacious, clean and quiet. Garden area is beautiful, and the entire facility is extremely well-maintained. Wine and cheese during happy hour was really nice. Breakfast may have been the best I've ever had in a hotel anywhere. The hotel and parking area are extremely safe. May not be the best place for children -- no pool -- but other than that, this place stands head and shoulders above anything else in the city. Check out the roof top garden (with a hot tub). Really excellent hotel in every respect.

Room Tip: There are no 'bad' rooms. Several have a view of the garden area, along with a balcony; ver...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business