“Favorite in Jackson” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Jackson
Stillwater, MN
“Favorite in Jackson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2010

Last night was my third visit to the Old Capitol Inn. My colleague and I keep returning when we come to Jackson because it's a very special place to stay. The rooms are spacious and uniquely and attractively designed. Quiet. Convenient. Helpful staff. Breakfast and wireless internet included for no charge.

Rooftop garden is lovely. Have stayed three times (all at different times of the year) and each time there is a sign saying the jacuzzi is 'closed for repairs"....so I don't know if that's a wild coincidence, or if it has been closed for three years.

Rooms are lovely. My only complaint was that the rooms had too much air freshener in the air. I had to open the windows to air out the smell.

But, I love the hotel and would highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
central mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2010

The place is amazingly and surprisingly unique. Very quite and romantic...just what we were looking for to celebrate our anniversary. The staff were friendly and unobstrusive. The inn is very clean and captured a 1950's feel without being old and shabby...there is a lot of character and ambience. The breakfast was wonderful...loved the creamy grits. Our room was on the front with only a sidewalk seperating it from the 5 lane street...we never heard a sound. The bath was very clean - a pet peeve of mine - and even had a fresh flower in a vase - -great touch! We'd heard about safety issues in downtown Jackson but we felt very safe. We will stay here again and have already recommended it to family & friends.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mississippigirl66
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2010

This hotel is an absolute hidden gem in Jackson. I booked the hotel as a special Valentine's treat for my wife and the accommodations and staff exceeded our expectations! We were blown away the very instant that we stepped inside the ultra-cool lobby of this boutique hotel. The room that we booked--the Bogue Chitta Room--was a swanky space with a pleasant mix of contemporary and traditional furnishings. In fact, the decor was so nice that it felt as if we were visitors in a very nice home.

We will definitely be staying at this hotel again. Also, if you have special requests for your stay, make sure to contact the front desk. For our special Valentine's stay, they were able to make arrangements for a dozen roses (beautifully arranged), champagne, and breakfast in bed. The breakfast was wonderful and their lunch is just as delightful.

This hotel, with its well decorated rooms, friendly staff, retreat-like courtyard, and cool rooftop deck makes for an excellent getaway.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thirdcup
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2009

Checked in late one evening Emilyn was very helpful in letting me know where I can go for dinner that evening. When I got into my room the lamps were on and I had a flower in my bathroom - I felt right at home. After dinner I was surprised to see that turndown services was provided. I got right into bed and work on my computer all night with the hotels complimentary wireless. I got up early the following morning and got a cup of coffee right outside my door. I headed down to the lobby were breakfast was served. I had an outstanding view of the garden while I ate the most delicious grits while reading the paper. The staff was very friendly Rick and Jeff could not have been more helpful. I walked to my meeting. This Hotel I would certainly recommend and can't wait to come back.

Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2009

I spent four nights here for work. The best part is the courtyard with a Koi pond, trees, a fountain and benches. I ate breakfast there before it was too hot-- the only time of the day that I spent outside. The Inn has off-street parking that is locked at night. For five dollars, you can work out at the amazing Baptist Church gym next door, top notch facilities. I stayed at one of the cheaper rooms and it was very small, but had a nice balcony. The service was mixed. I arrived at 6:30 pm and wasn't told about the how to get into the locked parking area The front door of the inn was locked and no one answered the front door. I had to call by phone to get in. I think that they could have told me the parking code ahead of time. In general, the night person was not particularly helpful or friendly. Jeff who manned the front desk during the day was extremely friendly and helpful. It is a short walk to the state Capitol and other government offices.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Houston, Texas ya'll
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

My wife and I stayed here for one night while my parents watched our infant. The exterior appearance belies the old world charm of the interior, especially the lobby area, which seems cramped. Also, accessing the entrance from the parking lot is tricky with more than one piece of luggage (no bellman!) The hotel is long and narrow, which probably accounts for this. Our lobby level room, the Beauvoir, was a beautiful and well appointed split-level with the sitting room up and bedroom/bathroom down. The decor in the sitting room was a combo of modern with a lovely antique writing desk. The bed was very comfortable and the large closet (I'm a large man, and there was enough room for me to walk-in and turn around) was great. The bathroom was wonderful except for the jacuzzi bath. Actually the bath was fine, but we noticed the accumulated water had a dark tint to it, and afterwards, our skin felt like we had been exposed to hard water. The only other draw-back was the night we stayed there, there was a very loud, boisterous group of late teens having some sort of function. They partied well into the night and the noise seemed to be amplified. We called the front desk to complain and soon they quieted down. I think they were leaving is the reason. Overall a lovely hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Im_ya_Huckleberry
Blackpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2009

The hotel was excellent for our one night stay nice room with included southern breakfast, probably one of the best we experienced.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family