“Big Value for the small price!”
Review of Magnuson Inn

Magnuson Inn
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Ocean Springs
Reviewed 29 August 2011

My daughter and I stayed at the Quality Inn this past weekend. We did not arrive until late Friday, but our room was still ready and available. The gentlemen at the front desk was very helpful and pleasant. I believe that his name was Loi. We were visiting a relative at the Ocean Springs Hospital, so the hotel was very conveniently located. The room was very clean and spacious. I only stayed at the hotel for two nights, but I was very pleased with everything. They offer a free continental breakfast, but we did not partake in it. I used my AAA discount, so the room was under $80. Can't beat that for: two double beds, refrigerator, microwave, etc.. They even offer Wi-fi now.....no more ethernet cables needed. LOL!! Overall good deal. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 July 2011

We booked on Thursday night, for a Saturday night stay (on the 23rd) and got literally one of the last rooms available on the Gulf Coast for the weekend! We actually booked through their website, as it came in CHEAPER than any of the discounted sites!

We were told we could check in after 3pm, but when we called around lunch the room was already ready for us! YEAH. it was a breeze to check in and the desk clerk was VERY helpful! Plus they moved us to a downstairs room, prior to our arrival, as they had a last minute cancellation and they knew we had a 4 yr old with us! Super yeah if you;ve ever dealt with a very tired and HEAVY child you're carrying up stairs!

The room was EXACTLY as pictured and VERY clean! Linens were fresh and room smelled CLEAN. We did spray with room spray we brought with us, but that is our own personal perk- we do it no matter what hotel we are staying at- 3 star or 5 star!

Everything worked just fine in our room. The coffee maker had decaf an refular coffee, plus the desk keeps coffee going all night, in case you don't want to make any/wake up anyone sleeping. Plus they have hot water if you need tea.The beds/pillows were just fine- we slept without ANY problems! The desk clerks were very helpful in directing us to nearest stores, when needed.

The pool was clean as it could be with a LARGE group of teens who got in, before they could clean it after it rained VERY hard. Not much you can do about that! However they were at it cleaning it bright and early the next day.The hot tub section was not working, but that was probably a plus, due to the amount of teens.

The Wi-Fi is NOT smartphone enabled. It is high-speed dsl and you have to plug in via connection on laptop. As we were on vacation, it didn't bother us, and would be fine for business trips.

Breakfast was a surprise! Eggs and sausage, plus muffins, bagels, french toast, waffles, 2 types of cereal, oatmeal, fresh fruit, large yogurts, AND waffles.AND plenty of condiments. 3 choices of juices, plus milk, coffee and tea. We were really surprised by how much food was put out, given it wasn't a higher star rated hotel.

Overall we had a very enjoyable stay and liked the quietness of the area, plus the availability of eating establishments nearby (TRY the Italian place across the street- VERY good and excellent prices!). We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Check their website for special deals!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank NicoleH
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I don't think I'll book again with Expedia. This is the second hotel that has been a disaster that I have booked through them. The info says there's a casino.... not there closest is Biloxi. Walked in and it smelled like sour Lysol. The friend that went with me had a fight with the old lady at the desk the next morning trying to get a waffle prepared she physically came over and got in her ear yelling. Beds felt like you were lying on a slab of concrete. My friend was in her 20's and she could hardly walk the second day. A non-smoking room had cigarette burns all over the tub. You can find much better hotels for the $59 and $69 we paid for two nights, like I said I'm through with Expedia.

Room Tip: If it doesn't smell good or look good first thing go complain and see if you can get another roo...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank fergiebaby1
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Some relatives and I stayed at this hotel during a weekend trip to Biloxi, MS. The staff was wonderful. The rooms could use an upgrade though.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I turned a solo business trip into a small family getaway. The staff was courteous and welcoming. There is no wireless internet which was a problem on the business side. Fortunately, the lobby had wireless and I could work poolside while the family played. I was surprised that the hotel was well-priced and clean. It is located near several restaurants and activities. The staff brought us fresh towels and offered to clean our room when we extended our stay. They even provided extra towels even though it wasn't requested.
The rooms have wired internet so bring a LAN cable. The hotel did not have any working cables.
Our only issue was a misunderstanding about late checkout. Our key was inactive and the front desk had to let us into the room.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2010

We made reservations for this hotel the night before we were to arrive. We were just traveling through and wanted to break up the drive. When we arrived about 10PM, we found Jerimaih, the choice hotel representive, made the reservations for the previous night. We were charged for that night. We called choice hotels back to resolve the problem. It took 15 minutes for them to even answer the phone. We ended up having to pay for another night and were given another number to call to try to get our account credited for the night Jerimaih booked wrong. We were told it might take 4 days for the account to be reimbursed. We have not made that call yet so we will see how that turns out.
When we finally got a room, it smelled BAD!!! We were told it was the last room so we took it since we had been on the road since 5:30 am. The key would not open the door. Jacob, the very friendly, helpful front desk clerk, came down and could not get the key to work either. The toilet barely flushed and there was mold on the ceiling. When we started to sit on the bed, I noticed mold on the headboard. I called the front desk to inquire about wireless internet, since it was advertised. Jacob W. informed me the motel did not have wireless but I could get a cable. The cable did not work. He came down and could not get the internet to work either. I showed him the mold on the headboard and he decided to move us to the room next door. Upon arrival in there, the internet still did not work. We decided to go to bed and just leave in the morning.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2009

We have been staying with this group since 2006, they have always been very friendly and caring! It is an older unit, but they have mantained it very well! The staff is very attentive to all of our needs! I would recommend this unit to anyone traveling in the area!
It is easy to get to from I-10!
We plan on continuing to stay with them this next year as we work in the area!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business