“Unbelievable”
Review of Andover Plantation

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Olive Branch
Andover Plantation
Ranked #1 of 2 Olive Branch B&B and Inns
Jackson, Tennessee
“Unbelievable”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I didn't want to leave but since I couldn't stay longer I was anxious to get home and tell everyone how awesome this place is.

My husband and I just moved from the Desoto County area a few months ago. It was ironic to be going back there for vacation. We had a very stressful spring and wanted to go somewhere we could just do "nothing". Andover did not disappoint. Since we lived in the area previously we didn't feel compelled to leave the property to do touristy things.

We arrived our first night and were blown away by how beautiful it was. Bonus when she said what time would you like your breakfast to arrive. Our entire purpose/goal was to relax and do nothing, so the idea of breakfast in our room was amazing.

That first night we went down to the porch off the pool, which was beautiful by the way, We just sat on the porch swing and listened to it rain. It was so peaceful. Great way to begin our trip to decompress. We later grabbed a movie from their collection and watched it in our room. We realized late on the second day that there was cable. We were actually glad to have not known since for us it would have been a distraction.

The next day after eating an absolutely delicious breakfast in bed and being utterly lazy we headed back to the porch swing. We spent most of our day there just reading. Our room had its own balcony with rockers and a bistro table and chairs. We had brought the leftovers of our Subway lunch from the day before. There was a mini fridge in the common area for us to store it. So we ate our leftovers for lunch on our balcony.

Our only regret was that we had not planned at least one more day. Lin was an absolutely delightful host. There were other guests staying there but we never saw them and only heard doors a few times during the day. It was so peaceful and quiet. Just what we needed for our short getaway. We are thinking maybe this needs to be an annual retreat for us. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We would book early enough next time to get a room with a porch on the back. The view of the gardens...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

There's not really to much that I can add to the previous reviews posted, except for saying that I do agree wholeheartedly with them, and that's not always been my experience with TripAdvisor (sometimes I wonder if I've stayed at a different property, there's been some sort of alien abduction/substitution, or maybe it's just me). Anyway, I digress...

Andover is a great place to stay. Maybe a little out of the way, but certainly within striking distance of Memphis, and the rural location makes for good sleep quality (always a consideration, as staying in a city means paying for a really good hotel with A/C, and double glazing, and hopefully quiet neighbors and lifts...).

Suffice to say, room and property carefully and classily appointment and decorated; a quality fit-out that was well maintained. Multiple public spaces inside and outside to relax, and breakfast was delivered to the room at a time of your choosing. We actually chose to have a picnic dinner on the balcony - as opposed to dine out - given that the environment was so welcoming.

The only thing missing, and it's only a minor point (and may have been a temporary thing, or a location thing), there didn't seem to be Wi-Fi available. No big deal.

The acid test (would I return): yes, absolutely.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I am not a "Bed and Breakfast" guy by any means (give me the Four Seasons any day...) but you cannot do the Andover Plantation justice by calling it a "B&B"; it is a beautiful example of "old Memphis" charm. We stayed for two nights in mid-March, and I hated to leave. The building is large, beautiful, and exquisitely furnished. The "innkeeper" (owner Lynn) is a warm and gracious host, and she has done an amazing job of decorating the property; there is simply not a square inch of the interior that isn't carefully thought out and finished. The grounds are large and also well cared for. Our room (at the top of the stairs to the left) was spacious, with a soft bed and very comfortable sitting area. The room was quiet, and very private (the bathroom was shared with another room, but the layout was actually a large suite separated into two bedrooms that we shared with friends). Breakfast was scrumptious; Lynn is an excellent cook. She was very helpful with ideas for things to see in Memphis, and she made every effort to make us feel at home (okay, my home is nothing like this place...). Do not be concerned about the Plantation's relative distance from Memphis; it is an easy 20 minute drive, and the whole "plantation" aura wouldn't work if it were any closer to the city. It is actually quite easy to get to, and worth every minute of the drive when you get there (we arrived quite late due to our flight into Nashville, and Lynn was patiently waiting for us). I simply cannot say enough good things about the property or its host. I had originally thought about staying at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis (due to its history) but I wouldn't stay anywhere but this place if I am lucky enough to visit that area again. The proprietors of the Andover Plantation have obviously worked hard at making the property what it is, and you will not be disappointed with the results.

Room Tip: We peeked around to look at the other rooms, and there isn't a inferior choice to make. There is...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We were visiting Memphis and didn't like the selection of hotels--either above our budget or iffy on the reviews. The Andover Plantation is about 30 minutes away but that didn't bother us one bit when we saw how beautiful it was and how wonderful our room was. There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said: lovely house and bedrooms, great breakfast, peaceful setting. From now on, I'm checking out local B&Bs before I look at hotels when we travel.

My only nitpick would be that it would have been nice if they had offered some little welcoming treat like a couple cookies or fruit--or a mint on the nightstands. I've never been to a B&B that didn't offer something or other in the late afternoon/evening. I was glad we had snacks in the car.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Spring, Texas
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This is a wonderful b&b. We enjoyed the beautiful home and the lovely grounds. We stayed in the Plantation Ste which is very large and comfortable. The shower was terrific. If you visit b&bs often, you will know that is often not the case, so it is much appreciated. Breakfast was brought to our room hot and delicious. There is a fun room downstairs with a pool table that is away from the rooms and has a door so you don't feel like you are bothering anyone with your game. The whole house is elegant but comfortable and warm. Very nice!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sherry339
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

A wonderful building - beautifully decorated and furnished. Our accommodation was first class. Excellent breakfast. Sadly we only stopped the one night - on our way through. We chose it because of the name - we come from Andover UK - and it proved to be an excellent choice.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LesW1
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We were travelling from Louisiana to Ohio for medical treatment for our daughter and wanted a place to spend the night so that our daughter could rest peacefully. This was definitely the place! The cottage was gorgeous, the grounds were peaceful, and the owner was warm, friendly and accommodating! We absolutely loved our stay here and wished we could have stayed longer! We will definitely be back! It beats staying in an expensive and noisy hotel room any day! Lin was very considerate and made sure that our breakfast was appealing to our children...and she delivered it to the front door of our cottage. Top notch!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family