“happy to be here!”
Review of Castle Hill

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oxford
Castle Hill
Ranked #10 of 12 Oxford B&B and Inns
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“happy to be here!”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My husband and I stayed in Peggy's Room at Castle Hill and were very pleased with our experience. The owners were on site and were there to make sure our experience was a good one. We had a hot breakfast provided for two of our days ~ I think as long as there is communication about what the expectations are, the owners are willing to meet them.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Biloxi, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Beautiful property and facilities. Guest house is not recommended. Specifically, Dixie Room is not recommended. Room is directly above owners living area. My husband and I were awakened to what sounded like furniture being moved at 5:00 a.m. followed by the owner's television (downstairs) around 6:00 a.m. No sleep! Was exhausted and had a difficult time enjoying my day because I was so exhausted due to no sleep! First time I have ever been to an establishment where soap, shampoo, etc., not provided. Make sure you bring soap, shampoo, conditioner, blow dryer, coffee cups, etc., These items were not provided. In addition, forget breakfast. Continental breakfast is yogurt and breakfast bars. Again beautiful property! As long as you are an early riser (really early) and not expecting much for breakfast, you may be satisfied. For me, considering the price, I will look for other options when in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank candicep45
seattle washington
Reviewed 7 January 2013

So I arrive and photograph the exterior architecture, enter the place. It is freezing cold. An unkempt lady eventually emerges with a cane and says the owners are not in town. She cannot find my reservation but it is written down somewhere in pencil on the tacky bar. I ask to see the room. It is tiny, cold, and there is no place to even rest a lap top. I go downstairs and she calls the owner who proceeds to yell at me, interrupt me, and tell me I should have done more research on the internet before booking. I decide I simply cannot stay in this dungeon and the owner tells me she is going to keep my $154 deposit before I did not cancel within seven days. We finally agree on half of that amount and with great relief I exit this awful shell with almost no guests or service and drive to Memphis. I have never left a place in all my years. Stay away.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank seattlepro

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

USA
Reviewed 1 January 2013

As one of the earlier reviewers said, there are NO hostess or really any staff here. I am from Oxford and heard a lot about how great this place was so when I came back to visit with my boyfriend, we stayed at Castle Hill. It was embarrassing to say the least. When we arrived, the owner took our card, ran it for for a very high amount, and then told us that they were leaving for a week and wouldn't be there but a house keeper would be there. There was NO breakfast for the entire week, there were no other guests for most of it, we were completely alone. The housekeeper was terrible and we had to call the owners to remind her to come to our room to clean it. When she did come, she didn't really clean. I mean, our coffee cups from the morning would still be there with trash around them but she would make the bed? It was disgusting! The room wasn't even in the main house even though we were the only guests! The bar area was open and was on the "honor system" whatever that is, as stated before NO staff, NO phones, NO breakfast (for us), NOTHING. What a waste of a building. If the family was going out of town, they shouldn't have taken our money and given us the room. Stay away, this place is a rip off and ruined our trip completely.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank ayocricket
Killen, Alabama
Reviewed 25 January 2012

This was a nice experience... The owners were not in your face. The rooms were very nice and quiet and beds comfortable. The views are really nice as this place is situated on a high point. Breakfast was really nice and the hash browns were great. The pool was a lot of fun with the nephews.
Negatives were probably having to ask for towels. The location is a few miles from downtown Oxford, but it's a quick drive on hwy 6. Also, it's a bit pricy to not be downtown.

Room Tip: Peggy room was great, plenty of room, nice bed.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Central Maine
Reviewed 19 May 2011

The business has recently changed hands. The facility is excellent. Located at the top of a hill with lovely views, it consists of a pillared, claasical revival main house and a separate addition in the rear. The grounds were well tended. All in all, a lovely facility. But...
We were there three days and two nights and never saw a host/hostess. There was no one there to welcome us or to answer questions. There are no phones in the room and our room did not have an alarm clock. The first night there were no bars of soap in the bathrooms. The tub was clean, but so slippery that I skipped my shower the second morning. Two bulbs were out in the chandeliers. As yet, neither my GPS nor MapQuest gave me accuate direections and there are none on the resort's website. This is a wonderful facility, and, in time, I'm certain that all these little things will be corrected.

Room Tip: All these
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fosterdog18
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxford
Graduate Oxford
The Z
#1 of 12 in Oxford
Holiday Inn Express Oxford
Hampton Inn Oxford Conference Center

Been to Castle Hill? Share your experiences!