Holiday Inn Express Oxford
  • Restaurant
US$82
US$76
QualityInn
Hampton Inn Oxford-West(Oxford)(Great Value!)
US$117
TownePlace Suites Oxford(Oxford)(Great Value!)
US$162
US$127
US$117
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsstayed hereole missfull occupancyhotel is centrally locatednight staycinnamon rollsin towncomplimentary breakfastking bedmy daughterlobbysquareuniversitymsgame
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The General Manager is rude and unhelpful. She flat out refused to credit me for 1 night stay $138. Even though the policy in the room clearly states, if part of your stay is unsatisfactory, contact the manager. We promise to make it right, or you wont pay for that part of your stay. Stayed here for 2 nights, and on the 2nd night I returned to my room after midnight to find my room had not been cleaned. No fresh towels etc..When I complained to the desk that night, I was told that there was nothing they could do. Really? Spoke to GM the following morning and shes telling me the maid said I didnt want service that day. I ask her why would I say such a thing? Who is she gonna believe, the paying customer, or the lazy maid staff? So snotty and condesending. When I complained to 800# & there website. I received a rude vm from her that she sees I called 800# & left a complaint on the website. She would be more than happy to explain to me again to situation. I dont need her to tell me what a maid said. The maid doesnt want to get in trouble for not doing her job. Never had such a bad experience in all my years of travel. I WILL NEVER STAY AT A HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS after this nightmare. This is how they treat priority club members. What a joke.

• Stayed: March 2012
5  Thank Tee88
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Tee88,

Thank you for your recent stay, and providing feedback. It is unfortunate you received service that was unacceptable. We are pleased to find this has been further addressed and resolved by our Customer Care team. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed 31 December 2011

...namely, the renovation supplies piled up near the elevator, the out-of-date television sets in the rooms, the single elevator for the entire hotel, the non-functional equipment in the exercise room, and the easily-clogged toilets. Feels like they are trying to pinch pennies where possible or just not fully committed to keeping everything up to speed. Unfortunately, it suffers a bit when compared to the Hampton Inn next door.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 October 2011

I just returned from a short stay in Oxford. I stayed at this property for 3 nights.

The newly remodeled rooms are quite nice. The drapes kept out most of the light and the heating/AC unit was reasonably quiet and efficient. There was a good selection of TV channels and a good size TV.

The desk was a little cramped between the bed, the window, and the AC unit.

The beds while a little high were very firm and some might consider them uncomfortable. There were soft and firm pillows available but I like a harder pillow than these.

The bathroom was well appointed and clean. The shower had the omnipresent bowed rod and a decent shower head . There vent really did not remove the moisture and the mirror fogged and the countertop was wet after taking a hot shower.

The internet service was pretty good and perfectly priced. (FREE).

The free breakfast buffet was what you come to expect, nothing special but OK.

The first floor public areas are still being finished (at least I hope they aren't done) and look a little spotty but nothing disastrous. The one negative comment I would make about the remodel is the choice of hall carpets. I understand that it is a busy pattern to hide the dirt and wear and tear but it already looks dingy. This creates a negative impression even before getting to your room.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank BeenThere_Didntdoit
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Great choice for lodging in Oxford. It was about 20 dollars cheaper than Hampton Inn. The breakfast was actually much better than the Hamtpon where we stayed on our last visit. The one thing about the Holiday Inn that seems to be a problem is there is only one elevator for the entire hotel. They have finished the renovations to the hotel lobby so that was a plus too.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I stayed here before, and gave them the benefit of the doubt by thinking (hoping) things were one-off problems. I now know that they are not, and the problems here run deep.

The hotel is under renovation. Yes, that happens. But this is worse than my worst home renovation story, and slower than anyone could ever imagine. Reviewers complained about it for May, and then others after that, and now I'm adding to the complaints (still renovating at the end of August - see pictures). In May, I was told it would be finished before I arrived; in June I was told it was almost done; in August, I was told it was almost done. I am not the only guest fed up with the mess, and the constant excuses.

Others have complained about the erratic (at best) internet and now I am, too (I think I was very lucky last time I stayed here). The first night I was told I was too far from the router (OK, get a bigger router, or a repeater), the second night the excuse was that there were too many people on line (get a bigger router, or a repeater, to handle your hotel capacity), and the third night I was offered a room change and the staff member was visibly annoyed that I didn't accept it - at 2:00am. And of course, there was no guarantee this would fix the issue.

With all these problems the next day I was going to use the computer in their (advertised) business center to do some work, and to print a few pages. By this stage I wasn't surprised that despite what they say on the hotel's website, the Holiday Inn Express does NOT have a business area. The staff member at the front desk didn’t say it was part of the 3-4-5 month renovation - she didn’t even know if they ever had one.

The hotel has only one, very slow elevator (shared by all the guests, and the staff and their equipment), and to add insult to injury the pastries at breakfast were stale, and the scrambled "egg" was something yellow and rubbery - maybe reconstituted egg product?

Some of the staff members act like they are doing you a favor letting you stay there, while others apologize for the long-term renovations and internet problems, but they don't do anything, they (presumably) don't tell the manager about the (many) unhappy customers, and the manager doesn't return messages to call the customer.

Both Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express are overpriced, and priced similarly (no discount offered for renovations or anything else), but there are a few key differences - Hampton Inn has a swimming pool (Holiday Inn has no pool), it has a good breakfast (see above comments, and those from others), and it has a business center - but only the lobby has wireless internet. And Hampton Inn has a satisfaction guarantee.

If the Holiday Inn Express has no interest in satisfying its customers, advertises facilities it doesn't have, charges full price for less than optimal facilities, doesn't have a pool, and has long term, ongoing internet problems (see ALL the reviews), and the only reason I stayed there or recommended it earlier was for the internet ... I strongly suggest you stay elsewhere.

Note: The stay above was in August (that was my second time at this hotel), but I had to wait because Trip Advisor has a limit how often you can review a hotel. So I waited a couple extra days because I was visiting the area again last week.

This was the middle of September and I did NOT stay there, but I stopped in to see the status of the renovations: the lobby still needs to be painted, there is still no business center, and the cones and construction materials are near the elevator in the same place as in the picture I took 4 weeks ago. I'm not sure exactly how long they have been "renovating" the area; I do know it has beein going on for at least 4 (or is it 5, or 6) months and during this period they still charge full price, and if you ask ahead of time they always say it is "almost finished".

Room Tip: Rooms are nice - if that's all you want.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family