“Comfort Inn - Aging & Tired (the hotel, not you)”

Quality Inn and Suites
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Oxford
Crystal Springs, Mississippi
“Comfort Inn - Aging & Tired (the hotel, not you)”
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Comfort Inns are generally good to very good in my experience. This one is good. It's not a terrible place to stay, But, the signs of aging and wear and tear are evident. The breakfast area was very crowded.

This is the only Choice brand hotel in town.

Oxford is due for a Comfort Suite, an upgrade over this Comfort Inn. When it comes, I'm afraid this Comfort Inn may be downgraded to a Quality Inn if the company does not get on the stick and spend some money updating this property.

2 Thank rick s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
NYC
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I found myself at the Comfort Inn motel (not hotel) on a trip with a friend to the archives at the University of Mississippi. It has a good location, right by campus….there….now….The morning before we were to check in, I called the front desk to inform them that we would be arriving late at night, as we were driving in from 16 hours away. They told me that this would be fine. We did, in fact, arrive very late to find that they had put us down as a no-show (despite the fact that I had prepaid for the room…and called). The person at the front desk was nice enough and found us a room, though she said I would have to return after she had a chance to have the manager draw up whatever paperwork was needed to occupy it. When I returned to sign the forms, the manager was somewhat rude, though I'm not sure if it was me or something else she was annoyed with.

The first thing I noticed upon entering the room were the cigarette burns covering the comforters on both beds. The chairs were covered in what seemed like twenty years worth of stains. The walls were thin - I kept hearing my neighbors turning on and of their lamp behind my head as I was lying down (something I hesitated to do). And there was a red stain on the fitted sheet of my bed that I just ignored as I laid above the covers. The smoke alarm would go off periodically, two or three beeps at a time, it woke me up 2 or 3 times the first night. I could also hear it echoing in other rooms. If you are a non-smoker intent on staying here, make sure to reserve a non-smoking room - smoking rooms are apparently still a thing in Mississippi.

Not worth the sticker price. Try the Hampton Inn across the street.

4 Thank Matthew S

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I booked this place thinking it was a Comfort Suites and Inn franchise like the name implies. It may be but it's the worst Comfort Suites I've stayed in. The furniture is dated and beat up, the mattress is not far behind. The couch, maybe it's a fold out, not sure, but it looked too dirty to sit on much less sleep on. The toilet, this was the worst part, had mold or some unidentfied growth at the base.

Checking in was a pain. Apparently the key card machine has not worked correctly for some time, check in lady said the owner finally ordered a new one but it was expensive and has not come in yet. Checking out was a real joy. The system was down, the clerk was mad, and couldn't print a reciept. She said she'd email a reciept, I'm not holding my breath for that.

It's a good $40-$50 a night one stop in and out but that's about it.

6 Thank TOM S
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 4 March 2013

(kimberlyb and I were there together - see post by kimberlyb)Kimberly's post is very kind in this situation. Everything she said is true about our stay. Nasty Vomit Room, Disappearing phone cord, and worst of all, the way we were treated by the assistant manager. The arrangements and reservations were made by me and the following is my experience with management. Today's phone conversation with the owner/manager was more of the same.
When I got home from Missisippi, I began writing my complaint on line and decided to call the hotel to verify the front desk clerk's name before I submitted . I spoke with the staff member who moved us out of the vomit room and discounted our stay. (she was very nice and professional) I told her about the incident with the disappearing phone charger and assistant manager screaming at us and she convinced me to wait and talk to Laura, the owner before I post anything. I agreed and waited for her to call the next day. When I told her about our horrific stay, she told me if I do not post anything she will refund all of my money and be happy to have me back at her hotel. We agreed and she said the money would be in my account by the end of the week. I kept my end of the bargain and did not submit my post. I did not know my sister Kimberly had already posted something until today. I called a few days ago to follow up with Laura about the refund that I had not yet received and had to leave her a message. She didn't call back so I called again today. She told me I will not get my refund because I posted my complaint on line. I said I did not and she called me a liar and referred me to this website. I have never posted anything on this site before and I did not know at the time that my sister, kimberlyb posted anything until now. I asked her why she hadn't contacted me to let me know she was not refunding my money as agreed and she told me it was the owner's decision and responsibility to do that. I asked to speak to the owner; she said I could not speak to him, he is her husband. They are the owners and she is the Manager. She said if I would contradict the complaint/review and say it is fraudulent, that someone posted it in my name, she would refund my money. If I did that, I would be lying because everything said is the post is true. I told her to keep the $169.

Room Tip: 207 reeks like vomit
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank eafinkelstein
Laura H, General Manager at Quality Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
I am very sorry for your experience, but I must tell you I find this review fraud, because this is the third review under different names. I have never spoken with you, so I am concerened. As a General Manager it is upsetting to know when your guests are not happy, but it is more frustrating when we get reviews like this and I read about a conversation that you stated you had with Laura. Laura is me, and I am the only Laura here, and I have never spoken with you, nor did I tell you the owner was my husband. I would like for you to call me so we can come to a resolution. Also, I will be reporting this to Trip Advisor, because this review is untrue and I want it investigated. There are other reviews below that are connected with you, that I am also having Trip Advisor investigate.
Lookout Mountain, Georgia
Reviewed 15 February 2013

This hotel is located about 2 blocks away from a Hampton Inn, and Holiday Inn express. However, it is significantly less expensive than the other properties. If you want the frills and beautiful rooms,,Stuff Lions and lionnesses and great staffs, by all means, enjoy your stay up on top of the hill. I've stayed at both. But, if you just need a room for the night,,this one is clean enough, and less expensive to accommodate.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
gilmer
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We arrived the other day to visit Ole Miss.. We got in at 2:00 a.m. to check into our room. As soon as we opened the door it was clear that this room was, to say the least, nasty. It smelled like must, was filthy, outdated and just old feeling. As we put our bags down, we walked to the rear of the room which smelled like vomit. We all decided we were too tired and would deal with it in the morning. When we woke up, we noticed old carpet, some sort of "funk" on the wall and stale towels. When we went to shower, we grabbed a towel that had clearly been used. That was our last straw. We called management and they changed our room. Unfortunately, we forgot one of our phone cords. We went to the front desk and they gave us a key to the old room. It wasn't there. We went back down and explained that our cord was lost and asked them to ask housekeeping. We went back again and was told that the housekeeper "didn't speak english but she did say that she had found the cord and plugged it in - in the same spot where we had left it (behind the microwave). We KNEW that wasn't true as we looked there time and time again. In fact, we looked at every outlet and there was no cord. So, the next night, my nephew came to stay with us in the room, he put his bags down on the chair. The next morning we all went to breakfast in the lobby together. I approached the front desk person and again asked if she had asked the housekeeper again where the cord might be. She gave me the same reply, this time with attitude. We returned to our room and to our complete surprise... the cord was actually laid over my nephew's bags. Clearly, she had either quickly returned the cord while we were at breakfast or, if she had truly plugged it in where she found it... then returned to our room, unannounced, and unplugged it and laid it over his bags. Either way - not right. So, we approached Christina, who stated she was a "assistant manager" She actually started yelling at us about us accusing her housekeeper of stealing! She was actually YELLING at us... I started recording our conversation and told her so in which she replied that she "didn't care". We actually left the hotel thinking we had to be on candid camera! It was amazing how unprofessional Christina was while the other front desk person (I can't remember her name) was wonderful! So, besides the complete disregard for customer service combined with the vomit smelling room, the dirty carpet, the funk on the walls and the USED towels... we were disguested all the way around. We will NEVER stay here again and hope you use this rating as advice to not stay there yourself. I do have to say, the second room was nice, the breakfast was fair and that first front desk person was wonderful. That's why I was generous in giving this hotel a 1.

Room Tip: Don't get room 207. CLEARLY someone has vomited in this room and the housekeeping staff has not...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank kimberly b
I am reporting this review to Trip Advisor as I believe this is a fraud review.
Reviewed 30 January 2013

This hotel was the WORST place I have ever stayed. The smell when we walked in was indescribable. It was a smoking room, but that's not what the smell was. We immediately said something to the front desk, she gave us some industrial strength febreeze. We sprayed it everywhere & hoped it would help. It didn't. My husband went to Cvs and bought all the odor eliminators available. Despite our efforts nothing helped. Every thing in this room was stained, broken & filthy. We kept the door open all night.Had there not been tornado & flood warnings we would have driven back home. This & every hotel in Oxford was sold out due to the game, so a different room wasn't an option.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AshleyH30
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxford
Holiday Inn Express Oxford
TownePlace Suites Oxford
The Inn at Ole Miss
The Inn at Ole Miss
#1 of 2 in University

Been to Quality Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!