“Eternally under renovation...”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Jackson-Airport
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Pearl
Reviewed 22 September 2010

Priceline strikes again (that's a rant for another day)! So I booked this hotel through priceline - moving to Texas from Georgia and needed somewhere to lay my head after a long day of driving. I arrived pretty late (12:30am) - when I pulled up and checked in, the attendant asked for a LOT of information (I had to fill out some sort of consent form) , especially considering I was only going to be there overnight. After checking in, there was a family up and about, and they were running around, and being loud...not sure what that's all about? There was renovation going on in the hotel (it seems they have been under renovation for QUITE some time). My room was on the bottom floor...it wasn't the cleanest. The comforter did seem like it hadn't seen any Gain in quite some time, and the floor did not look clean. There was mold on the ceilling on the bathroom and the entire room seemed like the renovation crew hadn't made it there yet. Due to the fact that I was extremely tired and it was only for one night, I sucked it up....if it had been for more than one night I would have gone somewhere else.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 January 2010

I was very surprised by the other bad reviews of this hotel. Being a very picky traveler myself, I found this hotel acceptable. Pilots also stayed at this hotel during our stay.
It is very conveniently located to I-20 and the airport. There are lots of nearby restaurants. The room was clean but does not have a microwave or fridge. The shower has the larger oval shower curtain which is always nice for those who like more room in the shower. The cleaning staff is very friendly as well as the front desk workers. Hotel offers a shuttle which is very nice. Breakfast was decent with belgian waffles available. No hot foods however like eggs, meats etc. They have an indoor pool as well as a whirlpool. We stayed here for 3 nights and selected this location mainly because we were using points, but I would suggest this hotel to others. Obviously they have completed renovations and it is now a much better place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 January 2009

A reviewer in January 2008 said this property was undergoing a refurbishing and in December 2008 it still was. I'm a frequent stay member with Country Inns so used 5000 points + $49 for my stay here, but I wouldn't have been happy to pay much more than that.

I had requested a refrigerator be added to my standard room but the guys working on the breakfast room renovation were called over to take it to my room. I don't want the hassle of having a refrigerator delivered to my room and then wait hours for it to get cold before adding the items from my cooler to it - why wasn't it already in the room and cold when I arrived?

The bedsheets had rips in them and a section of the wallpaper border was totally missing - why does management think that's ok? Breakfast was served in the 2nd floor conference room because of the renovation, which was odd. This property located on the side of the freeway interchange away from restaurants and retail, a few crusty homes and a gas station are adjacent. The renovation workers said that the rooms would get flat panel HD TVs soon, so hopefully this tired property will soon be impressive.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2008

The fact that the hotel's front door - frame and glass - was filthy was the first red flag. This location was a huge disappointment compared to other Country Inn and Suites we've used. The carpet throughout the hotel was black with dirt, overall the place was not well kept, the room was average (but at least quiet and reasonably comfortable), and the staff was adequate if not friendly. Had this been more than a 1 night stay we would not have checked in. There are so many comparably priced alternatives available in the immediate area that we recommend you stay elsewhere.

To their credit, after we filled out an online survey they sent, the general manager e-mailed us to say they would be working on the issues we raised. I hope so, otherwise Country Inn and Suites should strongly consider whether they want their brand associated with this place.

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 8 January 2008

This hotel looked like is was undergoing some minor refurbishing. There were no baseboards is the hallway, things like that. The rooms were adequate, and the breakfast was your standard, but good hotel fare.
I was disappointed in the "fitness room". It only had three machines, and the treadmill was broken, and the front desk had no idea how to use it, much less fix it.
The swimming pool was probably alright, but the hot tub was gross. The water was dark green and it had a gross smell. We had been looking forward to a nice soak after a day of travelling, but we didn't dare go in it.
Other than that everything was fine.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family