“Absolutely Nasty Hotel”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Philadelphia
Birmingham, Alabama
“Absolutely Nasty Hotel”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel because it was pretty much our only choice. We decided to go to Philadelphia on very short notice to see a very popular act at the casino. The resort hotels were booked, as were most of the hotels near the resort. I finally found an available room at this hotel. The room looked like it hadn't been re-carpeted in 20 years. The carpet was so stained I wouldn't even take off my shoes, the bedspread was stained, as were the sheets. The bathroom was passable, but only barely. For what you get (or, don't get), they charge a ridiculous amount for a room. When we go back to Philadelphia, if Quality Inn is the only option, we'll just cancel the trip.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kcp5456

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Louisiana
Reviewed 26 December 2010

We had to stay in Philadelphia, MS for business. The hotels we usually stay at were not there, so we chose this location based on internet reviews. I called the manager, Linda Bozeman, to see if I could get a first floor room guaranteed and a better rate. She accomodated me with these two issues. I asked if the rooms were nice and clean. She told me that I was finding fault before I saw the room and I should stay somewhere else. I always ask that question when I haven't been to a hotel before. I have always been told yes and if you have a problem let us know. We checked in on Friday, 12/17/10. At check in, we were told to lift the door handle up to open the door, so we thought all the doors opened that way. When we got to the room (#115), the door was so difficult to open, that my husband had to throw his shoulder against the door and push it open. It was an older property, so we thought all of the doors must be this way. We tolerated the door. The room was clean and well kept. We had a small ice chest which needed some ice. I went to the first floor ice machine and no ice came out. I went to the front desk about the ice and was told to use the second floor ice machine. I walked upstairs to it and it had no ice either. We gave up and went to bed. We were in town for a business show, so we had food in our ice chest for lunch. On Sat., we ate our lunch, which was not kept very cold since we did not have much ice. Sat. evening, we asked the front desk for some ice and we had to beg to get two small buckets. We were told the ice machines were to be fixed, but the person did not show up. On Sat. night, we both became very ill and it seemed food related. On Sunday morning, I went to breakfast to get some yogurt to settle our stomachs. When I returned to the room, we noticed the yogurt was expired by 10 days. We did not eat it. On Sunday evening, I told the front desk about the yogurt and she checked all of the yogurt and it was all expired. I also asked about if the ice machines had been fixed yet. I was told no, but that she could go buy me ice at the convience store. We had bought some that day, so I told her no. She informed me that she had permission to buy ice for guest on Friday night, too. That was very interesting! I asked if all the door handles opened upward and she told me that only 4 rooms had door handles that opened upward. It was difficult to push it up, but the door was out of wack and jammed. I guess we just lucked out! We requested that our bathroom floor be washed since it was very sticky. It remained sticky the entire stay 12/17-12/20. Also, the sink, in the bathroom did not drain properly. We tolerated it because we did not want a plumber working in our room while we were gone for the day. When we checked out on Monday, I asked to speak to the manager. I was told she was not there, but she could call me later. I told her that I would call the manager later. I did tell the front desk person about the problems and felt I should get some compensation. In the afternoon, I called the manager, Linda Bozeman, and she already knew I had told the front desk. She told me that the bathroom floor may have been sticky from too much cleaner. Linda told me that she ate the yogurt and it was just fine to serve it to guests. She stated that she ate it and did not get sick. She told me that the front desk bought ice at the convience store for the guests and she did not know why I could not get any. She also told me that she was waiting for the owner to approve the repair of the ice machines, so she was going now to buy ice for today's guests. If ice was so readily available, then why did I have to beg to get some? She told us we could have moved our room because of the door. I told her we did not want to move our room once we moved in. Linda was sarcastic in all her responses. She told me that if I was in her position, it looked like I was trying to get something free. I asked if she was going to give us any compensation. She told me she would mail me a business card for a future one night stay for $29.95. She also reminded me that I had a problem with the hotel when I made the reservation. I told her I did not have a problem with the motel at that point. I just asked if it was nice and clean. She was very sarcastic and unaccomodating.
I called Choice Hotels customer service department and spoke to Paula. I told her the problems. She told me I definitely had problems with the hotel and she would refer it to upper management. Later that day, I received an e-mail from Linda Bozeman. Her email did not specifically mention or address any of my issues. It appeared to be a form letter. At the end of her email, was the following statement:

"As for future travels, you should consider staying elsewhere being that you were inconvenienced at our hotel. "

We could not believe her response! I called Choice Hotels Customer Service Department and spoke to Sara. I read her the email response from Linda and she told me that was a polite way of saying that she would refuse me service in the future. She told me all Choice Hotels are individually owned and the individual hotels can do whatever they want. I asked to speak to someone higher up and she transferred me to a specialist named John. He told me the same thing as Sara. The individual hotels can do whatever they want. There are no requirements for each hotel. He offered to mail me a $40 coupon. I refused it because we will never stay at another Choice Hotel. They do not have requirements for their hotels and do not support their customers. I received a customer survey from Quality Inn. I referred them to this website, so they could read all the details. Their survey limits how many characters, so I could not provide them with the details of this terrible experience.
Drury Inn is our #1 choice for hotel stays. They care about the customer and make sure the customer is satisfied. Unfortunately, they are not everywhere yet.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
27 Thank nsmarket

Travellers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Philadelphia
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Philadelphia-Choctaw
#1 of 1 in Decatur
Dancing Rabbit Inn
Dancing Rabbit Inn
#4 of 7 in Philadelphia

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!